Welcoming Committee
14612 posts

Re: Your Children and Gaming

[ Edited ]
Aug 3, 2013

maarillianaire wrote:
I will make sure they understand the difference between fantasy and reality,when they realize games are fantasy they can play anything,but i will have some restrictions eg. no games containing nudity, strong sexuality,or strong language,im gonna be a dad soon bc my wife is pregnant and ive thought of these things in advance,but violence doesnt woryy me as much as sex/cursing does. For example,if my kid was 10 yrs old and wanted to play Skyrim or MoH or CoD i would let him,but if he wanted to play Grand Theft Auto or Assassin's Creed id say no.

Cursing is no big deal for me. It is fine if my future kids hear it (my dad is no saint with curses, so my kids would be ruined in that regard). They just cannot use them. I think cursing should restricted to very rare conversations. They are meant to have an impact when used. They lose any meaning when used as sentence filler.

When I curse, my friends jump at me and quickly ask me in a panicked voice "What is wrong?!" 

When my other friend curses, they just assume he dropped something or is complaining.

I use them rarely and using them comes off with meaning. I refuse to use them as filler. It sounds unbecoming in social situations makes you sound like you have a poor vocabulary.

I want them to be like that for my child, so I will definitely not take any swearing without any good reason.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 21 of 27 (99 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1747 posts

Aug 3, 2013

I don't think the ESRB needs to be vigorously applied like some people here would suggest.

It's a guideline before anything else, showing what content the game contains that can be inappropriate for some users and gives an age recommendation in accordance to that. 

I myself started playing M rated games at about 14 years old, and even at that age I didn't feel influenced in the slightest by what I was seeing on-screen. If I was 10, maybe I would've been. I'd say it all comes down to the kid's level of maturity, if they know that it's just a video game and are mature enough not to be affected by it, then there's no problem in my opinion.

Also, I know some pretty young people (11-12 years old) who play Call of Duty. When not counting how obsessed they are with it sometimes, it doesn't seem to affect them that much either.

This months old sig image will remain till the end of days.
Message 22 of 27 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2123 posts

Aug 3, 2013

I'd start my kid off at the 3 and 7 area. Games like Crash, F1, LBP etc. When they feel ready, I'll let them have a go at the 12 and 16 area. If they want to go to 18 territory early, then I'd play it with them, and monitor if they get squeamish or not. If they do, then I'll hold them back for a while.

Message 23 of 27 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Aug 3, 2013

Ultimately, this comes down to teaching our children about right and wrong, life and death, the birds and the bees, & so on.  It's our responsibility.  If they have a grasp on the concepts at a cognitive level, not only will they be prepared for what they see in games, dare I say they will enjoy them more.

The days of, "Here's a toy, now go play with it," are long gone.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 24 of 27 (83 Views)
I Only Post Everything
923 posts

Aug 3, 2013

Matthewsike1st wrote:

I don't think the ESRB needs to be vigorously applied like some people here would suggest.

It's a guideline before anything else, showing what content the game contains that can be inappropriate for some users and gives an age recommendation in accordance to that. 

I myself started playing M rated games at about 14 years old, and even at that age I didn't feel influenced in the slightest by what I was seeing on-screen. If I was 10, maybe I would've been. I'd say it all comes down to the kid's level of maturity, if they know that it's just a video game and are mature enough not to be affected by it, then there's no problem in my opinion.

Also, I know some pretty young people (11-12 years old) who play Call of Duty. When not counting how obsessed they are with it sometimes, it doesn't seem to affect them that much either.

Excactly! But i think movies ar bigger problems than games,bc in movies now they will have on-screen sex but only have a PG13 rating,but imo one of the only good Steam features is that to acces Mrated games or some Trated games you have to enter your DOB,games should be fun they shouldnt be filled with hookers,drugs,and alchohol,but i say games like CoD or MoH or TES Need for Speed etc. should be accessible to any1 who knows whats a game and whats real life,but i think games like Grand Theft Auto or most AC games should be off-limits for any1 under 17.
.................!!!
Message 25 of 27 (82 Views)
Fender Bender
3578 posts

Aug 3, 2013

ccrogers15 wrote:

Ive got a 2 year old and i plan to actually follow the ESRB, unlike most moron parents.

Im tired of **bleep** parents blaming games for turning kids violent. Its THEIR fault that they dont pay attention to the rating. IT SAYS M17+ FOR A REASON FOOL! STOP ALLOWING 13 YEAR OLDS TO PLAY 17+ GAMES!!!

IMHO, I think parents who get their young children violent games should be educating them about the games and that the violent acts in the games should not be done in real life. That's what my parents did and I'm fine, I'm the opposite of a violent person and I played the GTA games.

Message 26 of 27 (81 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4918 posts

Aug 3, 2013
Personally, I would follow the rating system for a little while. However, once my child was in his/her early teen years, I would allow him/her to decide what games he/she wanted to play.

That being said, one of the funniest things I've ever seen was a two year old girl playing San Andreas.
Message 27 of 27 (70 Views)
0 Likes