Aug 03 2013
By: bob-maul Welcoming Committee 14623 posts

Your Children and Gaming

26 replies 157 views Edited Aug 3, 2013

Thanks to Asuka for inspiring the thread.

I want to ask a question to everyone here. Whether you have a child, had a child, or eventually want one, please post your perspective.

What will/is/was your policy for your children and what games they play? M games, for example.

Personally, I will make my kid learn to appreciate E/T games before M games. I want to teach them that the amount of gore and violence does not make a good game. Mario will be a go-to franchise. When they hit the age of 11 or 12 I will allow violent M games and evaluate their behavior after. If they show violent imitations, I may cut back on those games a bit. It is a case-by-case situation bascially.

I hear my younger brother talking to his dude-bro gamer friends too much. They come over and only want to play CoD on my PS3. Wii is not cool and none of my other PS3 games hold their interest for 10 minutes. LBP? Too slow and not violent enough. All-Stars? Too hard/boring. Same response to every game but CoD.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 1 of 27 (157 Views)
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Re: Your Children and Gaming

Aug 3, 2013

I will introduce my hypothetical children to e games, then move my way up to m. Maybe many will consider me a bad parent, if my 8 year old enjoys blowing up Chimera.

KZMProductionsGT
Message 2 of 27 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2599 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 3, 2013

Ive got a 2 year old and i plan to actually follow the ESRB, unlike most moron parents.

Im tired of **bleep** parents blaming games for turning kids violent. Its THEIR fault that they dont pay attention to the rating. IT SAYS M17+ FOR A REASON FOOL! STOP ALLOWING 13 YEAR OLDS TO PLAY 17+ GAMES!!!

Message 3 of 27 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3408 posts

Aug 3, 2013

I'll start my kids with E games only, when they are around the age I believe they are appropriate to play them. I will check which T games they will play if they are only 5-9 but I will still let them totally play them. Mature games? Sorry but not till thier 16-17. If I think they are ready before this I will let them which will be around 12-14 but most likely not. When I was younger, I didn't play any M games at all and I was mostly a Nintendo fan. I don't want my kids to be like the current generation who likes to play CoD daily.

photo tumblr_ltj7u6nyrU1qetp61o1_500_zpse82365c3.gif
http://auroraterra.deviantart.com/
Message 4 of 27 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Aug 3, 2013

heck i was playing rated m games before i turned 12 and i turned out fine.....for the most part

KZMProductionsGT
Message 5 of 27 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3408 posts

Aug 3, 2013

KZMProductionsGT wrote:

heck i was playing rated m games before i turned 12 and i turned out fine.....for the most part

I started around 14, but I got them taken away cause of my mom. Now It's been years and I got them back again. I would be considered with my future kids started to cuss and thinking killing people is ok just because they saw it in a game.

Message 6 of 27 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14623 posts

Aug 3, 2013

I was playing Conker and Perfect Dark when I was 7. I also messed with San Andreas at a friend's house when I was 9. I turned out fine. I also realize I was not the tyical kid. I did not necessarily enjoy SA or find it that funny. The humor flew right over me and I really did not enjoy the violence all that much. I just wanted my Smash Bros. 

My big problem with the ESRB is it is too general. Violence and sexual themes are different enitrely. CoD and GTA are on different tiers of mature.

Message 7 of 27 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3408 posts

Aug 3, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

I was playing Conker and Perfect Dark when I was 7. I also messed with San Andreas at a friend's house when I was 9. I turned out fine. I also realize I was not the tyical kid. I did not necessarily enjoy SA or find it that funny. The humor flew right over me and I really did not enjoy the violence all that much. I just wanted my Smash Bros. 

My big problem with the ESRB is it is too general. Violence and sexual themes are different enitrely. CoD and GTA are on different tiers of mature.

GTA should be rated alot higher than CoD. The ESRB seems a little to well broad. Needs to be condensed more.

Message 8 of 27 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14623 posts

Aug 3, 2013

HeavensLightfire wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

GTA should be rated alot higher than CoD. The ESRB seems a little to well broad. Needs to be condensed more.

I do not think the ESRB has to be more specific. I just think parents should be educated better on the ratings.  They understand movie ratings oftentimes. They may allow kids to watch Terminator, but not allow them to watch a horror flick or a comedy. But games still cannot get that "for kids" stigma off of them

Message 9 of 27 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3408 posts

Aug 3, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

HeavensLightfire wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

I do not think the ESRB has to be more specific. I just think parents should be educated better on the ratings.  They understand movie ratings oftentimes. They may allow kids to watch Terminator, but not allow them to watch a horror flick or a comedy. But games still cannot get that "for kids" stigma off of them

Will that change than?

Message 10 of 27 (113 Views)
0 Likes