First Son
17 posts

Re: Would your parents accept you if you were gay?

[ Edited ]
Aug 16, 2013

bob-maul wrote:
I agree with it 100% of the time regardless of if it is easy. I have a strong distaste for certain people, but I try and apply this concept. even if you forgive them after you got mad at them, it is fine. It is just forgiving people. Holding grudges is unnecessary stress and is not helping anything. Try to forgive them and see things from their perspective. Drugs are terribly destructive. You are not living in absolute poverty. You have a computer and an internet connection. They obviously did some things right. 

Actually I live with my brother, I have since i was like 16 since they kicked me out and told me if i called the cops they'd tell them i ran away.

BUT I feel you though, totally, like, forgive and forget, that's honestly a really good way to live life, it not only makes you the better person, it makes it easier to deal with crappy people, nah i totally get you 100% i'm not disagreeing with that, since i usually don't even meet people who i have a distaste for or categorize as enemies anyway, not ever really.

I'm just saying my parents, I could really, really, REALLY care less about what they think or what they're doing with there lives right now lol

I don't hold a grudge or anything since i'm out on my own pursuing my own path right now, i don't even really think about them anymore lol i mean i've got college grades to worry about, and bills

I was just saying in relevance to the topic that, I could really care less about them at all in any way fathomable.

I appreciate your input though. You're very wise.

Message 51 of 108 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Aug 16, 2013

Keyblader17 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:
I agree with it 100% of the time regardless of if it is easy. I have a strong distaste for certain people, but I try and apply this concept. even if you forgive them after you got mad at them, it is fine. It is just forgiving people. Holding grudges is unnecessary stress and is not helping anything. Try to forgive them and see things from their perspective. Drugs are terribly destructive. You are not living in absolute poverty. You have a computer and an internet connection. They obviously did some things right. 

Actually I live with my brother, I have since i was like 16 since they kicked me out and told me if i called the cops they'd tell them i ran away.

BUT I feel you though, totally, like, forgive and forget, that's honestly a really good way to live life, it not only makes you the better person, it makes easier to deal with crappy people, nah i totally get you 100% i'm not disagreeing with that, since i usually don't even meet people who i have a distaste for or categorize as enemies anyway, not ever really.

I'm just saying my parents, I could really, really, REALLY care less about what they think or what they're doing with there lives right now lol

I don't hold a grudge or anything since i'm out on my own pursuing my own path right now, i don't even really think about that anymore lol i mean i've got college grades to worry about, and bills

I was just saying in relevance to the topic that, I could really careless about them at all in anyway fathomable.

I appreciate your input though. You're very wise.

I gotcha! Maybe try to connect with them later in life before it is too late. If they died before you had tried to talk to them, it could be bad for you. At least try some time in the future. It could not hurt. Smiley Happy

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 52 of 108 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
281 posts

Aug 16, 2013
Do work preacher! About time I heard a good old religous view on the fourms May god bless you Smiley Happy
-Fierce "Artic"
Platinum Trophies: Saints Row: The Third, Assassins Creed II, Sleeping Dogs
What I'm working on: Metro Last Light
Message 53 of 108 (110 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Aug 16, 2013

Fierce_DeityX1 wrote:
Do work preacher! About time I heard a good old religous view on the fourms May god bless you Smiley Happy
-Fierce "Artic"

<3

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 54 of 108 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1602 posts

Aug 16, 2013

My parents would not accept it. Being from a third world country and all they will highly oppose.

If my one of my kids came out and told me they were, I wouldnt be able to accept it also. Would be dissapointed. Dont know for how long but i know I would.  never been a friend with a gay but Ive known a few, talked to them and have no problem with them because that is their lives, but i dont think i would be able to handle it well in my household.

Message 55 of 108 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Aug 16, 2013

My parents absolutely would.  Funny story, I have issues dealing with fearing rejection, so naturally when I was an older teenager, and I had never brought any ladies around, my parents wondered.  Finally they just asked "son, you know if you're gay, we wouldn't love you any less and we wouldn't care".  So I cleared up the confusion and indirectly found out that if I was gay, it wouldn't be an issue :-D.

As for me, of course I wouldn't give care, straight or gay, who my kid chose to love.  It helps that I have never been religious though, this homophobia thing seems to be a strictly religious thing.  I don't have that problem.

Message 56 of 108 (177 Views)
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Aug 16, 2013

rengle598 wrote:
Slightly off topic, but imagine a world where homosexuality reigns and being straight is frowned upon. Could this be society's potential far-off future?

That's way off base.  You don't get to choose who you are attracted to, it's inside of you, it's as natural as eating and breathing.  I didn't choose to be attracted to women, just like my uncle didn't choose to be attracted to men.  It was something both of us were born with.

Message 57 of 108 (175 Views)
Fender Bender
2971 posts

Aug 16, 2013

TheBigDumpMachin wrote:

My parents absolutely would.  Funny story, I have issues dealing with fearing rejection, so naturally when I was an older teenager, and I had never brought any ladies around, my parents wondered.  Finally they just asked "son, you know if you're gay, we wouldn't love you any less and we wouldn't care".  So I cleared up the confusion and indirectly found out that if I was gay, it wouldn't be an issue :-D.

As for me, of course I wouldn't give care, straight or gay, who my kid chose to love.  It helps that I have never been religious though, this homophobia thing seems to be a strictly religious thing.  I don't have that problem.

Brace the floodgates, a storm is comin'!

photo Steak_zps70cec71c.jpg
Message 58 of 108 (175 Views)
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Aug 16, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

For those who are unaware, I am a very religious person. I am fully convinced that Christianity is true and the Bible and the moral law in it are of God's will and nature. 

BUT, I can never think of a parent who would ditch their child for something like that. It is absolutely disgusting and Christ would never do that. Many consider homosexuality to be a sin (this is not really true...but I will get to that in a sec). Jesus himself hung around and preached to SINNERS. He forgives an adulterer. This guy was a radical of the time. Heck, he would be a radical now. This guy was killed by the morally "pure" people- the Pharisees. The Pharisees preached that they were thankful to God for not being a murderer or an adulterer. Well, Jesus was not a fan of that moral high ground attitude. He took their pride as a sin and every bit of theatrical hypocrisy as sin too. No one fits perfectly in the moral law. We are all forgiven, but we all are sinful and fall short of God. 

And these parents, who believe in the Bible and Jesus of Nazareth, are going to ditch their CHILDREN because of their sexual preference? Yeah...pathetic. 

I would like to clarify what the Bible says of homosexuality (by the by, there are TONS of LGBT-friendly churches. The media just likes to not acknowledge the fact). 

In Leviticus, it is stated that a man should not lie with a man as he does a woman. Or else he should be killed (the punishments in the Old Testament are there for a totally different reason, so I will stick to the moral). This means a man should not have sex with another man. The reason? God created man and woman to be together. God created the male/female relationship as how it was to be. That is the ideal that we are to strive for along with love, kindness, generosity, etc. All the ideals were corrupted and every one of us falls short at AT LEAST one ideal. 

In Romans, Paul says that homosexual offenders are sinning. And the same in 1 Corinthians. See the underlined word. It is talking about sex and not love or relationships. Just like Leviticus.

There is nothing in the Bible that condemns homosexuality. It, for lack of a better word, causes tempation to lead to sexual immorality (which is forgiven by Christ like any other sin). The preference is not a sin. Nor is acknowledging it. The sex is seen as wrong throughout the Bible. In the Christian view, it is not how it is supposed to be. Heck, nothing even condems the relationship! It just condems the sex. 

I truly just wanted to clarify because I have a lot of gay friends (I am in San Francisco for Heaven's sake) who are extremely virulent towards religion. In my super-liberal area, I am the one bullied for believing. I am thrown into the same category as the extremely right-wing scary Christians. Why? Because they are uninformed and angry at the other group. Psychologically, we like to make heuristics (biases/categories) to throw everyone into. These are almost always wrong in some regard. And that is why I had such a struggle my first few years in high school. I was taunted and belittled for the fact that I believed in God. It REALLY harmed my thoughts. It was part of my anxiety problems. It forced me to learn more (which helps now). I had to pick up book after book from both sides. It is part of the reason in my staying up late. I would take arguments and write them down. I would compare thought, rational, etc. It was rough, but my friends are a bit nicer and respectful

lol, kudos man.  As an aside, I'm technically an atheist and even I know all this.  Cafeteria Christians are really confused...and I think to a certain degree, just looking for excuses to be bigots.  Catholics and muslims seem to be more in the business of hating gay people for religious reasons.

Message 59 of 108 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 16, 2013

Solid---Steak wrote:

TheBigDumpMachin wrote:

Brace the floodgates, a storm is comin'!

I'd like to clarify, Not all religious people are bigotted against gay people. But I can tell you that nearly all people who have an issue with gay people are religious.  It's pretty close to being a fact.  Now, maybe they themselves are uncomfortable with homosexuality and just use religion as an excuse?  That is possible.  It's not for me to say, all I have is what I know, my family, and I know that while my Mom and Dad have no issues with gay people, and even have a close gay friend, my Aunt and Uncle would not and do not associate with that guy, because he makes them uncomfortable, because he is gay.  They go to catholic church every Sunday, they are very religious people, and I have heard them justify how they feel by saying it's a sin.

That's all.  I have little issue with religious people, just with some of the dogma of certain religions, for what it justifies and stands for.

Message 60 of 108 (169 Views)