Shinra Executive
42065 posts

Re: Would your parents accept you if you were gay?

Aug 16, 2013
Seeing as my brother is and my parents haven't really done or looked at him differently, I figure I'd be in the same boat if I was going down that road. I've known about my brother long before them and didn't think anything of it. So to the question about having a child and them being gay, wouldn't bother me and I'd support them if someone of the same sex makes them happy.

Message 41 of 108 (127 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4501 posts

Aug 16, 2013

I would accept if my kid(s) were, though I wish they won't since it can be a tough lifestyle. The bullying itself is just pathetic in school nowadays and on the web if you are, or even look it/act like it.

Thankfully I never had any problems with my lifestyle in high school or college. Then again my appearance or actions showed more of a straight guy to others so I never got bullied for it.

To people younger then me, it gets better if you are currently bullied. Going to a different school, moving to another city can make a big difference. It's just sometimes you can't do those things for a couple years or get the chance to.

YB

Message 42 of 108 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1102 posts

Aug 16, 2013

Not if you had a preacher for a step dad and a preachers wife for a mom when you decide to come out like I did.  Needless to say that didn't go too well.  "You and everyone around you are going to BURRRRRN for enabling you"  It was insane.  She's alot better now with him out of the picture.  Just took quite a few years for her to be more accepting.  

~~~~~~~~~ Show No Fear - Fortune Favors The Bold! ~~~~~~~~~
Message 43 of 108 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3165 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 16, 2013

Most definitely not, she doesn't even like my views on life. And if I had a child that was gay, I would be fine with it.

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Message 44 of 108 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2971 posts

Aug 16, 2013

A few of my friends are gay and that doesn't change my view of them. But to be completely honest, I don't know how I'd deal with my child being gay. It would be difficult.

photo Steak_zps70cec71c.jpg
Message 45 of 108 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Aug 16, 2013

For those who are unaware, I am a very religious person. I am fully convinced that Christianity is true and the Bible and the moral law in it are of God's will and nature. 

BUT, I can never think of a parent who would ditch their child for something like that. It is absolutely disgusting and Christ would never do that. Many consider homosexuality to be a sin (this is not really true...but I will get to that in a sec). Jesus himself hung around and preached to SINNERS. He forgives an adulterer. This guy was a radical of the time. Heck, he would be a radical now. This guy was killed by the morally "pure" people- the Pharisees. The Pharisees preached that they were thankful to God for not being a murderer or an adulterer. Well, Jesus was not a fan of that moral high ground attitude. He took their pride as a sin and every bit of theatrical hypocrisy as sin too. No one fits perfectly in the moral law. We are all forgiven, but we all are sinful and fall short of God. 

And these parents, who believe in the Bible and Jesus of Nazareth, are going to ditch their CHILDREN because of their sexual preference? Yeah...pathetic. 

I would like to clarify what the Bible says of homosexuality (by the by, there are TONS of LGBT-friendly churches. The media just likes to not acknowledge the fact). 

In Leviticus, it is stated that a man should not lie with a man as he does a woman. Or else he should be killed (the punishments in the Old Testament are there for a totally different reason, so I will stick to the moral). This means a man should not have sex with another man. The reason? God created man and woman to be together. God created the male/female relationship as how it was to be. That is the ideal that we are to strive for along with love, kindness, generosity, etc. All the ideals were corrupted and every one of us falls short at AT LEAST one ideal. 

In Romans, Paul says that homosexual offenders are sinning. And the same in 1 Corinthians. See the underlined word. It is talking about sex and not love or relationships. Just like Leviticus.

There is nothing in the Bible that condemns homosexuality. It, for lack of a better word, causes tempation to lead to sexual immorality (which is forgiven by Christ like any other sin). The preference is not a sin. Nor is acknowledging it. The sex is seen as wrong throughout the Bible. In the Christian view, it is not how it is supposed to be. Heck, nothing even condems the relationship! It just condems the sex. 

I truly just wanted to clarify because I have a lot of gay friends (I am in San Francisco for Heaven's sake) who are extremely virulent towards religion. In my super-liberal area, I am the one bullied for believing. I am thrown into the same category as the extremely right-wing scary Christians. Why? Because they are uninformed and angry at the other group. Psychologically, we like to make heuristics (biases/categories) to throw everyone into. These are almost always wrong in some regard. And that is why I had such a struggle my first few years in high school. I was taunted and belittled for the fact that I believed in God. It REALLY harmed my thoughts. It was part of my anxiety problems. It forced me to learn more (which helps now). I had to pick up book after book from both sides. It is part of the reason in my staying up late. I would take arguments and write them down. I would compare thought, rational, etc. It was rough, but my friends are a bit nicer and respectful

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 46 of 108 (155 Views)
First Son
17 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 16, 2013

I wouldn't want them to. I literally hate my parents. LITERALLY. wish they would die. They have not been good parents, and are some pretty messed up people cause of drugs but I won't go into that

I wouldn't care if my son was gay at all, not in the slightest, however, although I don't mind flamboyant friends, and such, my son being flamboyant or feminine might bother me if he was very outright and obnoxious about it, i mean not to say keep his sexuality hidden, but to say he shouldn't act a certain way. 

I'm not /entirely/ religious.

And my daughter, yeah, no judgment at all.

I never got why being gay is so looked down on.

If you wanna be just as miserable as the rest of us with the same sex, go for it.

At the end of the day we all die

Message 47 of 108 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 16, 2013

Keyblader17 wrote:

I wouldn't want them to. I literally hate my parents. LITERALLY. wish they would die. They have not been good parents, and are some pretty messed up people cause of drugs but I won't go into that

I wouldn't care if my son was gay at all, not in the slightest, however, although I don't mind flamboyant friends, and such, my son being flamboyant or feminine might bother me if he was very outright and obnoxious about it, i mean not to say keep his sexuality hidden, but to say he shouldn't act a certain way. 

I'm not /entirely/ religious.

And my daughter, yeah, no judgment at all.

I never got why being gay is so looked down on.

If you wanna be just as miserable as the rest of us with the same sex, go for it.

At the end of the day we all die.

You depress me. Forgiveness is something to seriously look at. Your parents may be less than ideal, but you should be the bigger person. Show them the love they did not show you. Do that and you win.

Message 48 of 108 (145 Views)
First Son
17 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 16, 2013

bob-maul wrote:
You depress me. Forgiveness is something to seriously look at. You parents may be less than ideal, but you should be the bigger person. Show them the love they did not show you. Do that and you win.

I agree with this philosophy 90% of the time. You can't sit there and tell me that by loving /everyone/ evil I win, I mean that's very righteous, but I am not a very forgiving person. lol

Message 49 of 108 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Aug 16, 2013

Keyblader17 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:
You depress me. Forgiveness is something to seriously look at. You parents may be less than ideal, but you should be the bigger person. Show them the love they did not show you. Do that and you win.

I agree with this philosophy 90% of the time. You can sit there and tell me that by loving everyone evil I win, I mean that's very righteous, but I am not a very forgiving person. lol

I agree with it 100% of the time regardless of if it is easy. I have a strong distaste for certain people, but I try and apply this concept. even if you forgive them after you got mad at them, it is fine. It is just forgiving people. Holding grudges is unnecessary stress and is not helping anything. Try to forgive them and see things from their perspective. Drugs are terribly destructive. You are not living in absolute poverty. You have a computer and an internet connection. They obviously did some things right. 

Message 50 of 108 (133 Views)
0 Likes