Nov 23 2012
By: GrayGargoyle Last Guardian 11777 posts

Would you be happy or sad if your least favorite actor in the world dropped dead?

11 replies 95 views Edited Nov 23, 2012

Like flies people are caught in lie's woven spider webs. Tangled up by its faults and unfortunate scenarios, tragedy strikes us around every corner. But every year there seems to be an even bigger shocker to the world at its fullness: the world of Hollywood. How many of you were in disbelief when Heath Ledger passed away before the release of The Dark Night? How many of you were saddened that Bernie Mac lost of his ability to entertain soon after?

Maybe you weren't grieving? In fact, maybe these were some of the worst actors of their time form your own personal point of view? What happens when a person you care the least about gets the shaft? Are you enjoying this moment or like some others do you grant your wishes that they rest peacefully for the remainder of their decaying eternity? Thoughts...?

Message 1 of 12 (95 Views)
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Re: Would you be happy or sad if your least favorite actor in the world dropped dead?

Nov 23, 2012

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Like flies people are caught in lie's woven spider webs. Tangled up by its faults and unfortunate scenarios, tragedy strikes us around every corner. But every year there seems to be an even bigger shocker to the world at its fullness: the world of Hollywood. How many of you were in disbelief when Heath Ledger passed away before the release of The Dark Night? How many of you were saddened that Bernie Mac lost of his ability to entertain soon after?

Maybe you weren't grieving? In fact, maybe these were some of the worst actors of their time form your own personal point of view? What happens when a person you care the least about gets the shaft? Are you enjoying this moment or like some others do you grant your wishes that they rest peacefully for the remainder of their decaying eternity? Thoughts...?

When someone dies, they die, but when its someone you love or care about its a whole new thing. If that person happens to be famous well I would feel bad but I wouldn't run around crying all day. Bernie Mac and Heath Ledger were great actors and when they passed I gave them my respects like any other person. 

My Youtube Channel:

Rookie2Vet

Free Sitrongr

Message 2 of 12 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Re: Would you be happy or sad if your least favorite actor in the world dropped dead?

Nov 23, 2012

I would have to say, I take no pleasure in most people's demise.  That being said, since you bring up Heath Ledger, I often wonder if the Dark Knight would have been as successful as it was, should Ledger have not died.

I still think the Dark Knight is the best Batman movie ever.  Is it because Heath Ledger died, or is it because Heath Ledger gave his best performance of his mediocre carrier?  Granted, I did not see Broke Back Mountain, and I just didn't get The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnasus.  Dr. Parnasus is another movie that did not get released until after Ledger's death, and it didn't even do well.  

Ledger's previous acting in such "gems" as; Ten Things I hate About You, A Knight's Tale, Monster's Ball, and a slew of other weak movies, was less than adequate and failed to be even good.  Still, would his performance in The Dark Knight have risen his status as an actor, and landed him more critical roles?  If so, then perhaps he would have stepped out of his characterization of 'bad actor".  Peter Nolan has made a career of taking bad, old, and used up actors, and placing them in roles where they reached a note worthy acclaim.

Ledger, may have gone on to star in more Nolan films, growing his acting abilities, and perhaps leaving room for a recurrence of the Joker.  This is all hypothetical of course.

I give you a critically acclaimed actor who has held Oscar Nominated roles, only to star in movies like, Snakes on a Plane, and Unbreakable (HORRIBLE IMHO), Samuel L. Jackson.   Not every actor will give the best performance, or star in the best movies all of the time.  When they do give that "one" great performance though, it can be convoluted by instances of death.

Brandon Lee, was a poor actor, and know mostly for being Bruce Lee's son.  Prior to The Crow, barely anyone had heard of Brandon Lee.  Odds are, had Lee not died, The Crow might have gone straight to video.  The Crow is actually a bad movie, but Lee's performance, and his untimely death carried the movie to box office success.

The Dark Knight would have done well, had Ledger not died, but it might not have reached the audiences it did.  I still think The Dark Night is the best Batman movie, and I still believe Ledger's performance would have held the acclaim it did.  Saddened or not by his death, when Ledger died after completing his Joker performance, it left a hole.  What if Heath Ledger had continued to make movies?  Would Ledger now be a critically acclaimed star, mentioned in Oscar Nominations on a regular basis?  No one will know.

As far as the OP question, I do think it is appropriate when more importance is given to anyone in the public eye, after they pass.  In the short answer, I could care less, but I do not celebrate someone's death.

Moble

Message 3 of 12 (82 Views)
Last Guardian
10074 posts

Nov 23, 2012

moblesuit75 wrote:

I could care less, but I do not celebrate someone's death.

This. 

id 69 signature

"How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."

Message 4 of 12 (80 Views)
Big Daddy
19211 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 23, 2012

Well if my least favorite actor in the world dropped dead suddenly, I guess that I would be more or less indifferent.  Smiley Indifferent

But I would take note of their death, so that the next time I saw that actor in one of their past movie roles, I would pay more particular attention to their performance.   Just to look for attributes or redeeming qualities in their acting abilities that I might have overlooked previously.

And I guess that would be my way of paying respect to them, posthumously.

Message 5 of 12 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Nov 24, 2012

I don't feel sad for the person, but sad that a life has been lost. (Hope that makes sense).

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 6 of 12 (59 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41884 posts

Nov 24, 2012

I'm with ID & moble on this topic, I would of course "mourn" the loss of a favorute actor/actress etc, I would be sad too about some, but it would not effect me in any particualr way, there are some actors/actresss, especially from the UK that I have grown up with & so known for some 30 plus years, so if some of those were to pass I would be more sad about their passing.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 7 of 12 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Nov 24, 2012

I for one, am not looking forward to a World without Sean Connery.  Although he has not been in many films of late, I have enjoyed every movie he has been in.  

Well, not entrrapment, that was bad.  Of course, Catherine Zeta Jones' posterior looked pretty good in it. LOL Smiley Wink

Moble

Message 8 of 12 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11298 posts

Nov 24, 2012

If the actor/actress committed suicide i'd be intrigued.

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Heath Ledger passed away

I didn't care that much but...

GrayGargoyle wrote:

before the release of The Dark Night

... that surprised me a litte.

Message 9 of 12 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11777 posts

Nov 24, 2012

10 Things I Hate About You is the first Heath Ledger movie I've seen with the actor, which I actually really liked. His performance and everyone else's made the movie work very well from all angles. Since then I've seen the actor in a number of films, ranging from The Patriot (good), A Knight's Tale (bad), and of course Broke Back Mountain (not for me). While not all of his films are enjoyable, I do happen to think the actor's finest moment was in The Dark Knight. Though I wouldn't dare call it the best Batman film ever made, he did create this unique villain that captures the audience member's attention again and again throughout the movie.

As for weak actors though, I generally think of those actors who are consistently featured in bad films and drive the idea of the film off the deep end. Actors like Rob Riggle do not fare well with screen time. His performances are often cited as the most obnoxious idiot on screen, and those kind of areas of the movie ultimately make me care less about it in general. But, would I be affected by this person's passing? Probably not, as I don't know the man. I couldn't say it would be upsetting that he's gone, but I'm not cruel enough to state that I would throw a party in their removal from the face of the Earth either. Sure it would help to make room for potential greater actors in those roles, which would be good, but rather than death I mainly wish them retirement, or something along those lines.

Message 10 of 12 (47 Views)
0 Likes