Uncharted Territory
1235 posts

Re: Worst Systems

Jan 10, 2014
Gamecube I guess. I can't say i've enjoyed most of the Nintendo consoles i've owned, the game libraries really don't appeal to me. Neither do the controllers.
Message 31 of 40 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1817 posts

Jan 10, 2014

TrickedOutHoro wrote:
Gamecube I guess. I can't say i've enjoyed most of the Nintendo consoles i've owned, the game libraries really don't appeal to me. Neither do the controllers.

I liked SNES back in the day, mainly for the Final Fantasy and Castlevania games, but otherwise I agree.  And yeah, the controllers suck.

Message 32 of 40 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1472 posts

Jan 10, 2014
Sega CD was the biggest let down. Work all summer at 13 to buy one and could not get over the choppy FMV and lack of good games. I will say it was way ahead of it's time and I really like some of the features to be implemented in future consoles.

For example, instead of a CD attachment It would be cool to see expansions that could take the place of other home items. An attachable NAS, upgraded HDD, TV and home theater options, or even a wireless router attachment are some cool ideas that would be nice to see. It would be nice to consolidate a few things in a neat package to avoid clutter and mismatched electronics. I know it's against the grain to talk about yearly release options/upgrades online, but let's face it it tends to work if they are not mandatory and they are somewhat affordable. I wouldn't mind seeing a 5 year release for a console and a yearly release of optional expansions. Graphics, storage, etc. As long as it's not mandatory and doesn't give players advantages in online multiplayer for upgrading it could be similar to upgrading a HTPC.

Idk, the possibilities are probably why it was a let down. That and very few games.
Message 33 of 40 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1817 posts

Jan 10, 2014

Na13-31 wrote:
Sega CD was the biggest let down. Work all summer at 13 to buy one and could not get over the choppy FMV and lack of good games. I will say it was way ahead of it's time and I really like some of the features to be implemented in future consoles.

Oh man, don't remind me of Night Trap and Mansion of the Hidden Souls. Smiley Sad

But the possibilities of  CD based tech were a big part of my decision not to go the N64 route in the following generation, so yeah, I guess you could say it changed my gaming habits.

Message 34 of 40 (114 Views)
MVP Support
12941 posts

Jan 10, 2014

bob-maul wrote:

Most of the devices listed are perfectly good devices.

What really sucked...Tiger handhelds. They were huge before I was born, but they stuck around for a long while. I had the GameBoy Color and some kid would ask how I played games besides Mario on it. It is because Tiger handhelds only ever plaqyed one game (and they typically SUCKED). If you really need a good assessment of them, go find the Angry Video Game Nerd episode on it.

tiger handheld.jpg

tiger handheld2.jpg

I think I remember those. Wasn't Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles one of those too?

smdedspace2.png

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 35 of 40 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Jan 10, 2014

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Out of all the systems I've had a fair deal of use from over the years, my least favorite ones would have to be the following:

Nintendo 64 - Didn't like the controller nor the majority of the games available. Moving on from the memorable Donkey Kong Country series to the mediocrity of titles like GoldenEye 007, I was one of the few people pleased with what Rare had on offer in this time.

Game Boy Advance - As others have noted, the Game Boy Advance didn't do Nintendo justice either. The handheld launched once again without a backlight. Having suffered with this during the Game Boy era, at least the device had some terrific games to try and adjust to the glare of a lamp hanging overhead. But if you're still doing this ten years later while trying to enjoy the latest from Mario Kart and F-Zero, it's just not something to commend.

The N64 had a meh controller. It was uncomfortable until you got used to its wonkey design. I do not see how you could think the DK Country games compare to Goldeneye. They are too different. And Goldeneye was AMAZING for the time period. If you simply preferred side-scrollers, I would understand your love for the SNES over the N64. But if we are just talking about quality. which your criticism of Goldeneye points to, I think the N64 had a crazy amount of titles. If you like 3D platformers, this system was a godsend. 

This is not a comparison with the SNES library (which was amazing). I am just trying to figure out how this console could make your "worst console" list.

-Mario 64

-Goldeneye

-Pokemon Stadium 1- first time you could battle with the 3D models and the mini games are just pure ecstasy

-Pokemon Stadium 2- EVEN BETTER mini games

-Donkey Kong 64- I definitely prefer this over the Country games. I could play and beat a modern DK game built like DK64. I cannot get into the new Country games, however

-Banjo Kazooie- If you never played this game and you enjoy platformers, do it now

-Banjo Tooie- More of the same great gameplay from its predecessor.

-Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

-Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask

-Super Smash Bros- Need I say more regarding that?

-Mario Kart 64- One of the best in the series.

-Conker's Bad Fur Day- Rare sure was fantastic back then

-Diddy Kong Racing- Rare was definitely amazing back then.

-Bomberman 64- I have never been a big fan of the guy, but Bomberman 64 has enjoyable co op and multiplayer

-Pokemon Snap- People either love this game or find it incredibly dull. I would say the former is more in line with my opinion.

-Mario Tennis- I hate sports games. But this one caught my interest. And, again, the multiplayer...

-Kirby 64- Thought I would through some fun side-scrollers in here. The mixing of powers made this great.

-Yoshi's Story- This got mixed reviews along with Kirby, but I thought it was quite good regardless of its length.

-Mario Party- GREAT game. This was the center of many birthdays. 

-Mario Party 2- This one had even better mini games in my opinion and is widely held to be the best in the series

-Mario Party 3- More greatness.

-Perfect Dark- Another shooter by by Rare. I wish Nintendo still had them...

-Paper Mario- The turn-based gameplay and charming characters made this an instant classic. The sequl on GC was even better.

-Star Fox 64- While short, this game was fun with friends and had numerous pathways to the final boss. 

I just listed some of the fan favorites on here. I have played every single one of them and I think these games should keep anyone from putting it on the worst console list. Maybe not better than the SNES, but I would never put it low on the list.

The GameBoy Adv, needed a backlight. Good thing the GameBoy Advance SP was oustanding and introduced the backlight.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 36 of 40 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Jan 10, 2014

TrickedOutHoro wrote:

I agree on the controllers...except for the Gamecube. That thing's controller is extremely comfortable to use. There is a reason people were upset about not being able to plug them into their Wii Us. 

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 37 of 40 (102 Views)
First Son
17 posts

Jan 10, 2014

Nintendo DS( I enjoyed it for a while but eventually got horribly boring)

Message 38 of 40 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11727 posts

Jan 11, 2014

bob-maul wrote:

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Out of all the systems I've had a fair deal of use from over the years, my least favorite ones would have to be the following:

Nintendo 64 - Didn't like the controller nor the majority of the games available. Moving on from the memorable Donkey Kong Country series to the mediocrity of titles like GoldenEye 007, I was one of the few people pleased with what Rare had on offer in this time.

Game Boy Advance - As others have noted, the Game Boy Advance didn't do Nintendo justice either. The handheld launched once again without a backlight. Having suffered with this during the Game Boy era, at least the device had some terrific games to try and adjust to the glare of a lamp hanging overhead. But if you're still doing this ten years later while trying to enjoy the latest from Mario Kart and F-Zero, it's just not something to commend.

The N64 had a meh controller. It was uncomfortable until you got used to its wonkey design. I do not see how you could think the DK Country games compare to Goldeneye. They are too different. And Goldeneye was AMAZING for the time period. If you simply preferred side-scrollers, I would understand your love for the SNES over the N64. But if we are just talking about quality. which your criticism of Goldeneye points to, I think the N64 had a crazy amount of titles. If you like 3D platformers, this system was a godsend. 

This is not a comparison with the SNES library (which was amazing). I am just trying to figure out how this console could make your "worst console" list.

-Mario 64

-Goldeneye

-Pokemon Stadium 1- first time you could battle with the 3D models and the mini games are just pure ecstasy

-Pokemon Stadium 2- EVEN BETTER mini games

-Donkey Kong 64- I definitely prefer this over the Country games. I could play and beat a modern DK game built like DK64. I cannot get into the new Country games, however

-Banjo Kazooie- If you never played this game and you enjoy platformers, do it now

-Banjo Tooie- More of the same great gameplay from its predecessor.

-Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

-Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask

-Super Smash Bros- Need I say more regarding that?

-Mario Kart 64- One of the best in the series.

-Conker's Bad Fur Day- Rare sure was fantastic back then

-Diddy Kong Racing- Rare was definitely amazing back then.

-Bomberman 64- I have never been a big fan of the guy, but Bomberman 64 has enjoyable co op and multiplayer

-Pokemon Snap- People either love this game or find it incredibly dull. I would say the former is more in line with my opinion.

-Mario Tennis- I hate sports games. But this one caught my interest. And, again, the multiplayer...

-Kirby 64- Thought I would through some fun side-scrollers in here. The mixing of powers made this great.

-Yoshi's Story- This got mixed reviews along with Kirby, but I thought it was quite good regardless of its length.

-Mario Party- GREAT game. This was the center of many birthdays. 

-Mario Party 2- This one had even better mini games in my opinion and is widely held to be the best in the series

-Mario Party 3- More greatness.

-Perfect Dark- Another shooter by by Rare. I wish Nintendo still had them...

-Paper Mario- The turn-based gameplay and charming characters made this an instant classic. The sequl on GC was even better.

-Star Fox 64- While short, this game was fun with friends and had numerous pathways to the final boss. 

I just listed some of the fan favorites on here. I have played every single one of them and I think these games should keep anyone from putting it on the worst console list. Maybe not better than the SNES, but I would never put it low on the list.

The GameBoy Adv, needed a backlight. Good thing the GameBoy Advance SP was oustanding and introduced the backlight.

I really did not like the Nintendo 64 controller all that much. It was very large with too many buttons. The C buttons, there were four of them grouped together with the A and B button. The Z button was tucked under the middle of the controller, which had three different prongs so you could hold onto it from multiple angles. This was a very uncomfortable design. But, this also made playing games hard to do, even the best ones.

I've never found GoldenEye to be a gaming masterpiece. Many times I've had this same argument with people who defend the game to their last breath. While I don't think GoldenEye is a bad game, it's nothing that impressed me greatly. The game is average, in my opinion. This I'm taking from my memory bank, as I haven't played GoldenEye since the time it originally came out. It was kind of cool and all being able to set explosive mines to walls and whatnot. You could use your gun and sneak around. There was the endless multiplayer bouts. But, while others I've played the game with seemed really drawn to the experience, I never felt a strong connection with the game in any sort of way. I've played much better first-person shooters throughout the '90s, from Doom II to Wolfenstein 3-D. Now those are games I'd happily credit for their tremendous contribution to excellence in the genre.

As for the other games on the Nintendo 64, the ones that I can say that are actually done well (off the top of my head) would include the following:

Mario Kart 64

Super Mario 64

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Paper Mario

Star Fox 64

Mortal Kombat 4

There weren't many games I've played on the Nintendo 64 that impressed me. I've never liked Pokemon. Pilotwings 64 was a major snorefest. Blast Corps was a letdown. Donkey Kong 64 and the Diddy Kong racing games did nothing that I hadn't already seen in Super Mario 64 or Mario Kart. And again, the Banjo series acted as a Mario clone. If I feel like I've played the game already then what's the point in being excited about something like that?

Not to mention... while I do think The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is an upstanding game and all, I have not found this to be the perfect example of gaming that most critics pointed to at the time. I'm astonished to this day that the media felt this game actually deserved 10s around the block. Majora's Mask, while a little more interesting story-wise, I had trouble dealing with the gameplay. The whole end of the world scenario and the time limit in which you need to get through it all threw me off. I've never actually gotten around to completing either of these games, though I have completed a rather large chunk of Ocarina of Time... and had that part about who's behind the mask spoiled (by EGM, I think).

Message 39 of 40 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1581 posts

Jan 11, 2014

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
Eff it
Ill say MY 360 cause when I got it it was console banned meaning I couldn't play online with it

Thats not really a fault of microsoft.  The person who sold it to you was at fault.

doc shady signature
Message 40 of 40 (69 Views)
0 Likes