Nov 3, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

hwhunt13 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

hwhunt13 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Or you get a government job... lol, no

Or you get a degree and go in higher up at a corporation...  fail on my part

Or you start a small business that does not compete with WalMart    CHECK!

Voila.

Finding a job is difficult in this economy where the employers are looking really more for skilled workers rather than those who struggle to keep a job and looking to settle down to a long term plan.

Starting a business is the most difficult in the first year because you are trying to find good prices to sell your products or services at a price where you can stay busy and have a steady income without ever worrying about your boss firing you when you are your own boss.

Hey now! Just because you don't agree with the bureaucracy does not mean it isn't a viable career Smiley Tongue

You never know if its viable or not if you don't start one of your own.

There's always a chance that a business you can start would end up being a hugely successful one at that.

True true. I think a government job is more of a safe endeavor, though. Your own business is a huge risk with possibles rewards that definitely beat any job you can get in the public or private sectors. But the question is: Is it worth it? Maybe. Depends on the small business and depends on your ability. Sadly, many people underestimate or overestimate their ability and their businesses do not last.

I'm still only in my first year with my personal business, so I am still trying to work things out so I can get people in. The business that I started was detailing (hand wash/hand wax) cars where I do the job at their house. I have no one working with me in my business.

Really the only downside of my business that it's prretty much seasonal along with the not-so-pleasent weather sometimes.

I have no property costs to worry about and the customers have to schedule a day/time for me to do their cars.

photo 683842d5-5deb-4335-8bcb-5b2166398090_zpsafb7b8da.jpg
Message 21 of 48 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
36722 posts

Re: Working anywhere sucks now.

Nov 4, 2013

KIoey wrote:

[insert something about corporate pigs].

Trade your humanity for a paycheck or trade your paycheck for a **bleep** life.

WTB more small business.

KIoey wrote:

WTB more small business.

Well, that is the formula for working.  You trade hours of your life for money.  Whether you work for yourself or you toil away for The Man.

Running a small business is a lot of work and you don't get paid holidays.  So it's not always better.  It may seem like it is, but try it for a year and you'll see.

But you DEFINITELY don't want to start your own business if you're not worth the money they're already paying you.  If you're one of those "phone it in" people, you will not survive running your own business.  You need to be highly self-motivated.  It's not for everyone.  I've talked many people out of starting their own businesses because they had no drive.  If this sounds like you, keep your day job.  Running your own place will chew you up.

Message 22 of 48 (68 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Nov 4, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

Or you get a government job...

LOL

Or you get a degree and go in higher up at a corporation...

Meh, not a guarantee anymore

Or you start a small business that does not compete with WalMart

Failure rate is extremely high regardless of Walmart

Voila.

The key to sucess, is doing what you like, and living within your means. Something "sucking" is a matter of perspective.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 23 of 48 (65 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14623 posts

Nov 4, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

LOL

Voila.

The key to sucess, is doing what you like, and living within your means. Something "sucking" is a matter of perspective.

Failure rate of small business means very little. That is like a failure rate on a test. It just tells you that a lot failed. Not that the lot studied. Or, in this example, thought of and ran a good business. 

A government job is where it's at. Pension, job security, benefits, etc. 

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 24 of 48 (59 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
31041 posts

Nov 4, 2013

KIoey wrote:

WTB more small business.

Well that's Capitalism and Capitalism is life in America. It's better than the alternatives. 

Anyone who loves what they do for a living is either lucky or stupid. Sometimes both. 

Message 25 of 48 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Nov 4, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

LOL

Voila.

Failure rate of small business means very little. That is like a failure rate on a test. It just tells you that a lot failed. Not that the lot studied. Or, in this example, thought of and ran a good business. 

My thoughts jumped to politician when you said government job, so I decided to troll it, but yes, you're right.

Small businesses failing though is a little bit more of an indication of risk similar to how many people failed a test. I think it applies. Restaurants in particular are notorious for having a high failure rate.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 26 of 48 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14623 posts

Nov 4, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

LOL

Voila.

My thoughts jumped to politician when you said government job, so I decided to troll it, but yes, you're right.

Small businesses failing though is a little bit more of an indication of risk similar to how many people failed a test. I think it applies. Restaurants in particular are notorious for having a high failure rate.

Restaurants only survive if they fill a demand. A new pizza place is less likely to live than a city's first Chinese food restaurant.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 27 of 48 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Nov 4, 2013

True, and I think these days, a successful website is sort of the way to go

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 28 of 48 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4354 posts

Nov 4, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

LOL

Voila.

Restaurants only survive if they fill a demand. A new pizza place is less likely to live than a city's first Chinese food restaurant.

I beg to differ. Pizza > Chinese Food. That was a horrible example, now carry on with your debate.

Message 29 of 48 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Nov 4, 2013

rengle598 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

LOL

Voila.

I beg to differ. Pizza > Chinese Food. That was a horrible example, now carry on with your debate.

No it was a good one. You like pizza more, thats fine. But thats an opinion. If a city is dominated by pizza places, and suddenly a decent Chinese restaurant comes in, it is almost guaranteed to survive... especially if it's americanized, which is what most of it is.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 30 of 48 (39 Views)
0 Likes