Jan 10 2013
By: Toe_Tag_ Uncharted Territory 1759 posts

Will US goverment and gaming industry.

11 replies 177 views Edited Jan 10, 2013

I'm hoping this won't happem but I think the govermemt is going

to pressure gaming industries to ban shooter games.

What does everyone think?

If they do will you still support/buy games.

Message 1 of 12 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Re: Will US goverment and gaming industry.

Jan 10, 2013

Toe_Tag_ wrote:

I don't play shooter games, but video games, if they want to be successful, need to be violent.

The government if they want to, can ban anything because they're the one running this country. I will still buy games

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 2 of 12 (154 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
31006 posts

Jan 10, 2013
So when are we banning violent movies again?
Message 3 of 12 (153 Views)
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Jan 10, 2013

eagles1990 wrote:

You can't do that. That's how Hollywood makes its money. All the people who are against guns smile for the cameras.

Video games on the other hand are faceless, with no celebrities to promote them

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 4 of 12 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42149 posts

Jan 10, 2013

eagles1990 wrote:

^^^

They go after games, they have to go after movies too.  Can't be one or the other.  And I doubt we'd see an outright ban.  Regulation would be the first step.  Both industries are big in this country and banning them in the US would be a huge blow.  And 'banning' an entire genre or entire action from the industry isn't the proper move.

But really, I don't see why.  Parents should know what their kids are playing/watching and the state of their child to know if any of it's going to be a problem.  Blaming games/movies just seems like an easy cop out for the parents and politicians/NRA.

Message 5 of 12 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Jan 10, 2013

Toe_Tag_ wrote:

I say good luck to them.  Changing any aspect of the First Amendment, is never really successful.

If you open it up to specific interpretation, it starts a cascade of other restrictions.  This is why it is not usually successful.

Look at Tipper Gore's assault on Heavy Metal and Rap.  The most that came of that were ESRB warnings.  Those already exist on games, so I can't see much more being done.

I don't necessarily buy shooters as a first choice.  This being said; if shooters are deemed too violent, how long before they go to the next step down to fighting games, and action / adventure games like Batman?

Much like the argument for banning particular types of guns, the official decisions fall short of outright banning, because precedence is dangerous for all rights.  People will use precedence to argue for further banning of more things.  The next thing you know, thirty years down the line, you realize you have no more rights, and you can't figure out why.

This is how certain people in Government, and certain Government Agencies operate.  They do not take everything from you at once.  They **bleep** away at the edges, so as not to arose too much protest, then after a period of time, they have accomplished their goals of control.

People forget, and the Government lets them forget, THEY WORK FOR US!  Do not sit idly by, when legislation or Political Discussion on Policy goes the direction you do not like.  Write to your Congressman, or Senator and let them know how you feel!  Do not be intimidated by Government, they answer to US, and they like to forget that. Mostly because we let them.

Moble

Message 6 of 12 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
1473 posts

Jan 10, 2013
Most of the games I buy are shooter games, I love them and would be extremely disappointed if they were no longer made.
I for one don't believe these games cause people to be violent.
I've played them for years and I am not a violent person.
Also, they would have to remove several television shows, if they want to remove visuals with guns.
In answer to your question, I would probably still buy games, but there would prabably not be much out there to interest me.

If we took just five minutes, to recognize each others beauty, instead of attacking each other for our differences .............
Ellen Page
Message 7 of 12 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1759 posts

Jan 10, 2013

What do you think about some sort of fine on parents who let there under age kids play games that have age specific restrictions?

Thats the only thing I can think of and sony should have a way to report it.

I don't know how many times I get on a game thats rated M.I belive thats 16 years and older and some little 10 year old is playing.

Message 8 of 12 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

Jan 11, 2013

The thing about that is, the rating board is only a suggestion and not a law. Every attempt to make it law has been shot down by the courts and deemed unconstitutional. 

Message 9 of 12 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42149 posts

Jan 11, 2013

Toe_Tag_ wrote:

What do you think about some sort of fine on parents who let there under age kids play games that have age specific restrictions?

Thats the only thing I can think of and sony should have a way to report it.

I don't know how many times I get on a game thats rated M.I belive thats 16 years and older and some little 10 year old is playing.

Not fair to those that have some sense.  My parents let me play and bought me M rated games when I was clearly under the age limit (remember going to the store to get a game and having to have my Brother or Mom be there to confirm the sale Smiley Very Happy ) cause I clearly wasn't going to go out and cause trouble due to playing them and who could say it was the games and not watching Predator, the Terminator, TMNT or even Power Rangers and just wanting to kick someone in the face?

The few ruining it for the many isn't the best route.  The ESRB ratings are there as a guideline/heads up.  That's all.  They let parents know the content of the games and if they read that description and OK the playing of it, then that's on them, same with movie ratings.  I still take issue however with them drawing the line to video games or movies instead of just the mental state of the person and the help they've received in dealing with the condition (or lack thereof).

Message 10 of 12 (85 Views)
0 Likes