Jan 14 2013
By: JonathanCarabalo Lombax Warrior 220 posts

Wii now $109.00 retail, going the Dreamcast route

[ Edited ]
22 replies 183 views Edited Jan 14, 2013

Things don't look good for Nintendo in the console market.  The Wii is hardly selling, even at $109.00, and Wii U is being outsold over 2:1 since late December.  Considering that it just launched - not a good sign.  I've seen this phenomenon before - it happened with Dreamcast.  Their market was foreclosed on by a better business model - the Playstation 2's.  Nothing sold after that happened.  This same thing is now happening with Nintendo.  The Wii's market is being foreclosed on by a better business model - the PS4's. 

Perhaps Nintendo should get out of the console business for good?  The logical choice is to become a Sony 1st or 2nd party developer - but I doubt they'll do that.  Sega should've just been acquired outright by Sony - as its market was taken over.  The same happened with Rare Ltd.  - their market was taken over by the Playstation 2's.  Nothing they made sold after that on Xbox 360, or was even close to their great games on N64.  This is almost like a marketplace war, heh. 

Message 1 of 23 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5226 posts

Re: Wii now $109.00 retail, going the Dreamcast route

[ Edited ]
Jan 14, 2013

Wii has sold ~100 million consoles. The Nintendo DS(i) has sold over 100 million as well. I would say they're not going anywhere. Give the Wii U some time.

Join the fun!
Message 2 of 23 (162 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 14, 2013
IMO all your assessments are way off.

I do agree that the Wii isn't selling as well as it once did, but it has sold more than either the PS3 or X360 (25% more) plus all their consoles were sold at a profit. So financially Nintendo has done better this generation, so even if the WiiU stumbles, Nintendo can clearly afford it.

Nintendo's greatest strengths is their franchise games (Mario, Zelda, etc.), they can survive pretty much on that alone.

I don't see the connection you are making between Rare & the PS2. Nintendo sold Rare to Microsoft, IMO Rare has gone downhill because the founders left the company and Microsoft changed their management structure...
Message 3 of 23 (160 Views)
VP of Gaming
30942 posts

Jan 14, 2013
You can't be serious. Wii was selling at a profit from day 1. Nintendo isn't going anywhere.
Message 4 of 23 (154 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jan 14, 2013

lol I really have to wonder if people post these comments as jokes. I'll tell you what Nintendo needs to do to turn everything around: make a new IP. One new character is all they'd need to force people to crawl to stores on their hands and knees begging for a console. I'll give you that the Wii U launch looks a bit shakey, but compare it to say... PS3 launch! Great console now you say, back then Sony was eating 250-300$ losses every console they sold, launch titles were meh at best. Wii U doesn't have any stand out launch titles, Mario is overdone, Zombies are played out, AC3 and Darksiders 2 are late ports, Nintendoland is fun but it's not packed in with the 4 gig units, which is probably going to hurt them in the long run. People latched on to Wii sports and it ended up selling units to demographics no one ever dreamed were viable. 

As far as Rare goes, the problem isn't "Oh no one likes Rare anymore" the problem is Microsoft micromanaged them to death, wasted their talents on crappy Kinect games, and made all the talent quit. And guess what, Nintendo made Retro Studio. It's like Rare died and got reincarnated.

Message 5 of 23 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Jan 14, 2013

I say good riddance. 

I bought a wii year after its release. 

Biggest waste of dough ive ever invested. 

Just like many, it was a dust collecter. After realizing it served no purpose and also had no potential, it was off to gamestop as pretty much a new consOle. Hated it. Only played it for the RE remake. And thats all the fun i got from it. 

Biggest flop of a console ive seen. 

Nvr paid any attn to it.  And hated the software lineup. 

nvr been a nintendo guy either. Why i get it..? Well i had the mOney. And was curios if the system had anything to offer. found that answer rather quiCk. honestly, anything nintendo.. Is not for me, nvr has been. 

- Restless Dreams.
Message 6 of 23 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 14, 2013

"IMO all your assessments are way off.  I do agree that the Wii isn't selling as well as it once did, but it has sold more than either the PS3 or X360 (25% more) plus all their consoles were sold at a profit. So financially Nintendo has done better this generation, so even if the WiiU stumbles, Nintendo can clearly afford it.  Nintendo's greatest strengths is their franchise games (Mario, Zelda, etc.), they can survive pretty much on that alone.  I don't see the connection you are making between Rare & the PS2. Nintendo sold Rare to Microsoft, IMO Rare has gone downhill because the founders left the company and Microsoft changed their management structure..."

Profit is a little important - but in itself doesn't mean much if your market is completely taken over by someone else.  I said that Wii is, from here on out, going the Dreamcast route.  Which at $109.00, and with only 5 million sales in 2012, seems to be teh case.  They'll like sell just 2 million in 2013 - at this rate.  If not less.   

For their franchises - Super Mario Bros. Galaxy, the New Super Mario Bros. U, Mario Kari Wii, and Super Smash Bros. have sold a lot for Wii, so they still have that.  But notice none are in the next-gen department.  That market was taken by by Sony in 2001 - this is in the casual gamer market, which is being taken by Sony now in 2012/2013. 

As for Rare and PS2 - Rare's market was taken by Playstation 2 in 2000.  Since then - none of Rare's games have sold that much, or have approached the high quality they achieved before 2000.  The Stamper brothers left Rare at the start of 2007 - but nothing they made has sold since 2000 - the last title that was any good was Perfect Dark for N64.  This is because the high-end, next-gen game marketplace was taken by Sony starting in 2000.  Rare's sales have gone downhill, but not Rare.  Their market was simply taken by Sony.  They've got to join Sony.  Become a 2nd party developer for Sony. 

Message 7 of 23 (123 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34135 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 14, 2013

NINTENDOMINATION!

LOL

game releases in Japan for the next 3 months if anyone couldnt tell.

Message 8 of 23 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5226 posts

Jan 14, 2013

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

"IMO all your assessments are way off.  I do agree that the Wii isn't selling as well as it once did, but it has sold more than either the PS3 or X360 (25% more) plus all their consoles were sold at a profit. So financially Nintendo has done better this generation, so even if the WiiU stumbles, Nintendo can clearly afford it.  Nintendo's greatest strengths is their franchise games (Mario, Zelda, etc.), they can survive pretty much on that alone.  I don't see the connection you are making between Rare & the PS2. Nintendo sold Rare to Microsoft, IMO Rare has gone downhill because the founders left the company and Microsoft changed their management structure..."

Profit is a little important - but in itself doesn't mean much if your market is completely taken over by someone else.  I said that Wii is, from here on out, going the Dreamcast route.  Which at $109.00, and with only 5 million sales in 2012, seems to be teh case.  They'll like sell just 2 million in 2013 - at this rate.  If not less.   

For their franchises - Super Mario Bros. Galaxy, the New Super Mario Bros. U, Mario Kari Wii, and Super Smash Bros. have sold a lot for Wii, so they still have that.  But notice none are in the next-gen department.  That market was taken by by Sony in 2001 - this is in the casual gamer market, which is being taken by Sony now in 2012/2013. 

As for Rare and PS2 - Rare's market was taken by Playstation 2 in 2000.  Since then - none of Rare's games have sold that much, or have approached the high quality they achieved before 2000.  The Stamper brothers left Rare at the start of 2007 - but nothing they made has sold since 2000 - the last title that was any good was Perfect Dark for N64.  This is because the high-end, next-gen game marketplace was taken by Sony starting in 2000.  Rare's sales have gone downhill, but not Rare.  Their market was simply taken by Sony.  They've got to join Sony.  Become a 2nd party developer for Sony. 

You are either a troll or an idiot. I'll go with the second one.

Join the fun!
Message 9 of 23 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Jan 14, 2013

Yawaru: "lol I really have to wonder if people post these comments as jokes. I'll tell you what Nintendo needs to do to turn everything around: make a new IP. One new character is all they'd need to force people to crawl to stores on their hands and knees begging for a console. I'll give you that the Wii U launch looks a bit shakey, but compare it to say... PS3 launch! Great console now you say, back then Sony was eating 250-300$ losses every console they sold, launch titles were meh at best. Wii U doesn't have any stand out launch titles, Mario is overdone, Zombies are played out, AC3 and Darksiders 2 are late ports, Nintendoland is fun but it's not packed in with the 4 gig units, which is probably going to hurt them in the long run. People latched on to Wii sports and it ended up selling units to demographics no one ever dreamed were viable.  As far as Rare goes, the problem isn't "Oh no one likes Rare anymore" the problem is Microsoft micromanaged them to death, wasted their talents on crappy Kinect games, and made all the talent quit. And guess what, Nintendo made Retro Studio. It's like Rare died and got reincarnated."

Actually according to Isuppli, PS3 cost $494 to produce at launch, thus they were selling $500 version at break-even price, and the $600 at a minor profit.  The problem with Wii U is yes, lack of launch titles, but also, it was rushed to market, once Nintendo heard of the coming Playstation 4 via industry spies.  Thus the reason there are lack of launch titles, among other problems such as failed marketing. 

Message 10 of 23 (109 Views)
0 Likes