Reply
May 28 2013
By: Deadly_Rabbit123 Uncharted Territory 1833 posts
Offline

Wii U: Not dead yet?

16 replies 134 views Edited May 28, 2013

So, Nintendo as we know it is facing some difficult times gaining third party support.  Ubisoft and activsion seem to be supporting it well but thats about it.  EA is just being a D*** but do you think the wii u still has a chance?  Personally I think after the crap that microsoft is pulling more people are going to move to the wii u and ps4, (or both, heck i might do that).  If that's true good news for nintendo then. 

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 17 (134 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 01/09/2010
Online
27678 posts
 

Re: Wii U: Not dead yet?

May 28, 2013

Sony is definitely my calling, I used to have an XBOX many years ago, I also had the original Wii, if Microsoft is going the way it 'appears' to be going then the PS4 & the Wii U will do very well in my view, they both cater to huge but equally different demographics but both should do very well.

 

With E3 a mere week or two away Microsoft must be scrabbling now to make up for what happened recently, either that or what we all saw last week was true & they are going down a vastly different road than Sony, if they continue down that road then Sony & Nintendo will do well, very well actually.

 

BRIT-KO

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 17 (124 Views)
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/27/2013
Offline
923 posts
 

Re: Wii U: Not dead yet?

May 28, 2013
Dont misunderstand im all playstattion but microsoft does better in customer satisfaction than both nintendo and sony.
.................!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 17 (115 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 03/08/2013
Offline
741 posts
 

Re: Wii U: Not dead yet?

May 28, 2013
I think it'll do pretty good considering we don't pay fees on used games. I think Nintendo is smart by being a little different than the other 2. It has family appeal. If it was just like Microsoft and Sony i think it would be bad for them because they would lose more customers than they would gain. I personally don't see the logic in not releasing games on as many systems as i can...as a dev. More systems means more units sold. I dunno..in my opinion ea can rot in Hell.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 17 (101 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/03/2013
Online
2968 posts
 

Re: Wii U: Not dead yet?

May 28, 2013

First of all, you forgot Sega, Capcom, Disney, Warner Bros., and indies (them and the two you mentioned are the expected companies).

 

Second, sales skyrocketed twice in Europe twice. Once when Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate was released, and also when the Xbox One was announced.

 

The Wii U will be fine (assuming Nintendo actually ADVERTISES it). Some will argue that it will end up like the GameCube, but I think that it will be more like the Nintendo 64. I think the GameCube selling so poorly compared to the PS2 had to do with (1) timing and (2) the lack of a DVD player. If the GameCube did have a DVD player, then more parents would have bought it for their kids since the exclusive library on the GameCube is more kid-friendly than the PS2's. So far, there is nothing on the PS4 that appeals to kids (the good ones that don't play Call of Duty and swear all the time) besides Knack. I can't picture kids using social features.

 

As for me, I'll buy a Wii U and a PS4 eventually, but for now, I'm expanding on my PS1-3, PSP, Game Boy, DS, 3DS, GameCube, and Wii collections.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 17 (99 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 03/17/2007
Online
27934 posts
 

Re: Wii U: Not dead yet?

May 28, 2013
Wii U just has nothing interesting going for it right now. No games, no casual support and an unappealing price point. I doubt it catches the casual support the Wii had but the other two can be fixed. However, I just don't see 3rd party devs having a reason to favor the Wii U once the PS4 and Xbox One come out. So I think it has about 25% life left with no health packs in sight.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 17 (94 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/03/2013
Online
2968 posts
 

Re: Wii U: Not dead yet?

May 28, 2013

eagles1990 wrote:
Wii U just has nothing interesting going for it right now. No games, no casual support and an unappealing price point. I doubt it catches the casual support the Wii had but the other two can be fixed. However, I just don't see 3rd party devs having a reason to favor the Wii U once the PS4 and Xbox One come out. So I think it has about 25% life left with no health packs in sight.

Many gamers already don't care for the Xbox One, so what's the point in developing for it when you can't make $MONEY$? And I somewhat disagree with your argument because whether or not 3rd parties develop for it depends on different things, one of them obviously being power. An often overlooked factor is the install base (besides the Wii since most people played it once and never touched it again). Ever wonder why the PC is held back? Ever wonder why the PS2 had the most 3rd party support of its generation despite being less powerful than the GameCube and Xbox (and it was harder to program for)? I doubt the Wii U will beat the PS4, but plenty will buy it when Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Smash Bros., etc. are released, so expect at least some 3rd party support besides the ones I mentioned earlier. Remember this is a business. As companies, their goal is to make money. One last factor is the relationships between 1st and 3rd parties. For example, Capcom, Sega, and Ubisoft all have good relations with Nintendo, but EA does not.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 17 (81 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 03/17/2007
Online
27934 posts
 

Re: Wii U: Not dead yet?

May 28, 2013

kingbro1 wrote:

eagles1990 wrote:
Wii U just has nothing interesting going for it right now. No games, no casual support and an unappealing price point. I doubt it catches the casual support the Wii had but the other two can be fixed. However, I just don't see 3rd party devs having a reason to favor the Wii U once the PS4 and Xbox One come out. So I think it has about 25% life left with no health packs in sight.

Many gamers already don't care for the Xbox One, so what's the point in developing for it when you can't make $MONEY$? And I somewhat disagree with your argument because whether or not 3rd parties develop for it depends on different things, one of them obviously being power. An often overlooked factor is the install base (besides the Wii since most people played it once and never touched it again). Ever wonder why the PC is held back? Ever wonder why the PS2 had the most 3rd party support of its generation despite being less powerful than the GameCube and Xbox (and it was harder to program for)? I doubt the Wii U will beat the PS4, but plenty will buy it when Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Smash Bros., etc. are released, so expect at least some 3rd party support besides the ones I mentioned earlier. Remember this is a business. As companies, their goal is to make money. One last factor is the relationships between 1st and 3rd parties. For example, Capcom, Sega, and Ubisoft all have good relations with Nintendo, but EA does not.


  1. The Xbox One will still sell well (and better than the Wii U) in America and in parts of Europe. With Nintendo losing EA support I guarantee this. Halo, Gears, Forza and that COD DLC will still entice many to buy the console regardless of how they feel about it. 
  2. Yeah Nintendo's exclusives will sell well but that means nothing to 3rd party companies. It meant nothing for the Wii. It's also irrelevant because Nintendo has proven that they cannot constantly pump out exclusives from their own developers in a consistent timeframe so any momentum gained will be easily lost weeks later. 
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 17 (76 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/03/2013
Online
2968 posts
 

Re: Wii U: Not dead yet?

[ Edited ]
May 28, 2013

eagles1990 wrote:

kingbro1 wrote:

eagles1990 wrote:
Wii U just has nothing interesting going for it right now. No games, no casual support and an unappealing price point. I doubt it catches the casual support the Wii had but the other two can be fixed. However, I just don't see 3rd party devs having a reason to favor the Wii U once the PS4 and Xbox One come out. So I think it has about 25% life left with no health packs in sight.

Many gamers already don't care for the Xbox One, so what's the point in developing for it when you can't make $MONEY$? And I somewhat disagree with your argument because whether or not 3rd parties develop for it depends on different things, one of them obviously being power. An often overlooked factor is the install base (besides the Wii since most people played it once and never touched it again). Ever wonder why the PC is held back? Ever wonder why the PS2 had the most 3rd party support of its generation despite being less powerful than the GameCube and Xbox (and it was harder to program for)? I doubt the Wii U will beat the PS4, but plenty will buy it when Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Smash Bros., etc. are released, so expect at least some 3rd party support besides the ones I mentioned earlier. Remember this is a business. As companies, their goal is to make money. One last factor is the relationships between 1st and 3rd parties. For example, Capcom, Sega, and Ubisoft all have good relations with Nintendo, but EA does not.


  1. The Xbox One will still sell well (and better than the Wii U) in America and in parts of Europe. With Nintendo losing EA support I guarantee this. Halo, Gears, Forza and that COD DLC will still entice many to buy the console regardless of how they feel about it. 
  2. Yeah Nintendo's exclusives will sell well but that means nothing to 3rd party companies. It meant nothing for the Wii. It's also irrelevant because Nintendo has proven that they cannot constantly pump out exclusives from their own developers in a consistent timeframe so any momentum gained will be easily lost weeks later. 

We still don't know that for sure. I think we should stop discussing about who will dominate and wait and see what happens. We all have our own views on the situation, and right now, anything can happen. E3 is coming, and it will make or break all 3 consoles.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 17 (72 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 02/25/2012
Offline
115 posts
 

Re: Wii U: Not dead yet?

May 28, 2013

Compare the Wii U to the Xbox One and you'll see that one is consumer/gamer friendly and the other is anti-consumer.Plain and simple.I believe it'll start selling more when they lower the price of the console and add new games.

Also about the lack of games currently available,everyone seems to forget the LOADS of games available through the Virtual Console and Wiiware.Of course many of the latter aren't that great,but you can't beat old-school Mario. :smileyvery-happy:

 

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 17 (52 Views)
Reply
0 Likes