Fender Bender
2922 posts

Re: Why the Rush to Beat a Game?

Nov 24, 2012

For me is to find out "what happends next"! My last game where I was like that was on inFamous. I wanted to know what happends in the end and to see what new powers I would get. The one before that was Resident Evil 2.

My brother told me what you are saying when I was playing Metroid Fusion (GBA). Smiley Tongue

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 11 of 33 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
23 posts

Dec 4, 2012

People sometimes can't wait to get their hands on the game and once they do, they just stay attached. This is normal and have done it plenty of times. Sometimes even having to end up playing the game again; because then I realize... It was over.  

Though I have noticed, I play differently with each game depending on the quality of the story, the actual content or what is the player expected to do in the game and the experience.

Message 12 of 33 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3249 posts

Dec 4, 2012

It takes me about a week or two to beat a game, I like to take my time but after that I speed run to get all the trophies.

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Youtube: Akirasolid Entertainment

Message 13 of 33 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Dec 4, 2012

People don't have patience's anymore.  Look at Little Big Planet.  People rush like mad crazy for some reason and die.  Won't take the time to ace and collect everything.   They think, everything is a **bleep** race!  

Message 14 of 33 (125 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Dec 4, 2012
I finish games fast because I want to know what happens next, is the same when reading a book, I do take pauses, like if I get to a new area I stop playing for the day, just to prolong the experience. I take forever to get trophies after the story mode though.
Message 15 of 33 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8695 posts

Dec 4, 2012
I wish I had enough time in the day to beat games fast. Smiley Sad

~Fighting the Good Fight~
Message 16 of 33 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
229 posts

Dec 4, 2012
some prolly do it for trophies so they can gather more
Message 17 of 33 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7546 posts

Dec 7, 2012

I definitely never rush to finish a game.  I need to feel like I've gotten my money's worth.  Which is hard because a lot of the action games I like tend to only have a story of 8-12 hours.  If I pay $60 I want my money to last.  I like to average out my gaming saying it cost me $1 an hour to play max.  If I pay $60 I want a good 60 hours of gameplay.  A little demanding I know. It's why I buy most of my games used.

I often move on with side missions before completing the stroy to drag it out. Once I have finished a story it's hard for me to want to continue on and Im not big on item hunting for a plattie.

I know some people rush to get at the top of a leaderboard. As if it matters, but more power to them I guess.

Message 18 of 33 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
56704 posts

Dec 7, 2012

Black_Dolphin317 wrote:

I ve noticed everytime I get a new game and I talk about the progress there is always someone who chime's in on how they beat the game in 3 days.   Why not savior the moment and enjoy?  My take on it is these developers sometimes take months in cases years; what is the rush?

Some people just want to see the whole story and move onto the next game.

Me personally, well, I can only game about 2 hours/day so I don't have the opportunity to rush through games, although I have completed MANY MANY Games in my time

card

Message 19 of 33 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13633 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 7, 2012

I think it depends on the game and the person.

Some people just want to finish the game quickly, possibly to brag to to spoil it for others.

Other people just can't put the game down; I know if a game is really good and just captures me and I can't let go. Same thing happens with a good book; I'm not rushing through it, I just can't stop.
I think those that play through the SP once just for the story and pretty much ignore the collectibles (and maybe some or most side-quests) would also fall in this category; at least when I do this its because I just want to see what happens next, or am saving all the side-stuff for when I know the layouts of the levels and all.

Then...there are games that are just so short that it seems people are "rushing" through it even when they aren't. A game that can easily be completed within 2 or 3 gaming sessions (of about 2-4 hours each) is a short game, and it can easily be seen as "rushing" through the game by those who expect games to last longer.

EDIT: Most games I play I play through a few times, at least. Even the longer games (I've played Dragon Age: Origins at least 5 times through, and DA2 4 times, for example) For many of those games, the first playthrough is there to do a bunch of exploration and figuring things out, but whether I go after collectibles and all the side missions or not depends on the game; some I'll try to get everything I can done that first playthrough, but mostly I'll save a lot for a second or third, since I know the layout and when it would be best to do my searching.

Message 20 of 33 (91 Views)