Ghost of Sparta
18648 posts

Re: Why are Intel Core 2 Duo processors considered the best?

Jan 8, 2007

B1-66ER wrote:

aznsniper911 wrote:

B1-66ER wrote:
I've seen other ones that had speeds like 3.33 or 3.80 Ghz Versus a Intel Core 2 Duo with 1.86 Ghz for example.
It has 2 cores versus.....let's say the PS3's Cell Broadband Engine with "8 syncronized processors" or the Xbox 360's Xenon-CPU
How is it better than others?

One thing, we don't have the equipment to put a Cell Broband engine inside a computer and that applies to a Xenon cpu. We simply can't put it in a computer then run benchmarks to see if it is better or not. Most likely in heavy multitasking it will but gaming it won't. Games don't take up that much of dual core yet, yes they are slowly taking use of it but at a slow pace. Core 2 Duo beats any Pentium D or pentium 4 cpus is because the architecure is better meaning it is able to process the information better.

I'm not saying that I wanna put them in computers. I wanna know why the are considered the best as opposed to any other processor.

Best in what? If you really are talking about heavy multitasking it would be the Cell. But because we have nothing in computers, we can't really tell how much of a difference. As for others what is a computer cpu? hmm? AMD has been making cpus for a while too but the reason you saw many buy cpus at high clocks was due to Intel's ingenous marketing stratgey.
Message 11 of 40 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
18648 posts

Jan 8, 2007

Jak_Master wrote:
Because clockspeed doesn't matter all that much. It has to do with the architecture of the chip. And believe me, the Core 2 is the best chip on the market.

On the market for now. The K8L is very promising so far and the 4x4 with 8 cores is also.
Message 12 of 40 (1 View)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2442 posts

Jan 8, 2007
Can someone find something on the 'net about why clock speed doesen't matter all that much and post a link for me?
Message 13 of 40 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6713 posts

Jan 8, 2007
Some Cpus are mesured to have alot of ghz but dont use the ghz as well as the Core 2 duo.
Message 14 of 40 (1 View)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Jan 8, 2007
When I bought my laptop (HP DV6000z woot!) I asked the representative what the difference between the Intel Core 2 Duo and the AMD Turion 64 X2 and he said the Intel is a more "cooler" processor and it's doesn't overheat as fast. He didn't really know anything past that and neither did I so I didn't wanna spend the extra $100 for something I didn't know it's value's worth.
Message 15 of 40 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
18648 posts

Jan 8, 2007

B1-66ER wrote:
Can someone find something on the 'net about why clock speed doesen't matter all that much and post a link for me?

Why would you need proof even though all the benchmarks out there show that Core 2 Duo is slower in ghz yes but is more powerful then the faster p4?
Message 16 of 40 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
18648 posts

Jan 8, 2007

TokyoKid930 wrote:
When I bought my laptop (HP DV6000z woot!) I asked the representative what the difference between the Intel Core 2 Duo and the AMD Turion 64 X2 and he said the Intel is a more "cooler" processor and it's doesn't overheat as fast. He didn't really know anything past that and neither did I so I didn't wanna spend the extra $100 for something I didn't know it's value's worth.

Bull crap. They are not cooler, the Core 2 Duo can be argued as a bit hotter then the average x2 you see out there.
Message 17 of 40 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12815 posts

Jan 8, 2007

aznsniper911 wrote:

Jak_Master wrote:
Because clockspeed doesn't matter all that much. It has to do with the architecture of the chip. And believe me, the Core 2 is the best chip on the market.

On the market for now. The K8L is very promising so far and the 4x4 with 8 cores is also.

AMD is currently struggling to release a good chip. They had the best server chips for a short while a few years ago, but since then they've been way behind the curve.

Frankly, I think the quad-core chips Intel is going to release soon will probably be better. Only time will tell.
Message 18 of 40 (1 View)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2442 posts

Jan 8, 2007

aznsniper911 wrote:

B1-66ER wrote:

Why would you need proof even though all the benchmarks out there show that Core 2 Duo is slower in ghz yes but is more powerful then the faster p4?

Well I just wanna see an explanation. I'm not saying they aren't the best, but I wanna know exactly why.
Message 19 of 40 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
18648 posts

Jan 8, 2007

Jak_Master wrote:

aznsniper911 wrote:

Jak_Master wrote:

AMD is currently struggling to release a good chip. They had the best server chips for a short while a few years ago, but since then they've been way behind the curve.

Frankly, I think the quad-core chips Intel is going to release soon will probably be better. Only time will tell.

What you don't know is that current chips is misunderstood. It wasn't meant to compete with Core 2 Duo, it was meant as a gap and testing for the K8 cpus to DDR2 ram. As for the Quad-core chips, the benchies are out and Intel wins by a bit and the 4x4 uses a whole lot of power but 4x4 was done by Nvidia. Nvidia paid AMD to make cpus for it. Quad-core Chips by AMd is more promsing since they were being done behind our backs all alone. You'll expect to see 8 core AMD setups a bit before summer.
Message 20 of 40 (1 View)
0 Likes