Apr 22 2014
By: ossiecastro5 Ghost of Sparta 13569 posts

Which is More Important: Value or Actions?

[ Edited ]
8 replies 117 views Edited Apr 22, 2014

I was in a discussion recently with others. It brought up this thinking. A person can do good or bad. But does their significance overshadow this? Which is more important, the value a person has or the actions the person does?

I am still stumbling on this thought right now, of which is more important.

Message 1 of 9 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8190 posts

Re: Which is More Important: Value or Actions?

Apr 22, 2014
Do you,mean value as in affluence or skill or knowledge or assessed worth to those in his family or community?

Or do you mean value as in "values" as defined by code of ethics or morality?
_____________________________________________________________________________________
With few exceptions, true suppression, repression and oppression is often fueled by fear, not by logic or reasonable morality
Message 2 of 9 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Apr 22, 2014

Aeryn_James wrote:
Do you,mean value as in affluence or skill or knowledge or assessed worth to those in his family or community?

Or do you mean value as in "values" as defined by code of ethics or morality?

This.

Message 3 of 9 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8190 posts

Apr 22, 2014
Well then, I will use skill as an example.

A hard-working carpenter of limited skill creates works of limited quality.

Therefore I would say skill, or attainment of skill through study is the precursor to effective action.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
With few exceptions, true suppression, repression and oppression is often fueled by fear, not by logic or reasonable morality
Message 4 of 9 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8190 posts

Apr 22, 2014
Value and action in by the term supplied are not in conflict.

Meaningful action requires value in any sense of the word. The two terms are dependent.

Action of value, derived from value creates more value and usually more action.

Message 5 of 9 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
36722 posts

Apr 22, 2014

Value and actions are two sides of the same coin.  You need them both.

A mob has action but no value.  Generally the stupidest, craziest, loudest person becomes the leader of the mob.  Nothing good comes from a mob mentality.

On the other side, consider a monk.  He goes up in a monastery on the top of Mount Unapproachable.  He sits there for 10 years not saying anything and supposedly spending all day thinking pure thoughts.  But what does he actually do?  He might help other monks, but what do they do?  It's all contained, far away from any outsiders who might benefit from whatever powerful values he's developed up there.

You need to have values.  You need to contemplate your own values and not just take for granted that someone else knows best because they say so.  How much thought did you actually put into evaluating your own values?

And then you need to take action.  Evil prospers when good men do nothing.  Sometimes you need to take that stand.  Many times, you will be standing alone against the evil.  It needs to be done.  If you can stand there and do nothing while evil prospers, and still be able to look yourself in the mirror, then you need to go back and re-evaluate your values.  Something is wrong.

Message 6 of 9 (88 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14623 posts

Apr 22, 2014

Good flows from values. Bad values doing good typically has to do with selfish ends.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 7 of 9 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1991 posts

Apr 22, 2014
Neither. Their is no change within a closed system.

The question is can one expand beyond the system they are in.
Message 8 of 9 (68 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55471 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 22, 2014

ossiecastro5 wrote:

I was in a discussion recently with others. It brought up this thinking. A person can do good or bad. But does their significance overshadow this? Which is more important, the value a person has or the actions the person does?

I am still stumbling on this thought right now, of which is more important.

I believe that a person's inherent value and their personal actions are too connected to pick out one as more important than the other.    Our actions define who we are and also create our personal value to others.  

Message 9 of 9 (52 Views)
0 Likes