Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
5350 posts

Re: When is a $10.00 tip not enough?

Mar 8, 2013

I find tipping pizza drivers a bit absurd since we have a different tipping culture where I'm from. 

But... yeah. If you can afford 85 pizzas in a country that probably even tips janitors, you could give a little more than $10. 

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 27 (147 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
47908 posts

Mar 8, 2013

ID-69 wrote:

I find tipping pizza drivers a bit absurd since we have a different tipping culture where I'm from. 

But... yeah. If you can afford 85 pizzas in a country that probably even tips janitors, you could give a little more than $10. 

LOL  Tipping in the USA is definately not the same as other parts of the world.   I love other cultures.

If you're curious this is a great article  http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-s606/United-States:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 27 (137 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
28281 posts

Mar 8, 2013

rramsdell wrote:
Tipping is a privilege

Not mandatory

What? If I'm delivering 85 pizzas, I better be getting a nice **bleep** tip or else I'm taking the longest route possible and driving as sloppy as possible. 

I've done it before......

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 27 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Mar 8, 2013
Tipping is a privilege

For you. I wouldn't give you a tip at all. I order from somewhere else eagles. You would probably make the food smell haha.
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 27 (128 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
28281 posts

Mar 8, 2013

rramsdell wrote:
Tipping is a privilege

For you. I wouldn't give you a tip at all. I order from somewhere else eagles. You would probably make the food smell haha.

Wouldn't have been the first time :smileyvery-happy:

Glad I don't do that kind of work anymore

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 27 (125 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28649 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 8, 2013

Thanks for the responses so far guys, some interesting ones there too, I certainly wouldn't tip my usual 12%-15% for something like this, but I think somewhere between $50.00 & $100.00 is good.

For those of you that don't know, (which isn't that many of you now), I'm originally from the UK, we don't tip, well certainly not like the US does, yes you would be expected to tip in a restaurant & also a taxi driver, but that's about it, but it's part of the culture here, it's almost like it should be taught in schools here lol, but anyway I've been coming to the US for nearly 25 years now & resided here for a number of years, but because of my many years traveling here before making it my permanent home I was used to the tipping thing, it never confused or bothered me, my wife was & remains a 15% woman, I'm somewhere between 10% & 15% most of the time, if the service is particularly good I'll get it nearer 20%.

PP, your linked article was interesting & it raises an issue that annoys me, not just in the US but anywhere in the world, service charges that have already been added on, now that really gets my blood boiling, yes for large groups of people I agree, but for the vast majority of the time it is couples or very small groups of people & it will be I that choose the tip, not the restaurant, I have even been known, much to the embarrassment of my wife to have the service charge removed from the bill!

Keep the responses coming.

BRIT-KO

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 27 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7551 posts

Mar 8, 2013
I find it odd that the employee has to depend on the customer to get a proper wage. Isn't it the business owner's responsibility to make sure that all their employees are paid fairly for their work?

Oh, what am I talking about. I am making too much sense!

I avoid eating out exactly because of this.
FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 27 (114 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
28281 posts

Mar 8, 2013

Doppelgangergang wrote:
I find it odd that the employee has to depend on the customer to get a proper wage. Isn't it the business owner's responsibility to make sure that all their employees are paid fairly for their work?

Oh, what am I talking about. I am making too much sense!

I avoid eating out exactly because of this.

Of course not!!! Because then greedy **bleep** like Papa John Schnatter wouldn't have enough money to buy mansions!!! 

$6.00/hr (which is what I made) is apparently more than enough to live off of.....

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 27 (105 Views)
Big Daddy
18893 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 8, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote: 

So everyone, my question to you all is what would you have given the driver?

BRIT-KO

For an order that size, I definitely think that the driver should have received no less than a $50 tip.

For me personally, I feel that at least $100 is appropriate, and that is the amount that I would have been comfortable with in giving the driver as a tip. 

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 27 (95 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4403 posts

Mar 8, 2013

As a former Zza Delivery guy, I would have liked to get at least $30 for the delivery.  Not that it should be based on the receipt value, but rather on the size of the order.

If I got 85 Boxes of Pizza to s destination in the time frame they wanted, and the boxes were all in pristine condition, I think I would appreciate more than $10.00 for my efforts.

This being said, Delivery is its own animal.  I never went to a place expecting the tip to reflect any percentage of the bill.  I usually expected at least $1-$2, on normal orders.  For the larger orders (10 Piazzas+), I would usually hope for, but still not expect, between $5 & $10.

I always tip 20% on Dine in service.  I do not, however, include the Well Drinks in the total when figuring the tip.  No one actually should.  If you want to tip the bartender, then go in and give them their own.  Most, waiters/waitresses do not share their tips with the bartender.  I did say most, not all.

So in essence, if you order a $15.00 meal, and $25 worth of drinks, you should only tip on the $15.  The waitress did nothing more than stop by the bar for the drinks.  The food is another story.

So in review, for the large Pizza order, they should have tipped at least $20 if not $30.  $10 is a bit of a slap.  At least in my opinion.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 27 (76 Views)