Survivor
3000 posts

Re: What makes your city look bad?

Nov 22, 2006

ZOFOURTWENTY wrote:

well, i grew up in NYC and as far as the subway tunnels we used to go to the platform and walk the tracks to get into the tunnels.  you know what was crazy was there are alot of tunnels that have stations which are abandoned/closed and when you come to these stations there are bums living there and it's weird to see these old stations.  as far as the billboards on rooftops, you just have to be creative and find a way.  we had to be careful and watch out for the vandal squad, they were cops who would bust graffiti artists.  we would also sneak into trainyards and bomb the trains.  but most trains would only run 24 hours with graffiti on them before they were cleaned.  now the mta's policy is no train runs with graffiti on it, they have these car wash tracks where the trains run through that bathe the trains in paint thinner to remove the spray paint.  i also remmeber goin to long island to "rack" cans. (steal spray paint, preferrably krylon)  bombing was a big deal when i was in HS.  there are underground movies made depicting the lifestyle of graffiti artists.  it was called VIDEOGRAF. 

Ah, so you're the reason why tax raised a bit. Did you know that's where our money is going? To fix the graffiti, scratchini (sp?) etc. Have you been to Hoyt (the A and G conjunction) I think the F ran there once upon a time in that abandoned track. I saw no bums. I don't think I've seen any abandoned station... just abandoned tracks.
Message 61 of 102 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9199 posts

Nov 22, 2006

Eris Strife wrote:

ZOFOURTWENTY wrote:

well, i grew up in NYC and as far as the subway tunnels we used to go to the platform and walk the tracks to get into the tunnels.  you know what was crazy was there are alot of tunnels that have stations which are abandoned/closed and when you come to these stations there are bums living there and it's weird to see these old stations.  as far as the billboards on rooftops, you just have to be creative and find a way.  we had to be careful and watch out for the vandal squad, they were cops who would bust graffiti artists.  we would also sneak into trainyards and bomb the trains.  but most trains would only run 24 hours with graffiti on them before they were cleaned.  now the mta's policy is no train runs with graffiti on it, they have these car wash tracks where the trains run through that bathe the trains in paint thinner to remove the spray paint.  i also remmeber goin to long island to "rack" cans. (steal spray paint, preferrably krylon)  bombing was a big deal when i was in HS.  there are underground movies made depicting the lifestyle of graffiti artists.  it was called VIDEOGRAF. 

Ah, so you're the reason why tax raised a bit. Did you know that's where our money is going? To fix the graffiti, scratchini (sp?) etc. Have you been to Hoyt (the A and G conjunction) I think the F ran there once upon a time in that abandoned track. I saw no bums. I don't think I've seen any abandoned station... just abandoned tracks.

i was a small % of the cause of this problem.  one of the trainyards we used to hit was the trainyard for the E, F, G, N, R.  it was by the van wyck  expressway by the flushing meadows park exit.  hoyt  sounds familiar, is that in brooklyn, or border of queens, brooklyn.  where do you live?
Message 62 of 102 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
3000 posts

Nov 22, 2006

ZOFOURTWENTY wrote:

i was a small % of the cause of this problem.  one of the trainyards we used to hit was the trainyard for the E, F, G, N, R.  it was by the van wyck  expressway by the flushing meadows park exit.  hoyt  sounds familiar, is that in brooklyn, or border of queens, brooklyn.  where do you live?

Well ok, lol. Graffiti is bad; can't believe you do that. Hoyt Schimahorn or whatever the spelling is. Yeah, it's in Brooklyn. I'm from Brooklyn; born and raised. I travel back and forth from Brooklyn to Manhattan everyday since frickin' birth (school and work, you know how it goes.) I'm not familiar with train lines in other boroughs but I do travel to Queens sometimes to shop. It's cheap over there.
Message 63 of 102 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9199 posts

Nov 22, 2006

Eris Strife wrote:

ZOFOURTWENTY wrote:

Well ok, lol. Graffiti is bad; can't believe you do that. Hoyt Schimahorn or whatever the spelling is. Yeah, it's in Brooklyn. I'm from Brooklyn; born and raised. I travel back and forth from Brooklyn to Manhattan everyday since frickin' birth (school and work, you know how it goes.) I'm not familiar with train lines in other boroughs but I do travel to Queens sometimes to shop. It's cheap over there.

dude, i dont do it nowadays.  i USED to do it when i was in HS.  just thought i would share alittle insight to it.  i was not expecting to get judged.  i have been out of HS for over 10 years.  i am over that.  i have been living in CALIFORNIA for the past month.  i ahve not done graffiti in a really long time.  i actually despise it and am not an advocate of it.
Message 64 of 102 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10139 posts

Nov 22, 2006
I live in the Detroit area. Downtown is pretty nice now days but still has a huge homeless problem. The rest of the city is filled with crack and hookers.

The thing that really annoys me about the homeless problem is how little the city is trying to do about it. Anytime there is a sporting event like the world series or the superbowl, the city opens up this huge shelter and tries to force every homeless person off the street so out of town people think we have a great city. After the event is over and people get back on their planes to leave the city, the homeless are turned loose onto the streets again
Message 65 of 102 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6649 posts

Nov 22, 2006
My city is so neveu-riche it's embarassing!
Message 66 of 102 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3560 posts

Nov 22, 2006
I live in Raleigh, NC. Whenever I have visitors, they say there are too many trees. In a way, that is a good thing but it is depressing when you are driving for a while on the highway with the same green trees around you.
Message 67 of 102 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12093 posts

Nov 22, 2006
Hmm.. Minneapolis.

I'm not really sure of one right now, but if you gave me a while, I might think of something.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Message 68 of 102 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4762 posts

Nov 22, 2006
London = Crime, its on the rise quite a bit, other then that the nutty weather....

Message 69 of 102 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
13470 posts

Nov 22, 2006
New York: We are known not to be nice, but we all really areSmiley Wink

Message 70 of 102 (0 Views)
0 Likes