Highlighted
Feb 07 2012
By: killzoneempire First Son 3 posts

What is the fastest cable modem I can get to further increase internet speeds?

4 replies 357 views Edited Feb 7, 2012

I have a high speed router and just got Turbo Internet thru my cable company and I am hard wired and have a secure connection (nobody can piggy back off my signal). We are on a fiber-optic network as well. Now all I need is a faster modem other than the one my cable company has provided. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks guys!!

Message 1 of 5 (357 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8190 posts

Re: What is the fastest cable modem I can get to further increase internet speeds?

Feb 7, 2012

Do a speedtest at about 3AM in the morning and see if you are getting your advertised speed. When you do get your advertised speed that you are paying for, a "faster modem" would do nothing.

Also, try to do the test on wired internet (not wireless) connected directly to the modem, as crappy routers can slow you down.

Message 2 of 5 (357 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: What is the fastest cable modem I can get to further increase internet speeds?

Feb 7, 2012

I don't see how another cable modem would make your connection any faster. The limit is set by the ISP, and they give you a cable modem that will support those speeds.

Is there something else you were thinking about?

Message 3 of 5 (357 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5092 posts

Feb 7, 2012

potatobreath wrote:

I don't see how another cable modem would make your connection any faster. The limit is set by the ISP, and they give you a cable modem that will support those speeds.

Actually, many American ISPs will give you the cheapest modem they can get away with, not necessarily one that will support the highest speeds your service level allows. Before I switched to cable service, I had DSL through a horrible company which had no competition in my area (at the time). The modem they gave me was a piece of junk, so after I replaced it I did see a dramatic improvement in my connection speed.

Message 4 of 5 (357 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 7, 2012

The Canadian ISPs hand out crummy gateways (UPnP usually breaks), but they do support the speeds allowed by the connection. The technicians confirm it before they leave. I don't think the huge ISPs here have much of a choice when they're pushing TV, phone and internet over the same pipe.

Message 5 of 5 (357 Views)
0 Likes