Nov 23 2006
By: DrGadget Welcoming Committee 37291 posts

What is Black Friday????????

[ Edited ]
6 replies 92 views Edited May 27, 2013
So I'm thinking I might actually go out there tomorrow and get a laptop computer.  I plan on spending about $600 unless something really jumps out at me and pries $800 out of my wallet.  Do you think there will be anything good for $600 or am I going to get stuck with a 200 MHz sub-celeron piece of junk with a 5.25 floppy on the side?

And are there any features I really have to have?  Like if I don't get USB 3.0 (or whatever) I might as well not even have a laptop?

++++++++++
2013 Upgrade options

WD Scorpio Black 500GB About 64
Message 1 of 7 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3560 posts

Re: What is Black Friday????????

Nov 23, 2006
Welllll, I think that the best 6-800 dollar computer you can find would be a gateway or Toshiba. And they usually have the best features.

Message Edited by eman94 on 11-23-2006 10:00 AM
Message 2 of 7 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
37291 posts

Nov 25, 2006
Well I did better yesterday than I expected to.  I got a really nice laptop for a really good price.

It's a Sony VAIO FE660G.  First let's talk price.  The guy at Best Buy said it's normally a $1200 computer (local).  They had it marked down to $799.  But they ran out of the laptop I wanted due to a shopper's frenzy and they had to make a substitution.  I got it for $499.  Montgomery has a 10% sales tax (yeah really) and I was out the door with it for $549.  Still a really good deal.  I just looked it up on www.pricewatch.com and the cheapest one goes for $864.  That's a rock-bottom internet price.  Too cool.  And I didn't spend a whole lot of time there either.  Maybe a half hour or 45 minutes.  It's worth it to save about 50% of the money locally.

Now I’ll give you some specs.
It has the Centrino system (whatever that is) with a T2300 Core Duo processor (1.66 GHz) with 2 MB L2 cache and 667 MHz FSB.
1 GB main memory
100 GB hdd
Windows XP laptop version pre-loaded
DVD RW dual layer
15.4 inch XBRITE-ECO screen
5.5 hour lithium ion battery
3 USB ports on the side.  Various other ports I'll never use.

Now let’s talk performance.  My main computer is about 5 years old.  It’s an Athlon XP 2000+ on an ECS K7S5A mobo.  Not fancy but it does the job.  The laptop is much faster, especially with online gaming.  It has a nice video card and the effects look more “magical”, not to mention smoother and faster.  Almost no lag, and that’s on the wireless port.  I still had the wireless network card from the old crappy laptop so I just popped it in this one.  It recognized it and I was on the internet.  Then I removed all that free AOL crap they load on there.  No thanks.

I put it on the platinum credit card in case there’s any problem in a year and I want a refund.  Automatic extended warrantee.  Fewer hassles that way.  And maybe in a year this computer will be going for $300 brand new.  Who knows?  It also is noticeably lighter than the old P3 laptop and runs much cooler.

I think I did pretty well for one day.

Message 3 of 7 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
949 posts

Nov 25, 2006

DrGadget wrote:
Well I did better yesterday than I expected to.  I got a really nice laptop for a really good price.

It's a Sony VAIO FE660G.  First let's talk price.  The guy at Best Buy said it's normally a $1200 computer (local).  They had it marked down to $799.  But they ran out of the laptop I wanted due to a shopper's frenzy and they had to make a substitution.  I got it for $499.  Montgomery has a 10% sales tax (yeah really) and I was out the door with it for $549.  Still a really good deal.  I just looked it up on www.pricewatch.com and the cheapest one goes for $864.  That's a rock-bottom internet price.  Too cool.  And I didn't spend a whole lot of time there either.  Maybe a half hour or 45 minutes.  It's worth it to save about 50% of the money locally.

Now I’ll give you some specs.
It has the Centrino system (whatever that is) with a T2300 Core Duo processor (1.66 GHz) with 2 MB L2 cache and 667 MHz FSB.
1 GB main memory
100 GB hdd
Windows XP laptop version pre-loaded
DVD RW dual layer
15.4 inch XBRITE-ECO screen
5.5 hour lithium ion battery
3 USB ports on the side.  Various other ports I'll never use.

Now let’s talk performance.  My main computer is about 5 years old.  It’s an Athlon XP 2000+ on an ECS K7S5A mobo.  Not fancy but it does the job.  The laptop is much faster, especially with online gaming.  It has a nice video card and the effects look more “magical”, not to mention smoother and faster.  Almost no lag, and that’s on the wireless port.  I still had the wireless network card from the old crappy laptop so I just popped it in this one.  It recognized it and I was on the internet.  Then I removed all that free AOL crap they load on there.  No thanks.

I put it on the platinum credit card in case there’s any problem in a year and I want a refund.  Automatic extended warrantee.  Fewer hassles that way.  And maybe in a year this computer will be going for $300 brand new.  Who knows?  It also is noticeably lighter than the old P3 laptop and runs much cooler.

I think I did pretty well for one day.

very nice
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Message 4 of 7 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
25087 posts

Nov 25, 2006
Nice! You got a really good deal. A friend of mine wanted to buy the $599 Sony but they were out of stock. I don't think the store is suppose to use subsitutes, it says it somewhere in the ad.

think different
Message 5 of 7 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3847 posts

Nov 25, 2006
Black friday's over man
I Accept All Friend Requests. *Xbox Live Guru*
Message 6 of 7 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted