Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ghost of Sparta
14653 posts

Re: What if the Atomic bomb was never created?

Oct 4, 2008

Blue2 wrote:
MGS games would not be a big hit and the world would be a better place

If the Grand Mama or Papa of the dude who made Sony died, we would all be playing nothing.....possibly Xbox.
Photobucket
Message 61 of 67 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Oct 4, 2008

TWISTER_EXTREME wrote:
Most complicated language? Pft, as if. English is far from the hardest language in the world, more like one of the easiest.

Well, I admit I guessed a little bit on that one.

From any other languages I've dabbled in, Spanish, Deutsche, French, Italian, Ebonics;  they're difficult for me only because my "windows" of efficient language learning are long closed.

But the structure is far simpler than English.  They don't have contractions, so things like the word order are a bit different than English, but their lexicon seems to be many times smaller.  When watching things that have been dubbed in another language, I notice things like "hi", "hey", "hello", and other introductory greetings are all the same word in a different language.

I said English is the most complicated language because it changes so much and there are so many tenses and different word forms and different ways to say things that I'm sure glad I'm not trying to learn English.

So, perhaps I jumped the gun in the sense that I haven't checked out every language in the world.  I'm sure, depending on your definition of "complicated", something like Korean or Japanese is way more complicated.  But I'd think that they were more efficient due to using symbols to project ideas more than words.  Or something like Hebrew where some of the untranslatable words take a whole paragraph in English to describe.

But, I digress...

Back on topic, dropping the Bomb on Japan ended the war.  The number of people we killed doing that would probably have been a pittance compared to the number of people who would have been killed had the war continued.  Thank goodness the bombs went off.  The U.S. wasn't even sure the bombs would go off you know. 

Message 62 of 67 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2014 posts

Oct 4, 2008

kaveh77 wrote:
I dont know if you have seen lost but in one of the episodes they said you cannot stop something from happening for example if you knew the day of your death and how it was going to be a car crash that same day you avoided going outside you would still die that same day. So what im trying to say the atomic bomb would be created
Message Edited by kaveh77 on 10-04-2008 10:12 AM

That's commonly referred to as Fatalism.

The belief that nothing you do will matter, because everything is fated to happen, regardless of what you do.

--------------

I was going to mention about Japan developing the bomb as well, but Mikey beat me to it.

--------------

I'd say that WWII would've took longer to finish, but the outcome would have been the same; barring some deviously clever ploy by Japan that would undermined the assault, and tip the scales in their favor.

Also, without fear of Mutually Assured Destruction, WWIII would've been inevitable in the the 50's-70's, with the U.S. and Soviet Union leading the two sides, and most likely with a third smaller faction causing trouble. I can't say who would've won that one, since it would depend on the skills and competence of their leaders.

The advent of computer technology would've been delayed by a few decades, and most likely, the space race would've been postponed until the 90's, maybe later, depending on when WWIII began and long it lasted.

King_of_Strategy: "I just finished reading 'Great Expectations'."
Man: "Was it any good?"
King_of_Strategy: "Eh, it wasn't everything I had hoped for..."
Message 63 of 67 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1483 posts

Oct 4, 2008

Sub-Standard wrote:

TWISTER_EXTREME wrote:
Most complicated language? Pft, as if. English is far from the hardest language in the world, more like one of the easiest.

From any other languages I've dabbled in, Spanish, Deutsche, French, Italian, Ebonics;  they're difficult for me only because my "windows" of efficient language learning are long closed.

But the structure is far simpler than English.  They don't have contractions, so things like the word order are a bit different than English, but their lexicon seems to be many times smaller.  When watching things that have been dubbed in another language, I notice things like "hi", "hey", "hello", and other introductory greetings are all the same word in a different language.

I said English is the most complicated language because it changes so much and there are so many tenses and different word forms and different ways to say things that I'm sure glad I'm not trying to learn English.

So, perhaps I jumped the gun in the sense that I haven't checked out every language in the world.  I'm sure, depending on your definition of "complicated", something like Korean or Japanese is way more complicated.  But I'd think that they were more efficient due to using symbols to project ideas more than words.  Or something like Hebrew where some of the untranslatable words take a whole paragraph in English to describe.

But, I digress...

Back on topic, dropping the Bomb on Japan ended the war.  The number of people we killed doing that would probably have been a pittance compared to the number of people who would have been killed had the war continued.  Thank goodness the bombs went off.  The U.S. wasn't even sure the bombs would go off you know. 

No, most European languages blow English out in terms of complexity. My mom's native language is German. She also learned French,Latin,Russian, and English. She says English was the easiest by far. Languages are of great interest to me. And I guess you haven't heard much of Slavic languages where there are different ways of greeting people and saying hello to them depending on their age, and how well you know them. English is very simple and I wish I moved to a different country then an english speaking one, so I could learn English second hand since it's so easy. I have talked to a lot of my friends from germany and all of them say English is very easy to learn.

Not to mention a lot of people want to have pride in their language, specially in English speaking countries where the highest rates of monolinguals live. I've talked to Mexicans who say Spanish the the hardest language in the world, and of course that's their native language. English is just very simple, that's all. A bunch of words can mean the same thing is pretty easy to learn with a little discipline and actually makes things somewhat easier in the sense that we don't have to remember multiple words for things, just the same words. Plus other language have the same sort of thing. "preggo" in italian can mean "your welcome", "go ahead" "what would you like to order", etc.

Hungarian,Polish, and some other slavic languages are probably some of the hardest languages that use the latin alphabet.

Deutsch und stolz!
btw if u wanna send me a pm and we can just talk, im so bored
Message 64 of 67 (12 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1255 posts

Oct 4, 2008

fluffynumkins wrote:

PS-ROCK* wrote:

kaveh77 wrote:
I dont know if you have seen lost but in one of the episodes they said you cannot stop something from happening for example if you knew the day of your death and how it was going to be a car crash that same day you avoided going outside you would still die that same day. So what im trying to say the atomic bomb would be created
Message Edited by kaveh77 on 10-04-2008 10:12 AM

lost is right, those people don't even know what they're talking about. ZING!

what the hell? you created the thread

I meant the people in the show "lost".
I'm just here cus' I heard there would be cake
Message 65 of 67 (12 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1255 posts

Oct 4, 2008

TWISTER_EXTREME wrote:

Sub-Standard wrote:

TWISTER_EXTREME wrote:

But, I digress...

No, most European languages blow English out in terms of complexity. My mom's native language is German. She also learned French,Latin,Russian, and English. She says English was the easiest by far. Languages are of great interest to me. And I guess you haven't heard much of Slavic languages where there are different ways of greeting people and saying hello to them depending on their age, and how well you know them. English is very simple and I wish I moved to a different country then an english speaking one, so I could learn English second hand since it's so easy. I have talked to a lot of my friends from germany and all of them say English is very easy to learn.

Not to mention a lot of people want to have pride in their language, specially in English speaking countries where the highest rates of monolinguals live. I've talked to Mexicans who say Spanish the the hardest language in the world, and of course that's their native language. English is just very simple, that's all. A bunch of words can mean the same thing is pretty easy to learn with a little discipline and actually makes things somewhat easier in the sense that we don't have to remember multiple words for things, just the same words. Plus other language have the same sort of thing. "preggo" in italian can mean "your welcome", "go ahead" "what would you like to order", etc.

Hungarian,Polish, and some other slavic languages are probably some of the hardest languages that use the latin alphabet.

YOU TWO. Go take your argument somewhere where I can't see it...  you're arguing about propper grammar, who the hell does that?

I'm just here cus' I heard there would be cake
Message 66 of 67 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
11328 posts

Oct 4, 2008
bioterrorism and more pollution.

Message 67 of 67 (12 Views)
0 Likes