Highlighted
Dec 01 2006
By: iUser3G Fender Bender 3224 posts

What do you think this deserves?

10 replies 2 views Edited Dec 1, 2006
This is a two page section of the 7 page paper I just finished typing. It's due tomorrow. What kind of grade do you think it should get? Please be honest. Thanks!

The general theme of this research paper is to inform you about computer crime, its origins, how it works, and what its possible future applications could be. This research paper will also assess whether or not computer crime is dangerous to the average computer user.

Computer crime first gained recognition in 1991, when the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act was used to prosecute a Cornell University student named Robert T. Morris for, “Violating a provision of the act that punishes anyone who, without authorization, intentionally accesses a ‘federal interest computer’ and damages or prevents authorized use of information in such a computer, causing losses of $1,000 or more.” Computer crime stemmed from the term computer “hacking” which was done by a person who, “Spends their spare time creating video games and other basic computer programs. However, this term acquired a negative connotation in the 1980s when computer experts illegally accessed several high-profile databanks. Databases at the Los Alamos National Laboratory (a center of nuclear weapons research) and the Sloan-KetteringCancerCenter in New York City were among their targets. The introduction of relatively inexpensive personal computers and modems helped make this pastime affordable; the use of regular telephone lines as access ways made it possible. Over time, the designation "hacker" came to be associated with programmers and disseminators of computer viruses, and the public perception of hackers continues to be one of lone computer experts with a taste for mischief or mayhem.”

There are many ways to commit computer crime. Some examples of computer crime are:
Accessing a computer, system, or network.
Modifying, damaging, using, disclosing, copying, or taking programs or data.
Introducing a virus or other contaminant into a computer system.
Using a computer in a scheme to defraud.
Interfering with someone else's computer access or use.
Using encryption in aid of a crime.
Falsifying e-mail source information.
Stealing an information service from a provider.

The future of computer crime does not look good. Nearly all market analysts predict that within the next 5 years, physical stores will cease to exist, and all purchases and transactions will take place on the Internet. Evidence of these radical predictions is already evident. Many products at major store chains are available only on the Internet. For example at the popular website, www.Amazon.com, an Xbox 360 was on sale for $99.99, while in any physical store, the same product would cost $399.99. The ability of the Internet to provide extremely low prices for the exact same products found in retail stores will probably continue its growth, thereby causing the demise of physical stores, as predicted by market analysts. If more money transactions take place on the Internet, they will give more people the chance to commit computer crimes such as identity theft, or disabling a person’s computer.

In conclusion, computer crime may not be a major concern of most people today, but in the next 5-10 years, when most transactions will take place online, it could become a very large problem. Today, computer crime does not pose a very large risk to the average computer user. If you know the signs of “phishing” (a word created to describe identity theft and other computer based crimes) you should be quite safe on the Internet. However, in the next 5-10 years, it will be much harder to detect fraud and identity theft on the Internet.

I reached 128-bit at 2,325 posts!!!oneone111!!

Message 1 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
14324 posts

Re: What do you think this deserves?

Dec 1, 2006
i kind of skimed over it but brings up a couple of quotes i have come accorss reguarding computer crimes....

"My crime is that of curiosity, my crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for." -- The Mentor

"We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowlege... and you call us criminals.... we exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals... You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us belive it's for our own good, yet were the criminals." -- No dedication to this one was given, Source: totse
Message 2 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3224 posts

Dec 1, 2006

jamaica0535 wrote:
i kind of skimed over it but brings up a couple of quotes i have come accorss reguarding computer crimes....

"My crime is that of curiosity, my crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for." -- The Mentor

"We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowlege... and you call us criminals.... we exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals... You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us belive it's for our own good, yet were the criminals." -- No dedication to this one was given, Source: totse

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to incorporate that into the paper.

Message 3 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
14324 posts

Dec 1, 2006

Carmaster wrote:

jamaica0535 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to incorporate that into the paper.

no problem, i got them both off of totse, in the tech section you can find rearly infinit information on computer crimes, among many other things....  although not all of it is reliable....
Message 4 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4613 posts

Dec 1, 2006
It needs more detail. I.E. not use such basic vocabulary.

Also your opening paragraph (im assuming this is page one) is too middle school, "This is my paper, this is what i'll tell you about, etc."

Photobucket

Message 5 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4565 posts

Dec 1, 2006
for only the 2nd/7 pages...
i would give this one a 4/5.
I get an informative narrative feeling... not sure if thats what you need though. /Robot wink
~
Message 6 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12488 posts

Dec 1, 2006
I think it deserves an A+++, if it even goes that high.
Watch out! House is about ready to hit you with his cane...
Message 7 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10634 posts

Dec 1, 2006
I don't like:

"The future of computer crime does not look good. Nearly all market analysts predict that within the next 5 years, physical stores will cease to exist, and all purchases and transactions will take place on the Internet. Evidence of these radical predictions is already evident. Many products at major store chains are available only on the Internet. For example at the popular website, www.Amazon.com, an Xbox 360 was on sale for $99.99, while in any physical store, the same product would cost $399.99."

The first sentence is confusing as to what your point of the sentence is. Consider something like, "The future seems to suggest computer crimes will only rise."

I also wouldn't use the example of the xbox 360 at amazon, because that was a one-day sale, for a very limited time, only because it was black friday.

Instead, use a website such as http://www.jr.com/ (J&R Computer and Music World) selling items frequently at $15-70 off the retail price the physical stores would charge... Or how about monoprice.com, for extremely low-priced cables? sites like epinions.com who give user reviews AND list prices of items so that consumers can not only be informed about what they're about to purchase, they can also get an instant list of some of the best priced online stores to get the items from.

As long as we're on the subject of examples... you probably don't want to pass up the example of computer crimes, when someone had came up with a fake Ebay (vs. ebay) one of the few ways of differentiating it was that the fake site had a capital letter E. Anyone purchasing anything from that site ended up just giving away personal information... or something like that.

Also, another thing that I noticed, is the list of computer crime types. I'm not sure my teachers would've liked a list like that... they'd all suggest putting the list in paragraph form, with the seperate entities separated by commas.
Message 8 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3224 posts

Re: Re: What do you think this deserves?

Dec 1, 2006
To Wonder: well, I am in middle school.Smiley Surprised

Message 9 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3224 posts

Re: Re: What do you think this deserves?

Dec 1, 2006
Thanks for everyone's advice!

Message 10 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes