Big Daddy
19028 posts

Re: What are you thankful for?

Oct 15, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

hwhunt13 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

Im thankful that advertisers took advantage of the extreme irony of putting the most glutonous event after a holiday that's all about being grateful

And I could not be more thankful for that. Yum. 

And I am not thankful for the secularization of Christmas, Easter, and some other catholic saints' feast days (St. John Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's day)

The catholics stole pagan holiday rituals and mixed it with christianity... I'd call it a wash.

Everything from rabbits one easter, to when we celebrate christmas.

Easter has to do with the Resurrection of Jesus Christ

Christmas has to do the Birth of Jesus Christ.

The Secular traditions as you know today came from the pagan holidays

St. Valentines day (February 14th) celebrates the life and times of St. John Valentine who was a martyr for the Catholic faith in the Early Catholic Church era.

St. Patrick's day (March 17th) was founded on the Life and Death of St. Patrick, who was a Catholic Bishop.

The Saints feast days like St. John Valentine's Day and Saint Patrick's day are determined by the death date of the saints.

photo 683842d5-5deb-4335-8bcb-5b2166398090_zpsafb7b8da.jpg
Message 11 of 44 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 15, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

hwhunt13 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

Im thankful that advertisers took advantage of the extreme irony of putting the most glutonous event after a holiday that's all about being grateful

And I could not be more thankful for that. Yum. 

And I am not thankful for the secularization of Christmas, Easter, and some other catholic saints' feast days (St. John Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's day)

The catholics stole pagan holiday rituals and mixed it with christianity... I'd call it a wash.

Everything from rabbits one easter, to when we celebrate christmas.

Well let me clarify some of this stuff and we can keep froma  religious debate!

Christmas was put on December 25th centuries after Christianity was established. It was done because Pagans celebrated their winter holiday around that time and this gave an alternative for Christians. To keep your followers from going to a heretical party, why not make your own version with your own ideals? That is the idea.

And Easter is, in name and secular practice, very pagan. But it is at the correct date since the Bible gives the time of the ressurrection by using Passover as a nice landmark date. 

But I agree with Hunt in a way. There is a new push for political correctness and inclusive language. "Holiday trees" instead of "Christmas trees" for example. And Christmas is already very non-Christian with these trees, gift giving, and the like, so yeah. My Sikh friends celebrate Christmas in the sense of a cartoon special about being happier when you give than receive

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 12 of 44 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3578 posts

Oct 15, 2013

Well, Five, it's time to do this. @FiveFourteen 

Abandon+Thread+_+Just+an+abandon+thread+_gif+that+I+made_2e0685_4291330.gif

Message 13 of 44 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Oct 15, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

I'm thankful for my life, and everything around it: the ups, downs, and everything in between have taught me to be the man I am today, and I kinda like that guy. Smiley Happy

I like how you turned out so far. DO NOT GO AND CHANGE THAT!

Message 14 of 44 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Oct 15, 2013

userusb wrote:

NO! I like the idea of this thread and would hate for it to die in a pit of flames and hate!

Message 15 of 44 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3578 posts

Oct 15, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

userusb wrote:

NO! I like the idea of this thread and would hate for it to die in a pit of flames and hate!

Then let's keep this thread on topic. Smiley Happy

I'm thankful for........ Pokemon... yes...

Message 16 of 44 (77 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Oct 15, 2013

If bringing up a bit of history is all it takes to derail this... then.. I feel sorry for you all.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 17 of 44 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Oct 15, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

If bringing up a bit of history is all it takes to derail this... then.. I feel sorry for you all.

Bringing up history in a vague way will just make people take what you said the wrong way.

Message 18 of 44 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Oct 15, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

Bringing up history in a vague way will just make people take what you said the wrong way.

mmmm, perhaps, I suppose I shouldn't assume any level of knowledge of a subject like that.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 19 of 44 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Oct 15, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

mmmm, perhaps, I suppose I shouldn't assume any level of knowledge of a subject like that.

I would just recommend being less vague. As you said elsewhere, people often take you as being sarcastic. Coupled with a vague reference, that may come off poorly to people.

Message 20 of 44 (62 Views)
0 Likes