Jun 13 2013
By: deibi_bling First Son 23 posts

What Should A Game Console Look Like?

13 replies 128 views Edited Jun 13, 2013
PS4

I have been playing video games since I can remember. Starting early on with the Atari, then later with the original Nintendo and his further succesors; having been able to play on the Sega Genesis and the Saturn; to finally sticking with Sony Playstation (which at one point had all versions except the new PS3 Slim). I'm not a fan of the XBOX but I have seen the systems.  Now I'm not going to talk about gameplay or the evolution of.

I want to talk about DESIGN.

I'm reading around the net and being rather annoyed with people saying the nex gen systems have been designed poorly. I wonder If it never crossed their minds that these designs are more about function and or how much will be invested in manufacturing these systems. More over, who knows the materials used. When the systems are held by experts and people [who would be willing to break warranties] take apart their systems to see the internal workings, maybe the design decisions will be understood and be much more clearer.

Yes we agree. They look like BOXES. (I personally love how the PS4 looks. The slant is sexy Smiley LOL) How ever I see a sofistication and a simplisitic touch to the systems. I'm talking about all three systems. XBOX does look a bit too bulky but all three systems have gone for that black matte or shiney look. If we look at tech that has come out in the past years, the simpler the item the safer it is to sell it to anyone. Not everyone likes a white box staring at them while they play. Some of the fan made designs did look great but in the end how many did really seem like total winners. Someone will always be displeased.

What do people actually want? WHAT DO GAMERS WANT?
What should a Gaming Console look like?

I'm totally confused at how important this is to people. I believe the game content and specs should be the importance set. The more the vents the better! If its flat? Cool! Now I have more space!

Hey maybe these designs are so they don't over heat? Smiley Wink Or are people scared they are being cheated out of buying poorly made systems. If so why not wait the first year? That's a different topic but whatever.

I Will Be Pre-Ordering PS4... Not for how it looks but for a complete experience. It's specs are impressing and the fact that It goes well with my PS3, Cable box and TV well...

That is just a PLUS Smiley LOL

Bored... Jajaja... Oh look my first rant! Please noone burn me.

Message 1 of 14 (128 Views)
VP of Gaming
34146 posts

Re: What Should A Game Console Look Like?

[ Edited ]
Jun 13, 2013

Game Sphere.

its spherical!

65hht5.png

Message 2 of 14 (125 Views)
First Son
23 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 24, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

Game Sphere.

its spherical!

65hht5.png

LOLz

Taking bowling games to a whole new level.

There goes the tv.

Message 3 of 14 (115 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
923 posts

Jun 13, 2013
I think the PS3slim was a good design.Just my opinion.
.................!!!
Message 4 of 14 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13132 posts

Jun 13, 2013
I like the way the older consoles looked
n64
ps1
sega genesis

Ps4 should look like those. I hope sony reads this and delays the console for 2 years so they change the design
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 5 of 14 (108 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Jun 13, 2013
Spherical!
 photo sig_zpsfya567e6.jpg
Message 6 of 14 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Jun 13, 2013
As long as it's not like a Virtual Boy it's fine!
Message 7 of 14 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13633 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 13, 2013

Mwahaha

I remember that episode. Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, I prefer mine to be roughly box-shaped in a nice solid color (red, blue, black, white, and silver are all good), finish just has to look good. Doesn't need excessive lights or grooves or anything. Special editions should match the "theme" (whether a game or design or something) but not be overly distracting.

After all, I'm not looking at it when I play (really, only to change disks or reset it...), so why waste time on making it a work of art? Just make it work, dang it!

EDIT: And I prefer the PS4's design over the VCR, I mean, X-Box One (horrible design to match the horrible name...). I like the PS3 as well (or, at least the Slim I have)

Message 8 of 14 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1873 posts

Jun 13, 2013

I think they did a good job on the design personally.  I do like the sleek look Smiley Happy.  I do really like the glossy sleek look of the 360 slim design though.  I think that is one of my favorite console designs.  The ps4 is my second favorite

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Message 9 of 14 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Jun 24, 2013

Deadly_Rabbit123 wrote:

I think they did a good job on the design personally.  I do like the sleek look Smiley Happy.  I do really like the glossy sleek look of the 360 slim design though.  I think that is one of my favorite console designs.  The ps4 is my second favorite

I like designs with the shiney surface too... But I do remember my original fat PS3 having getting scratches because of the usual wiping. I live on a Tropical Island and dust seems to always stick to electronics with shiney surfaces... O_O.

Message 10 of 14 (55 Views)
0 Likes