May 13 2013
By: bookepride Treasure Hunter 4577 posts

Were your teachers lazy?

17 replies 1868 views Edited May 13, 2013

I came across the original video a few days ago, and then saw the news station one on YouTube. If you haven't watched it yet click that play button!

Watched it? I must say I support him 100%! The way he acted the way out was just perfect. But to the question, how many of you here had teachers in high school or even in college where they should of never been a teacher in the first place?

In all of my years of school the worst teacher I ever had was in high school - my sophomore year. He always sat in his chair in front of his computer. Never ever got up for anything unless to leave the classroom. Made us get everything from his desk and go up to the white board, yet he always just sat there looking bored and not wanting to be there. I still don't know how he is still a teacher since the guy never read out of the book to us or did notes. It was always packets or us reading out loud.

Do you think all teachers should be outgoing and making the classroom a cool place to come to and learn or no? I'm sure all of us has had that one badass teacher where you never missed a day and actually learned because of how they taught.

Message 1 of 18 (1,868 Views)
MVP Support
14472 posts

Re: Were your teachers lazy?

May 13, 2013

Back in my high school days and currently college, none of my teachers were actually lazy because most do actually care for me and the rest of my fellow peers' future and I think each teacher had unique methods to teach students so they can get engaged and learn, making it fun and beneficial.

I got to commend and support this young man 100% on this one because I see he's one of the few students to care about his education and future, and the way he stood up to his teacher was pretty awesome, mature, and assertive without the profanity. I can learn from this viral video that some teachers don't care about the students and are here to get a quick paycheck in their wallets.

forumsignature1.png
Playstation Telephone Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-8:00pm PST (Closed on Saturdays & Sundays)
Customer Service - 1-800-345-7669
Account and Billing Support - 1-877-971-7669
Sony Rewards - 1-888-715-7669
Message 2 of 18 (1,851 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7871 posts

May 13, 2013

Sadly, the "packet" system of teaching is something that tends to happen with at least a couple of teachers in each school. I've had a few like that. But then I've also had some teachers that have been absolutely amazing.

My worst teacher was high school Trigonometry. Her method of teaching was to walk up to the chalk board and write out the equations to all of the odd numbered questions in the chapter. No explanation as to what she was doing, how the equations worked, or what their purpose was. We were expected to copy her work and somehow know from that how to reproduce the work on the tests.

I later went on to take Physics in high school. Best class I ever took at that school. Loved every minuet of it. Also learned more Trig and Calculus in a week of that class then I did in an entire semester of Trig. I also took Trig and Calc in college, also loved those classes. The professors actually explained what was going on and how it worked, so I was actually able to learn what I was doing, not just memorize a bunch of numbers.

It really is sad that stories like this make such big news, because it takes a minority of teacher and brings them into the spotlight so that a lot of people think that all teachers are like that. But in reality there are a lot of really good teachers out there that are getting a bad rep just because of few individuals are ruining it for everyone else.

I had a number of really good classes in high school. The best of which, as mentioned above, was Physics. The teacher was amazing. Engaged the students, almost never handed out a packet, rarely just read from the text book, had all kinds of fun experiments to demonstrate the information that we were learning, and often took a little time out of the class to just chat or tell stories.

Now, for those of you who are still in high school, let me just give you a little heads up. It gets a lot better. I have experienced so many awesome classes and teachers in college. You'll probably see a number of boring classes your freshman year since most of that will be low level general ed classes that no one wants to teach. But once you get past that stage into the higher level classes it gets so much better. A lot of the professors love to teach the content. Once you get to a certain level you're going to find classes that are taught by people who make that subject their passion, so they really get into the classes and will get even more into it when students start engaging them back to learn more. Don't get me wrong. College does have its bag eggs just like high school. But the numbers are much less, so the classes tend to be a lot more fun.

Message 3 of 18 (1,845 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7871 posts

May 13, 2013

younginflavor18 wrote:

Back in my high school days and currently college, none of my teachers were actually lazy because most do actually care for me and the rest of my fellow peers' future and I think each teacher had unique methods to teach students so they can get engaged and learn, making it fun and beneficial.

I got to commend and support this young man 100% on this one because I see he's one of the few students to care about his education and future, and the way he stood up to his teacher was pretty awesome, mature, and assertive without the profanity. I can learn from this viral video that some teachers don't care about the students and are here to get a quick paycheck in their wallets.

I seriously doubt that anyone is teaching just to get a quick paycheck.

Most of the time when this kind of thing happens it is because someone goes into teaching thinking that they're going to help and that bringing education to the younger generations is a great thing to do, but then after getting into the job they quickly become aggravated with the job and loose all interest.

The problem is that education requires a great deal of time. Most high school teachers arrive at the school around 7:00 - 7:15 am. Then, unlike the students they don't leave until 4:00 - 5:30 PM, depending on what needs to be done, and even then they often times take work home with them and continue to work later in the evening or on the weekends.

This is only made worse if the school has a bad administration. If the administration is like the one from my old high school then they'll spend a few hours each week yelling at the teachers and trying to micromanage what the teachers do and how they do it, even if the methods that the administration wants the teachers to use don't actually work for the subject and/or grade level that the teacher is actually teaching.

And they do all this are a surprisingly low paycheck.

Message 4 of 18 (1,840 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
56744 posts

May 13, 2013

bookepride wrote:

I came across the original video a few days ago, and then saw the news station one on YouTube. If you haven't watched it yet click that play button!

Watched it? I must say I support him 100%! The way he acted the way out was just perfect. But to the question, how many of you here had teachers in high school or even in college where they should of never been a teacher in the first place?

In all of my years of school the worst teacher I ever had was in high school - my sophomore year. He always sat in his chair in front of his computer. Never ever got up for anything unless to leave the classroom. Made us get everything from his desk and go up to the white board, yet he always just sat there looking bored and not wanting to be there. I still don't know how he is still a teacher since the guy never read out of the book to us or did notes. It was always packets or us reading out loud.

Do you think all teachers should be outgoing and making the classroom a cool place to come to and learn or no? I'm sure all of us has had that one badass teacher where you never missed a day and actually learned because of how they taught.

This is what happens when public sector unions protect bad teachers.  Its also why people get so upset at the teachers unions, overall the unions are good to have but then they go and protect HORRIBLE teachers. 

Message 5 of 18 (1,823 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
10409 posts

[ Edited ]
May 13, 2013

Luckily there aren't teachers like that in my school, or any school I've been to for that matter. I'd not like to brag about my country so I'll just shut up. Smiley Happy

id 69 signature

"How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."

Message 6 of 18 (1,813 Views)
Last Guardian
11298 posts

May 13, 2013
All my teachers were okay, they did their work pretty well. If they didn't they'd get fired, the school listened to the students.
Message 7 of 18 (1,537 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
39772 posts

May 13, 2013

If a student wants to learn something they will learn something cant be blaming teachers

Message 8 of 18 (1,276 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1605 posts

May 13, 2013

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

If a student wants to learn something they will learn something cant be blaming teachers

teachers can be blamed if they are incompetent

Message 9 of 18 (822 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
10409 posts

May 13, 2013

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

That ain't true. Not everyone learns just by reading books. Let's take advanced maths as an example. The books usually explain all the formulas used, but teachers explain everything in more detal and understandable way and help those who are struggling with mathematical tasks. Unless you're an exceptional kid, you aren't gonna learn a crap about maths without a decent teacher. 

id 69 signature

"How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."

Message 10 of 18 (456 Views)
0 Likes