MVP Support
40067 posts

Re: Welcome back, forums!

Aug 6, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

KANE-FIRE wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:
*sniffs the air* I smell a formerly corrupt database.

I played Mortal Kombat with a local friend, and then moved on ti Battlefield 3. Smiley Happy

lol you are poster of the week for the second time talk about being lucky

True, but now I am wearing a crown of lies.  Smiley Sad

Yea, you were PoTW last week weren't you GJ?

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 41 of 103 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Aug 6, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

KANE-FIRE wrote:

BRIT-KO

Correct.  As of just before the crash, I had already lost that rank, so, this is most irregular.  Also just verified that my post count is NOT intact, nor are any pictures that I have posted in the last two days.  I really hope that they recover the database.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 42 of 103 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15343 posts

Aug 6, 2013

I went back to NationStates. So no change.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 43 of 103 (137 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1020 posts

Aug 6, 2013

Woohoo, I was having slight withdrawals. Forced me to chat with actual people and play some online dynasty in NCAA

Message 44 of 103 (134 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
40067 posts

Aug 6, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

KANE-FIRE wrote:

BRIT-KO

Correct.  As of just before the crash, I had already lost that rank, so, this is most irregular.  Also just verified that my post count is NOT intact, nor are any pictures that I have posted in the last two days.  I really hope that they recover the database.

Some of the MVP's are a little 'annoyed' too GJ, some of us, me included have lost posts/pictures etc, Kudos I could care less about but the other stuff is annoying.

I've made a Thread in the Private MVP Forum asking the Managers about this, I await a response.

BRIT-KO

Message 45 of 103 (129 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Aug 6, 2013

Um, what did the maintenence do to fix? 

Message 46 of 103 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Aug 6, 2013

ossiecastro5 wrote:

I want to make it clear that what I am about to say is pure speculation, based on the available facts:

I manage several websites, many of which include forums like this.  The available evidence seems to suggest that the database that holds the information abot posts, pictures, kudos, etc., became corrupt.  It's unlikely that this was any sort of attack - databases as big as the one governing this forum(s) can corrupt in rare circumstances due to too much information being written to adjacent tables at the exact same time.  Most likely, the fix applied here was in the form of a backup copy of the database.

I can tell you from personal/professional experience, if there is a way to recover the data we have lost, the server admins are trying to figure it out, but, it is in the realm of possibilities that it is lost.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 47 of 103 (115 Views)
MVP Support
40067 posts

Aug 6, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

ossiecastro5 wrote:

I want to make it clear that what I am about to say is pure speculation, based on the available facts:

I manage several websites, many of which include forums like this.  The available evidence seems to suggest that the database that holds the information abot posts, pictures, kudos, etc., became corrupt.  It's unlikely that this was any sort of attack - databases as big as the one governing this forum(s) can corrupt in rare circumstances due to too much information being written to adjacent tables at the exact same time.  Most likely, the fix applied here was in the form of a backup copy of the database.

I can tell you from personal/professional experience, if there is a way to recover the data we have lost, the server admins are trying to figure it out, but, it is in the realm of possibilities that it is lost.

I kind of remembered you manage/admin some other Forums/websites, so thanks for the information, I won't take it to the MVP Thread I created because it is just speculation, but thanks GJ & as soon as I get a response I'll come back here anyway/.

BRIT-KO

Message 48 of 103 (111 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1491 posts

Aug 6, 2013
I'm sorry it was me its because I was writing a post yesterday its all my fault I can't believe I did this to you guys oh no its all ending for me I can see the bright light goodbye cruel world uhhhsssss......X(
Message 49 of 103 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2374 posts

Aug 6, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

Yup that's my guess too seeing as it went down for much longer time than the usual scheduled downtime. Usually most downtimes lead to improvements or fixes that have little to no impact on post counts. The maximum I've seen lost is 10 minutes worth of posts if any were to be lost at all.

Anyways, to answer the OP question, I decided to watch some movies as I wasn't able to browse through the forums.

Message 50 of 103 (96 Views)
0 Likes