Reply
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/23/2013
Offline
2971 posts
 

Re: We should be able to play ps3 games on the upcoming ps4, and cross play with the vita.

Oct 8, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:
I'm just curious to know how much extra it would have cost them just to include the architecture. Considering that you can get a PS3 for $200 now days, it certainly couldn't have cost them much. And it certainly could have made a lot of money considering all the PS3 digital games and content they are pretty much going to abandon. Or could it just be that backwards compatibility would have been counter productive with their Gaikai plan.

Yeah, that wouldn't be possible. They are two completely different systems.

 photo Steak_zps70cec71c.jpg
Message 21 of 28 (121 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 01/05/2006
Offline
10192 posts
 

Re: We should be able to play ps3 games on the upcoming ps4, and cross play with the vita.

Oct 9, 2013
@Grindhead_Jim. What I mean is the cost shouldn't be an issue to Sony. Not talking about the gamer. I'm assuming the cost to add the chips would be rather small. Its certainly money that could be made back up through digital marketplace sales. There is certainly millions to be made off of backwards compatability.
Message 22 of 28 (112 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 01/05/2006
Offline
10192 posts
 

Re: We should be able to play ps3 games on the upcoming ps4, and cross play with the vita.

Oct 9, 2013
@Solid---Steak. Yet the PS2 and PS3 were different systems as well. It still didn't stop them from putting the PS2 chips in the early PS3's.
Message 23 of 28 (108 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 05/24/2009
Offline
18676 posts
 

Re: We should be able to play ps3 games on the upcoming ps4, and cross play with the vita.

Oct 9, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:
@Grindhead_Jim. What I mean is the cost shouldn't be an issue to Sony. Not talking about the gamer. I'm assuming the cost to add the chips would be rather small. Its certainly money that could be made back up through digital marketplace sales. There is certainly millions to be made off of backwards compatability.

I don't think so... They already sell the console at a loss, and the money they would be making and putting towards other things, would instead be funneled into letting people be able to play old games on the new system. Games made for a system that is still in production and still having games made for it.

RE-THINK SALAD


Message 24 of 28 (104 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
10911 posts
 

Re: We should be able to play ps3 games on the upcoming ps4, and cross play with the vita.

Oct 9, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:
@Solid---Steak. Yet the PS2 and PS3 were different systems as well. It still didn't stop them from putting the PS2 chips in the early PS3's.

The PS2 hardware also did not run at +95C as the PS3's Cell processor does, and considering the Jaguar's critical temp is right around the +95-100C neighborhood, you would have serious overheating issues with a backward compatible PS4.

 

Keep your PS3 for your PS3 games.  Gaikai will not have every previous Playstation game available at launch.

Message 25 of 28 (97 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 01/05/2006
Offline
10192 posts
 

Re: We should be able to play ps3 games on the upcoming ps4, and cross play with the vita.

Oct 9, 2013
I still think there could certainly be some way of doing it if they really wanted to. For one, I'm certainly concerned about the health of my PS3 Phat since it is getting old. For two, the thing sounds like a jet engine. For three, there is nothing worse than an entertainment center cluttered with extra consoles, Ethernet switches, HDMI splitters as well as optical splitters and extra wires to run my Astro Mixamp. To me its just one big hassle. The real question here is, can it really not be done or is Gaikai the reason they are not doing it.
Message 26 of 28 (89 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 05/24/2009
Offline
18676 posts
 

Re: We should be able to play ps3 games on the upcoming ps4, and cross play with the vita.

Oct 9, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:
I still think there could certainly be some way of doing it if they really wanted to. For one, I'm certainly concerned about the health of my PS3 Phat since it is getting old. For two, the thing sounds like a jet engine. For three, there is nothing worse than an entertainment center cluttered with extra consoles, Ethernet switches, HDMI splitters as well as optical splitters and extra wires to run my Astro Mixamp. To me its just one big hassle. The real question here is, can it really not be done or is Gaikai the reason they are not doing it.

gaikai.

RE-THINK SALAD


Message 27 of 28 (82 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
10911 posts
 

Re: We should be able to play ps3 games on the upcoming ps4, and cross play with the vita.

Oct 9, 2013

It can't be done, at least, not realistically.  The only way to do it would be to make the case large enough so that there would be enough separation between the processor sets so that heat is not an issue (the PS4 would be the size of a mini-fridge and cost about $600), or to liquid cool the PS3 side of things as to not bleed heat over to the PS4 side of things (which would cost about $750-800).

 

Keep your PS3 for PS3 games.  It really is the only way.

Message 28 of 28 (80 Views)
Reply
0 Likes