Welcoming Committee
36027 posts

Re: We have an important decision to make here...

Sep 6, 2013

Hey mmm, long time no see.

I don't care what shape and size the lights are.  As a driver, I want to see my surroundings at night like I was in a football stadium.  I want to see everything and I want to see it perfectly.  I don't want any of it glaring right into my eyeball, and I want some way that as soon as I drive off the main road into a more dimly lit area, it won't take me 15 minutes for my eyes to adjust.  That would only make me crash 200 feet off the interstate.

As a taxpayer, I want the system to be cheap and efficient.  LED's are super efficient, but they aren't cheap.  Not yet.  I am quite fond of the LED flashlights.  Over time, we will start reaping the benefits of Economy of Scale.  I want LED's to be cheaper than incandescant.  Another benefit of the LED's are that they run cool.  Especially in the South, in the Summer, inside the house, it's important to have cool lighting.

Efficiency for the sake of efficiency is a good thing.  Driving down the price of LED lighting units is a good thing.  Safety is also good.

Of course we soon won't need all these lights when we all start driving Google-controlled cars.  You enter the car, punch in some GPS coordinates, and go to sleep.  The car will wake you when you get there.  I'm sure there will be sensors in the road, or a nifty on-board GPS navigational system that will make the expensive street lights unnecessary.

Message 11 of 14 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10634 posts

Sep 6, 2013

DrGadget wrote:

Hey mmm, long time no see.

I don't care what shape and size the lights are.  As a driver, I want to see my surroundings at night like I was in a football stadium.  I want to see everything and I want to see it perfectly.  I don't want any of it glaring right into my eyeball, and I want some way that as soon as I drive off the main road into a more dimly lit area, it won't take me 15 minutes for my eyes to adjust.  That would only make me crash 200 feet off the interstate.

As a taxpayer, I want the system to be cheap and efficient.  LED's are super efficient, but they aren't cheap.  Not yet.  I am quite fond of the LED flashlights.  Over time, we will start reaping the benefits of Economy of Scale.  I want LED's to be cheaper than incandescant.  Another benefit of the LED's are that they run cool.  Especially in the South, in the Summer, inside the house, it's important to have cool lighting.

Efficiency for the sake of efficiency is a good thing.  Driving down the price of LED lighting units is a good thing.  Safety is also good.

Of course we soon won't need all these lights when we all start driving Google-controlled cars.  You enter the car, punch in some GPS coordinates, and go to sleep.  The car will wake you when you get there.  I'm sure there will be sensors in the road, or a nifty on-board GPS navigational system that will make the expensive street lights unnecessary.

Even self-driving cars need optical recognition to some degree.  Plus street lights are a safety device too.  The savings in electricity aren't the only advantages.  LED lights are dimmable, which allows more sophisticated controls, which could save more money over any other method in use today... but not only that, LED's last a good long while.  While a city full of thousands of street lights might have to have people every night replacing lights, and never get "caught up", a system with LED lights would last an estimate of 9x longer, which means they could use valuable employee/contractor money for other items as well.

Due to LED's sizing, it is incredibly easy to make road lighting that lights uniformly, without producing such annoying bulb glare.  LED's can be made incredibly directional if that is the desire, giving the designer incredibly precise control over the areas being lit.  Where the cobraheads without cutoff optics spew overshoot light into homes, people's eyes, and waste it into the horizon, newer lamp styles, combined with LED reflector structuring can put exactly the amount of light where you want it, and fall-off quickly to avoid spilling into areas that don't need it.

This is where parking lots and building lighting come into play.  I can't tell you how many buildings seem to use those generic box lights with a square shape protruding from the building, the top half are electronics, the bottom half is the light.  If lit responsibly, buildings could be much more efficient while limiting overshoot and light pollution as well.

My main reason for this thread (yes, there are always reasons with me) is to gauge the waters for Motor City. (Old timers will know)

Consider you're one of the newcomers to the city, and everything is getting built here from scratch.  There's a vast majority of items to think about while constructing the city, and drafting out its master plan (a very strict, well thought-out master plan)...

This would be one of the first few issues I'd tackle if I were in charge of the city.

Hoping to get ideas of people's favorite light designs, in combination with trying to hone those ideas to practical design and cost logic

Message 12 of 14 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11295 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 6, 2013

multimediaman wrote:

Below is an example of LED lighting at night.

LED Lighting

My town doesn't have those. :/

Message 13 of 14 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
54495 posts

Sep 6, 2013

I dont like the light from LED lights that much,  I still prefer my incandescent bulbs...but for streetlights, why not!

Message 14 of 14 (52 Views)
0 Likes