Highlighted
Jul 13 2013
By: Gojet-64 Gaming Beast 2197 posts

Want to use Windows 7 OEM on new computer

7 replies 70 views Edited Jul 13, 2013

Okay, so I wanted to build a new computer (My current PC is getting old). However, I wanted to keep all my stuff saved on my hard drive.

I was hoping to use a very simple plan: Build a new PC without a hard drive, and just plop the old hard drive into the new computer.

However, after doing my research, I learned this wouldn't be so simple. My Windows 7 is an OEM version. That means, it is locked to the make and model of motherboard in my current PC.

I did read that a full-retail version of Windows 7 does not have this restriction. And by buying a full-retail version, you can simply change the product key on your current OEM version of Windows, and that will convert it from OEM to retail, allowing for motherboard changes.

However, full retail versions are unbelievably expensive (Home Premium is over $200, Professional nearer to $300). But interestingly, (or maybe to complicate matters further) my computer is a dual-boot, with both Windows 7 and 8. My Windows 8 version (since it was an upgrade from a second install of Windows 7) is not locked to the motherboard.

This made me think: Can, by upgrading my version of Windows 7 (From Home Premium to Professional for $90, for example) could that convert it into a retail license, allowing me to easily move my hard drive and OS to a new computer?

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 1 of 8 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2599 posts

Re: Want to use Windows 7 OEM on new computer

Jul 13, 2013
It would not work anyways. Windows never allows this. OEM or No, windows 7 WILL become unbearable unstable if you tried this.

I know this from experience.
You will be required to entirely reinstall windows from the ground up.
Message 2 of 8 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

Jul 13, 2013

Make a basic Partition (NTFS) to hold all your Data, Photos, Music, files of whatever type you have. If you have install files for downloaded programs, keep those on this drive too. You can easily install this way.

I like to keep my main data separate from my OS. It makes things like this much easier to deal with.

You will have to re-install Windows 7 and all of your programs. Win 8 too. If you keep all the data separate it is much easier.

You can gain space on one disk by shrinking a drive in Computer Management until you have enough free space to make a new partition to hold your data.

Clean Install your OS's for dual booting, leave your data partition alone. When you boot to an OS learn how to make your files associated with your "special folders" if you don't know how to do that.

Message 3 of 8 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 13, 2013

So basically, new motherboard = need to reinstall OS.

I'm also going to have to buy a retail version of Windows 7, in order to use it on another system.

Since my license of Windows 8 is an upgrade version, can I still use the product key to reinstall it, without having to buy a new license?

EDIT: Actually, what about Windows Easy Transfer? I'm not sure if that would work correctly with a dual-boot.

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 4 of 8 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

Jul 13, 2013

You may or maynot have an issue with Win 8

I had to change my motherboard out when I built a new computer with Win 8 installed new. I wasn't able to get SLI working and I was able to verify that I had to swap for a new one. It was magical. Awesome how it worked immediatley on booting into Win 8. But ... watermark was on the desktop.

I had to call a toll free number and talk to a machine, reading back numbers ... to validate my install.

You are dual booting, so you have to do more research about how to swap out a drive into a new machine. It would work best to re-install clean both OS's if you can, but if you can't, do more research online about how to overcome the challenges you have.

Message 5 of 8 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7157 posts

Jul 13, 2013
(I wouldn't understand why anyone would pay for W7. Or why anyone wouldn't get paid to use W8.)

Why not do a full backup of your current HDD and restore it onto your custom build?
Message 6 of 8 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8191 posts

Jul 13, 2013
Use Linux
FiveFourteen
Ask FiveFourteen,Twitter,Google+
"I am passionate, vigilant, motivated, and I am proud to be a part of the PlayStation Community."
Message 7 of 8 (44 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

Jul 13, 2013

FiveFourteen wrote:
Use Linux

Only for a triplicate boot.

Message 8 of 8 (41 Views)
0 Likes