Oct 12 2013
By: bakacoconut69 Hekseville Citizen 324 posts

Virtual death anxiety and other related emotions

11 replies 143 views Edited Oct 12, 2013

I'm not very creative when it comes to topics. I just wanted to see if I'm alone in this.

When I'm playing a game I'm really engaged in (Skyrim, for example), I get really anxious as I get into a fight/battle/whatever. Like, I'll get attacked by a wild animal and my breath will catch in my throat. After that, I start feeling excited and exhilerated, all pumped up with adrenaline going... just like I would if I were really in such a scenario, I assume. If I am successful and vanquishing my foe, I feel an immense sense of satisfaction and relief. If I die... well... I actually have a panic attack and it takes me anywhere from ten minutes to half an hour to calm down enough to continue gaming, IF I feel up to going on with the game at that point.

Does anyone else experience anything similar? I feel like such a weirdo thinking about this.

Message 1 of 12 (143 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6980 posts

Re: Virtual death anxiety and other related emotions

Oct 12, 2013

Only when I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, those shade guys from Uncharted 3 at the end of the game are controller smash worthy.

JayJay 2515 signature

2 time Face of The WWE Champion
Message 2 of 12 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
666 posts

Oct 12, 2013
If I'm near dead and almost have the enemy dead as well that I have been trying to beat for a long time then sh*t starts to get real
Message 3 of 12 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
5453 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 12, 2013

I only ever get like that when I'm playing zombie games. I absolutely hate zombies, with a passion. They terrify me, even in a game.

Hence why I never even played TLOU or Dead Island.

x__Vee__x's Streambadge

Message 4 of 12 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
324 posts

Oct 12, 2013

Legendary_Vicki wrote:

I only ever get like that when I'm playing zombie games. I absolutely hate zombies, with a passion. They terrify me, even in a game.

Zombies legitimately terrify me. I can't watch zombie movies or play games that have a huge focus on them (except Plants vs. Zombies because it's just ridiculously cute). Even BioShock pushes it for me because the Splicers (that's what they're called, right?) remind me of zombies. I didn't buy that game, though... it was given to me. I can't bring myself to play it except for during the daytime.

I also suffer from psychological abnormalities, so I suppose that could be the main cause of my anxiety playing these kinds of games.

Message 5 of 12 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
5453 posts

Oct 12, 2013

bakacoconut69 wrote:

Legendary_Vicki wrote:

Zombies legitimately terrify me. I can't watch zombie movies or play games that have a huge focus on them (except Plants vs. Zombies because it's just ridiculously cute). Even BioShock pushes it for me because the Splicers (that's what they're called, right?) remind me of zombies. I didn't buy that game, though... it was given to me. I can't bring myself to play it except for during the daytime.

I also suffer from psychological abnormalities, so I suppose that could be the main cause of my anxiety playing these kinds of games.

I know what you mean, I'm the same lol. The difference with me though is I actually really want to play these games but can never bring myself to do it. I'm fine watching other people play zombie games and I don't mind watching movies about them, but when it comes to me playing them.... not gonna' happen.

I'm more of a racing game kind of person, I absolutely love Need For Speed. I get overly excited sometimes when playing them, I'm very competitive. Same with fighting games, and GTA. Total opposite end of the scale to zombies.

x__Vee__x's Streambadge

Message 6 of 12 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
324 posts

Oct 12, 2013

Legendary_Vicki wrote:

bakacoconut69 wrote:

Legendary_Vicki wrote:

I know what you mean, I'm the same lol. The difference with me though is I actually really want to play these games but can never bring myself to do it. I'm fine watching other people play zombie games and I don't mind watching movies about them, but when it comes to me playing them.... not gonna' happen.

I'm more of a racing game kind of person, I absolutely love Need For Speed. I get overly excited sometimes when playing them, I'm very competitive. Same with fighting games, and GTA. Total opposite end of the scale to zombies.

Oh, but I do WANT to watch those movies and play those games... there's a part of me that loves the thrill of being afraid of a pending zombie apocalypse. It's just the last time I watched a zombie movie (28 Days Later), I ended up convinced that we were under attack by zombies and was committed to the psychiatric unit for a week. I can get away with it now with only mild paranoia... but my therapists and doctors recommend I stay away from that kind of stuff. BUT IT'S JUST SO AWESOME.

My main love is RPGs, though, especially ones like the Elder Scrolls series and Fable where the world is kind of open-ended. Elder Scrolls has scary things though... so I have to limit myself.

Message 7 of 12 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Oct 12, 2013
Yes, FF13/13-2 and Castlevania: Lords of Shadows.

I fell in love with the characters, and every battle i was thinking what was going to happen. Every cutscene i'd get goose bumps. My experience with these game were amazing. Haters gonna hate.
Message 8 of 12 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3578 posts

Oct 12, 2013

Happens to me in TLOU. In single-player I always try to sneak around and I always get the "feels" when there are clickers, runners, and bloaters. The only other game I can think of that causes this is Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I don't like dying in that game and I find some of the bosses to be hard.

Kudos for a good thread! Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 12 (97 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Oct 12, 2013
Videogames have the power of making us feel part of the action like no movie can, so when we are dying on a video, we are actually looking for own survival in some level.
But seeing as how deeply you get immersed in videogames I have to agreed that you should stay away from that kind of games. Thrills are cool when they are short lived, nobody wants to be afraid for a whole hour without rest, we need that moment of relief that comes after the scare.
Message 10 of 12 (92 Views)
0 Likes