May 10 2013
By: Setzaroth Limit Breaker 18676 posts

Video-game censorship

37 replies 150 views Edited May 10, 2013

Obviously im against it. I think it ranks pretty much synonymous with freedom of speech, and it doesnt offend people because they are free purchase it or not. But I came accross this article, which I dont think I need to post, it was relatively short. It was about the new Fire emblem DLC being censored for western markets. Now, its common knowledge that europe is much less prudish than America. We get offended by naughty parts, while the european releases of games frequently come under fire for violence, its essentially flip-flopped culturally. 

so, heres the image, what do you guys think?

cencorshipgaming.png

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 1 of 38 (150 Views)
VP of Gaming
37223 posts

Re: Video-game censorship

May 10, 2013

First!

Anyway... i think censorship is bad

Message 2 of 38 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9691 posts

May 10, 2013
We must protect the children from cartoon butts.
Message 3 of 38 (145 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9077 posts

May 10, 2013

I saw that on IGN a few days ago the towel makes the image look more perverted in my opinion as for the censorship well im against it if the game is targeted for mature people well why censorship something when its being sold to a mature audience

KANE-FIRE

Message 4 of 38 (137 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

May 10, 2013

Dr_McNoob wrote:
We must protect the children from cartoon butts.

lol, and sparkles..notice the original has sparkles that highlight her. 

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 5 of 38 (133 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39975 posts

May 10, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

Obviously im against it. I think it ranks pretty much synonymous with freedom of speech, and it doesnt offend people because they are free purchase it or not. But I came accross this article, which I dont think I need to post, it was relatively short. It was about the new Fire emblem DLC being censored for western markets. Now, its common knowledge that europe is much less prudish than America. We get offended by naughty parts, while the european releases of games frequently come under fire for violence, its essentially flip-flopped culturally. 

so, heres the image, what do you guys think?

cencorshipgaming.png

To be honest I find the second picture (the photo-shopped one) to be more provocative & appealing than the original one, covering up her butt like they have will make it so the person looking at it (men generally) think more about what is behind it, & it doesn't matter if they are looking at a butt be it a picture of a real girl, a game cover or whatever.

I'm going to throw in that I am generally for game censorship as in game ratings, a game rated 'M' for Mature is rated that way for a reason, a game rated 'T' for Teen is again rated differently for those same reasons.

As for the differences between Europe & America, you are sopt on Setz, I really don't see America's issue with some of the stuff they censor both in games & in other media like TV, movies & songs etc, when i first came here many years ago it made me laugh, geezz you should see some of things I used to watch on TV in the UK before I moved here, I'm used to it now of course, but it still makes me chuckle to myself sometimes when I see a naked butt blurred out or some word bleeped!

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 6 of 38 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4501 posts

May 10, 2013

The day Rockstar games has to put censorship into their games, is the day we all panic.

YB

Message 7 of 38 (112 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
37223 posts

May 10, 2013

What about THIS?!

AWESOME

Message 8 of 38 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

May 10, 2013

They already have. You are familiar with the hot coffee debocle arent you?

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 9 of 38 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

May 10, 2013

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

What about THIS?!

AWESOME

The axis of entertainment (Nin. SONY, MS) has agreed to not let games of that rating be released for their systems. Its basically a death note for a game to get that rating.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 10 of 38 (104 Views)
0 Likes