Feb 01 2010
By: Sir-Climhazzard Treasure Hunter 7231 posts

Video Games, Violence and Children.

26 replies 305 views Edited Feb 1, 2010

Hello all,

This semester at my college I am doing a senior thesis statement in my critical thinking class and my topic is: Do videogames cause increased violence in children?

I have to give a speech on this topic and I have to take the position that No they do not cause violence in children.

It doesn't matter whether or not I agree with that position, for the purpose of the speech I have to take that position and try to defend it with legitimate statements and evidence. I should ideally have three distinct, strong points that defend the position that no they do not cause violence in children. I need to support my three claims with concrete evidence by using case studies, or relating the topic to other forms of media like books and television. Bringing in the points that the opposition might make (people who believe video games do cause violence in children) is encouraged because then I can state their beliefs and argue why they are "incorrect" or "misled".

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the topic, arguments from both sides would be great! After all, if I'm only seeing half of the story here, then I'm not really seeing the full picture, am I? Any points, ideas, links, articles that you have related to this topic would be most appreciated.

Please keep the disccussion appropriate and tactful as I know this is one of those topics that could blow up into something inappropriate.

Thank you! 

Message 1 of 27 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5432 posts

Re: Video Games, Violence and Children.

Feb 1, 2010

Any game with any sort of "violence" that is worth considering violence is rated M for Mature. A good and well known example would be the Grand Theft Auto Series. Yet many people claim this game alone causes children to do violent acts.

The real cause isnt the violence in the game, its the parents buying their 11 year old this game having no clue what its about, even though they can clearly read the ratings on the back of the box.

On the other hand, if someone is stupid enough to think that they can get away things in real life that they can in video games... then they have mental issues and need to seek help.

I was taught at a very young age what is right and what is wrong in this world... if a child doesnt learn this, then its again the parents fault. Others may argue that some children are not fortunate enough to have parents, or lose their parents for any reason... well then again its not the video games fault. Its societies fault for not providing that child with the proper information and education that they need to grow up to be a decent human being.

Hope some of this helps!

Photobucket
Message 2 of 27 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9755 posts

Feb 1, 2010

Freiss wrote:

Any game with any sort of "violence" that is worth considering violence is rated M for Mature. A good and well known example would be the Grand Theft Auto Series. Yet many people claim this game alone causes children to do violent acts.

The real cause isnt the violence in the game, its the parents buying their 11 year old this game having no clue what its about, even though they can clearly read the ratings on the back of the box.

On the other hand, if someone is stupid enough to think that they can get away things in real life that they can in video games... then they have mental issues and need to seek help.

I was taught at a very young age what is right and what is wrong in this world... if a child doesnt learn this, then its again the parents fault. Others may argue that some children are not fortunate enough to have parents, or lose their parents for any reason... well then again its not the video games fault. Its societies fault for not providing that child with the proper information and education that they need to grow up to be a decent human being.

Hope some of this helps!

This.
I couldn't have said it any better myself.  

Message 3 of 27 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7231 posts

Feb 1, 2010

Some good points!

So, what would you say the main arguments of someone who has the exact opposite opinion of you be? What legitimate points would someone who is anti-video games make in a debate? It's important to know these points as well so that we can refute them.

Message 4 of 27 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1446 posts

Feb 1, 2010

I believe that if people would obey the ESRB ratings and not play games the ESRB deems them too young to play then there would not be violence in children. Unfortunately I don't think this will be of much help to your position.

Edit: If I think of anything else it will go here.

Message Edited by krcm0209 on 02-01-2010 10:35 AM
Every time I find the key to success, someone changes the lock.

Report PSN chain-messengers here!

Message 5 of 27 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8695 posts

Feb 1, 2010
I think you should try to find some comments about games before the ESRB existed, and how video games were distributed to certain demographics back then.  Maybe could be the intro to your speech, a little history of videogames before the rating system.

~Fighting the Good Fight~
Message 6 of 27 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3919 posts

Feb 1, 2010

JSiggy wrote:
I think you should try to find some comments about games before the ESRB existed, and how video games were distributed to certain demographics back then.  Maybe could be the intro to your speech, a little history of videogames before the rating system.

Also research the kids that get blown up in the media because they copied a game in RL. I bet alot of them had mental issues having nothing to do with the game itself.

sniper4ever76
Message 7 of 27 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7231 posts

Feb 1, 2010

JSiggy wrote:

Great idea, I will definitely take that into consideration as that would make a good introduction to get everyone on the same page about video games and their history.

Message 8 of 27 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9755 posts

Feb 1, 2010

Sir-Climhazzard wrote:

JSiggy wrote:

Great idea, I will definitely take that into consideration as that would make a good introduction to get everyone on the same page about video games and their history.

That's going to be quite a task, considering they had ESRB way back on PS1. Even then if you're going to go back even further Atari Super Nintendo etc. they really had no 'violent' intense bloody games like today. Oh course they had shooting games and such, but they weren't near as.. realistic, nor did they really contain really bloody, heavy language, and sexual content.

Message 9 of 27 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Feb 1, 2010

Do videogames cause increased violence in children?

Short answer: No, anymore than romance novels cause swooning in young girls.

However, its a responsible parent(s) duty to inform their children the difference between make believe

and reality.

The ratings system is pretty much a farce. Its existence (supposedly) is to warn parents of potential risks in a game. Based on an arbitrary boards opinions.

Why is Gears of War violent and not Mario Bros. Mario jumps on the heads of turtles and then proceeds to kick them of a cliff to thier deaths.

Keep the governemnt out raising my children. Thats my job.

My kids know the difference and a game is not a baby sitter.

I'm off to blow away some pixels...ciao.

You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
-Duncan Idaho
Message 10 of 27 (305 Views)
0 Likes