Fender Bender
4280 posts

Re: Verizon's new FIOS?

Mar 27, 2007

aznsniper911 wrote:

angel_of_death_39 wrote:
I heard that in a power outage FiOs users get 8 more hours of energy or something.

Never heard of that but maybe it's possible? Don't think so but hey it's 2007.

Yeah, we live with Bush and with him a blackout is imminent.
Message 11 of 15 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1850 posts

Mar 27, 2007
I heard the the fiber optic verizon has been putting in is cheap fiber optic compared to what they have in foreign countries. So while it's still fast fiber optic, it's not the best quality. Fiber optic is basically little glass that light is sent through as data. It's supposed to be really ...really fast. Fiber optic is used in that wire you used to hook up your PS2 to your receiver to give it surround sound (the cable that went to the optical out on the PS2/PS3 is a fiber optic cable)

That's basically all I remember about fiber optic from networking class. Though I'm sure there's more on google.
~
Message 12 of 15 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
18648 posts

Mar 27, 2007

tearsofash wrote:
I heard the the fiber optic verizon has been putting in is cheap fiber optic compared to what they have in foreign countries. So while it's still fast fiber optic, it's not the best quality. Fiber optic is basically little glass that light is sent through as data. It's supposed to be really ...really fast. Fiber optic is used in that wire you used to hook up your PS2 to your receiver to give it surround sound (the cable that went to the optical out on the PS2/PS3 is a fiber optic cable)

That's basically all I remember about fiber optic from networking class. Though I'm sure there's more on google.

Theres no way they can do it. Because it was already expensive for them to do fiber optics at certain locations. Many people have doubts about them doing this and the people on the stock market had mix feeligns about it. So on average it was very uneasy for them to do this at all. They took a big risk.
Message 13 of 15 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15052 posts

Mar 27, 2007

aznsniper911 wrote:

sOnygAmEr7 wrote:
no i have no idea if its better. but wow i've neer even heard of it before, and i with you on the fact that comcasts sucks

I wasn't asking you by the way. Here is the speed and pricing. I think once they reach into my area, i'm switching for sure.

Wow they really are ripping you off. I mean it's better than Cable/DSL, but it's still expensive for the speed.
Tired of run of the mill Sega Forums? Join Sonic Blast with lots of discussion about Sega and Video Games.(Click the pics)

Message 14 of 15 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15052 posts

Mar 27, 2007

aznsniper911 wrote:

angel_of_death_39 wrote:
Fiber Optic. No damn idea what it does but the game on its site is kinda addicting.

It's a way of trasmitting data. It's supposely very fast and alot better then cable and DSL but its hard to get out to general consumer since it's expensive to set the Fiber Optic cable all around the nation for customers. Many people who have it already are very happy.

The phone companies in the 90's had a deal with the government where they'd build a Fiber Optic network around the country for tax breaks... Well they got all that money from less taxes and never did a thing and are still getting those tax breaks.

aznsniper911 wrote:

tearsofash wrote:

Theres no way they can do it. Because it was already expensive for them to do fiber optics at certain locations. Many people have doubts about them doing this and the people on the stock market had mix feeligns about it. So on average it was very uneasy for them to do this at all. They took a big risk.

LOTS of foreign countries have fiber optics. I don't see how it's risky for us to do it...

Message Edited by Tiz a cool handle on 03-26-2007 09:39 PM
Tired of run of the mill Sega Forums? Join Sonic Blast with lots of discussion about Sega and Video Games.(Click the pics)

Message 15 of 15 (4 Views)
0 Likes