Nov 27 2012
By: Admiratio Wastelander 775 posts

Using a projector

2 replies 79 views Edited Nov 27, 2012

Does anyone have experience using a projector with a PS3, including online gaming? A friend of mine is interested in purchasing a projector and a PS3, his primary use will be TV, Netflix, etc, but he wants to get a PS3 for his kids. 

The projector he is currently looking at is this one: Optoma Pro 160 S

Thank you in advance for your replies. If you need additional information, feel free to ask.

Message 1 of 3 (79 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager (Retired)
4738 posts

Re: Using a projector

Nov 27, 2012

I don't own a high end projector, but I've gamed on them quite a bit this generation.  If your buddy get s a quality projector, and has the space for it (good distance to the screen, virtually no light), then it can be a very cool experience.

• Quality of Screen
  • High contrast ratio
  • 1080p output
  • Solid brightness

Those are the key factors.  I'm not sure if the projector linked has enough contrast ratio to make gaming "pop".  And I have no idea what screen he's looking at. I really do recommend that he goes to a home theater shop (if possible) and asks them to hook up a console to the projector before he buys.  Alternatively, there are some pretty strong projector communities on the internet.  He should look into those.  I'd not be shocked to learn that there is an entire community devoted to maximizing gaming performance on a projector-based home theater.  There's probably a lot of good information for him there that he can take, or leave.

Tempest_Fire
Ex-PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Interactive Entertainment America
Message 2 of 3 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
775 posts

Re: Using a projector

Nov 27, 2012
Thank you for the reply.
Message 3 of 3 (57 Views)