Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Re: Unpopular Opinions

Jul 4, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

I'd like to hear some of those stories.

As far as the race thing.

Im not sure why black is everyone's favorite race, saying they are racist for not having any black people in power, is not only ignorant, but ill-informed. They have people from most races represented in the higher positions of the church.

Observe.

http://www.lds.org/church/leaders?lang=eng

Okay, you go with the LDS, I'll go with the press:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/opinion/sunday/racism-and-the-mormon-church.html?_r=0

http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/joannabrooks/7079/shifting_talk_on_mormon_racism_reveal...

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/09/changes_in_mormon_scriptures_to_reflect_shifting_views_partner/

You can say whatever you wish - there is recent historical evidence of discrimination in their ranks.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 51 of 378 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13633 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 4, 2013

OK, I'm just going to say something before it gets out of control...

This is not the place for a religious debate...not sure anywhere on these forums is, really, since it almost always dissolves into an insult fight...

Message 52 of 378 (184 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Jul 4, 2013

You said they don't have any Black/other races in power, I shot that down. If you are going to prove something, use the official source I say.

As far as them saying diiferent things about race, they are just people. And the things that happened in the past happened in the past, for reasons I dont really know. Everyone was racist back then in one way or another.

Did you even read all 3 of those articles? I doubt youd did.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 53 of 378 (183 Views)
Limit Breaker
21008 posts

Jul 4, 2013

vfr_800_rider wrote:

Mine:

People should have to take an aptitude test before being allowed to procreate.  Over-population would no longer be an issue.

THIS!  SO MUCH!

i agree.

Message 54 of 378 (179 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Jul 4, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

You said they don't have any Black/other races in power, I shot that down. If you are going to prove something, use the official source I say.

As far as them saying diiferent things about race, they are just people. And the things that happened in the past happened in the past, for reasons I dont really know. Everyone was racist back then in one way or another.

Did you even read all 3 of those articles? I doubt youd did.

1. That's a fair point, but, as, one of the articles I posted proved, they like to rewrite their own history (as most institutions do, not just religious ones).
  2. The "what's past is past" argument holds no water, to me (I say again, to me). Not everyone was racist "back in the day". 
  3. I did read those articles.  I really don't care if you did, or if you think I did. 
  4. There is nothing to prove here. Our views are different.  I am alright with that. 

~shakes Setzaroth's hand and walks away~

Sorry for derailing the thread.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 55 of 378 (171 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1006 posts

Jul 4, 2013

My unpopular opinions are: 

Weed is bad, should be kept far way from people without medical "conditions". 

The iphone is overrated, starbucks is overrated, instagram is overrated, frozen yogurt is overrated, ketchup is soooo overrated it makes me mad. 

E channel should be destroyed completely, Keeping up with the Kardashians is the most stupid and pointless show I've ever seen, anybody watching it because they think it is entertaining should be banned from having an opinion.

The goverment is awesome, stop dissing the only thing between you and total anarchy...

...I feel better now Smiley Very Happy

"There are no atheists in the 85th minute" - Teju Cole
Message 56 of 378 (158 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
303 posts

Jul 4, 2013

I find sex highly overrated. The only good thing that comes from them is creating a child ONLY IF you want said child.

Sex:  A moment ot pleasure, a lifetime of pain.

Wow, my signature is bright!
Message 57 of 378 (157 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1006 posts

Jul 4, 2013

ForeverFranconia wrote:

I find sex highly overrated. The only good thing that comes from them is creating a child ONLY IF you want said child.

That's like saying chocolate is overrated, in which case I would say try better chocolate...

"There are no atheists in the 85th minute" - Teju Cole
Message 58 of 378 (151 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
303 posts

Jul 4, 2013

Nes_Daze wrote:

ForeverFranconia wrote:

That's like saying chocolate is overrated, in which case I would say try better chocolate...

It's not just that. I've seen many relationships ruined and feelings hurt, just because people just couldn't keep it in their pants/keep their legs closed. All for what? A feeling that lasts only 30 seconds?

Wow, my signature is bright!
Message 59 of 378 (143 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
819 posts

Jul 4, 2013
30 seconds! your doing it wrong.
Message 60 of 378 (137 Views)