Reply
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/27/2008
Offline
7836 posts
 

Re: US unemployment rate falls in September

Oct 6, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_bias

The simple wikipedia version wasn't as informative.



Survivor of an earthquake, hurricane, and multiple tornadoes in one week. g@m
Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Utley, Pence, Price, Longo, Briere, Jags

Message 11 of 23 (89 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 01/19/2004
Offline
36435 posts
 

Re: US unemployment rate falls in September

Oct 7, 2012

TKearney9 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_bias

The simple wikipedia version wasn't as informative.

Ah, the old fallback of the losing argument, to claim that someone who disagrees with you must have a mental problem.

 

This presupposes:

a. That you are right.

b. Not only are you right but you're extremely right beyond any shadow of a doubt.

c. Not only are you so very right about everything but there's not even the remotest possibility that you're wrong about any of it.  (This may start to sound redundant when I say it but I know how much you like to hear it repeated over and over in your echo chamber)

d. Only someone with a mental condition would be blind to how amazingly right you are all the time.

 

There are a few words for this condition as well.

Arrogance

Elitism

Narcissism

Condescension

Wearing blinders

Pedantry

 

It would not surprise me in the least if you think the only reason Socialism has always failed is that it hansn't been tried in enough places.

Message 12 of 23 (74 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 01/19/2004
Offline
36435 posts
 

Re: US unemployment rate falls in September

Oct 7, 2012

TKearney9 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_bias

The simple wikipedia version wasn't as informative.

While we're on the subject...

 

From your wiki link:

Self-serving bias is the tendency to claim more responsibility for successes than failures. It may also manifest itself as a tendency for people to evaluate ambiguous information in a way beneficial to their interests.

 

What Presidential figure do we know who practices this?

 

Economy's broke - Bush's fault.

Bush's existing strategies led to the takedown of Osama bin Laden - I DID THAT!

 

So let's back up for a second and consolidate what we've learned so far.  If someone is showing signs of cognitive bias, would you say he is mentally alert and fully functional, or would you say he is unworthy of debate and should be tuned out (marginalized, ignored) so we can't hear him?

 

(I really don't expect a straight answer to this question, because either way it reduces your position to nothing)

Spoiler
a. If you tell me that he's fully functional, then it makes you look petty for bringing it up in the first place and trying to "win" the argument with nothing more than a wiki link.

b. If you tell me he should be tuned out, then why are you supporting Obama?

 

Message 13 of 23 (72 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/06/2011
Offline
4421 posts
 

Re: US unemployment rate falls in September

Oct 7, 2012

DrGadget wrote:

TKearney9 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_bias

The simple wikipedia version wasn't as informative.

While we're on the subject...

 

From your wiki link:

Self-serving bias is the tendency to claim more responsibility for successes than failures. It may also manifest itself as a tendency for people to evaluate ambiguous information in a way beneficial to their interests.

 

What Presidential figure do we know who practices this?

 

Economy's broke - Bush's fault.

Bush's existing strategies led to the takedown of Osama bin Laden - I DID THAT!

 

So let's back up for a second and consolidate what we've learned so far.  If someone is showing signs of cognitive bias, would you say he is mentally alert and fully functional, or would you say he is unworthy of debate and should be tuned out (marginalized, ignored) so we can't hear him?

 

(I really don't expect a straight answer to this question, because either way it reduces your position to nothing)

Spoiler
a. If you tell me that he's fully functional, then it makes you look petty for bringing it up in the first place and trying to "win" the argument with nothing more than a wiki link.

b. If you tell me he should be tuned out, then why are you supporting Obama?

 


That works both ways Smiley Wink

 

But good, well informed answer backed by facts.  Oh wait......

 

Moble

Message 14 of 23 (70 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/06/2011
Offline
4421 posts
 

Re: US unemployment rate falls in September

Oct 7, 2012

Let us leave the politicking to the politicians, and talk games here.  I only posted something, because I though I could have a sensible debate, backed facts and figures and a minimum of personal opinion.  I did not start the thread, I only answered it.

 

For that matter, why don't we just agree, to disagree.  Remember to Vote on November 6th, that is the most important thing. I honestly don't care who you vote for.  

 

Moble

 

 

Message 15 of 23 (68 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/27/2008
Offline
7836 posts
 

Re: US unemployment rate falls in September

Oct 7, 2012
I may be an arrogant, narcissistic, condescending, elitist, pedant, but don't say I'm wearing blinders. That term is too simple.



Survivor of an earthquake, hurricane, and multiple tornadoes in one week. g@m
Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Utley, Pence, Price, Longo, Briere, Jags

Message 16 of 23 (58 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/07/2005
Offline
8828 posts
 

Re: US unemployment rate falls in September

Oct 7, 2012
Wait...is that Dr Gadget? When did he come back?
Photobucket

Photobucket
Message 17 of 23 (52 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/11/2010
Offline
5381 posts
 

Re: US unemployment rate falls in September

Oct 7, 2012

I just recently got a job again.  Got off of benefits and making life better!  Don't let SONY, take over your life.  When it comes down to it, they really don't care about you.  And, they really don't care, if you spend $1 or a Million $.  You can still get banned and lose your account, if you break the rules.  Lets stick to gaming and not talk about politics.  All it does, is cause head aches for people.  

Message 18 of 23 (48 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 01/09/2010
Online
39396 posts
 

Re: US unemployment rate falls in September

Oct 7, 2012

rramsdell wrote:

I just recently got a job again.  Got off of benefits and making life better!  Don't let SONY, take over your life.  When it comes down to it, they really don't care about you.  And, they really don't care, if you spend $1 or a Million $.  You can still get banned and lose your account, if you break the rules.  Lets stick to gaming and not talk about politics.  All it does, is cause head aches for people.  


What?

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 19 of 23 (32 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/11/2010
Offline
5381 posts
 

Re: US unemployment rate falls in September

Oct 7, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

rramsdell wrote:

I just recently got a job again.  Got off of benefits and making life better!  Don't let SONY, take over your life.  When it comes down to it, they really don't care about you.  And, they really don't care, if you spend $1 or a Million $.  You can still get banned and lose your account, if you break the rules.  Lets stick to gaming and not talk about politics.  All it does, is cause head aches for people.  


What?


Get a JOB DUDE!  

Message 20 of 23 (24 Views)
Reply
0 Likes