Nov 06 2012
By: rouward Fender Bender 4330 posts

Too Little or Too Late?

12 replies 197 views Edited Nov 6, 2012

I'm back here after a long days of working at my hometown. Well I guess I'm little bit outdated here and now that there's the rumour of PS4 and yet I haven't got PS3. I was planning to buy one but I'm afraid that at the time of buying my PS3, all servers might have little players or it will shut down the server (which will lock my Trophies forever) like they did to PSP. And now the Anime board is no longer available, I couldn't post anime-related here. I might too late here but don't worry folks, I'm still a PS fan because I have old PS2 slim (still working!) and PSP3000, and I could buy only 2 PS3 games (GT5 and a Japanese Rythm game).

Gran Turismo Fan | Love Live Fan | PC Technician

Gran Turismo 7 Suggestions

Message 1 of 13 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Re: Too Little or Too Late?

Nov 6, 2012

I wouldn't fret too much, as rumors of the ps4 began about 1 year after ps3 released.  That said,  although Nin is releasing their "new" console this year, it's really more like them trying to get up to speed, and Xbox is still at least 2 years out from releasing their next console.  And even after that, Sony is trying to create a longer standard console life compared to the past.

So, yeah, it'll probably be at the bare minimum 2 years.  I'm just guessing but still.

Message 2 of 13 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
9589 posts

Nov 6, 2012

rouward wrote:

I'm back here after a long days of working at my hometown. Well I guess I'm little bit outdated here and now that there's the rumour of PS4 and yet I haven't got PS3. I was planning to buy one but I'm afraid that at the time of buying my PS3, all servers might have little players or it will shut down the server (which will lock my Trophies forever) like they did to PSP. And now the Anime board is no longer available, I couldn't post anime-related here. I might too late here but don't worry folks, I'm still a PS fan because I have old PS2 slim (still working!) and PSP3000, and I could buy only 2 PS3 games (GT5 and a Japanese Rythm game).

The PlayStation 3 isn't going away anytime soon. PlayStation VP of hardware marketing John Koller told GameSpot this week that Sony will continue to support the aging console until at least 2015, and possibly longer, provided the development scene continues to exist.

So you have at least 2 more years to get a PS3..........But the clock is ticking.

dressing-room-for-grasshopper.jpg

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 3 of 13 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Nov 6, 2012

Buy it already! Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 13 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4330 posts

Nov 7, 2012

GreenWolfKnight wrote:

I wouldn't fret too much, as rumors of the ps4 began about 1 year after ps3 released.  That said,  although Nin is releasing their "new" console this year, it's really more like them trying to get up to speed, and Xbox is still at least 2 years out from releasing their next console.  And even after that, Sony is trying to create a longer standard console life compared to the past.

So, yeah, it'll probably be at the bare minimum 2 years.  I'm just guessing but still.

Were hoping that the PS3 or PS4 could hold longer console life like they did to PS2 that took over 10 years to support and some developers are still making PS2 games. And if PS4 has Backward Compatibility that can play PS3 games, it could doubles the life.

bronxsushi wrote:

rouward wrote:

The PlayStation 3 isn't going away anytime soon. PlayStation VP of hardware marketing John Koller told GameSpot this week that Sony will continue to support the aging console until at least 2015, and possibly longer, provided the development scene continues to exist.

So you have at least 2 more years to get a PS3..........But the clock is ticking.

I might get PS3 this Christmas or in early next year if we earn enough money from our work to buy a console and some games. But sadly, that could be my last console to buy because I found some games I'd been looking for a long time and it's enough to keep me satisfied.

Message 5 of 13 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Nov 8, 2012

Dont rush in if you're not ready, that'll only end in misery and waste.

But don't dawdle if you are!  Even if you never buy games for it, there's still a bunch of great free stuff you can do with the console (although NOT buying games would be foolish).  And with the inevitable encroachment of bluray over dvd consider this argument as well:  Would you rather buy a $100 bluray player with relatively limited functions, or buy a $300 dollar system that plays games AND bluray, as well as a variety of other funtions.

Like you , we all hope to see the ps3 have a long, healthy run.  And even more so that the PS4 (whenever it comes along) will do the same, WITH BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY (nudge to sony there), as well as the more simplistic upgrade ability (I'm looking at YOU Xbox360, with your damned specialized hard drive.)

Message 6 of 13 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19205 posts

Nov 8, 2012

Seems to me that there's still ample time to buy and enjoy the PS3. 

And there's so many good games to be had for a fraction of their original price.  

Message 7 of 13 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Nov 9, 2012

bronxsushi wrote:

rouward wrote:

This doesn't mean that there won't be a ps4 soon, though.  The ps2 was supported at least 2 years into the ps3's life and it did very, very well for sales.  

But this tech is 6 years old.  According to past trends, we would be owning a ps4 very soon VS next year or the year after.

A 2014 launch would do wonders for tech, but I honestly don't think this gen has enough gas for that.  People are ready for a new gen be it gamers or developers.  We're already seeing people hit their heads on the ceiling and certain devs want to break through.  We're geting to the point where games are really starting to show console weaknesses....

A 2013 launch is to be expected, at least for the xbox anyway because of competition.  If nintendo starts rolling out third party support and starts showing off "amazing" games people are going to get interested and flock to the next gen console vs staying on a playstation and playing lower quality titles.  I'm guessing that M$ and sony will push for a closer launch date because of the competition.  You can't just say "we like where our console is so we'll just stay put while you guys put out next gen and outdo our console."  That doesn't work like that.  No doubt there are many things that went wrong with the playstation 3... one of them being giving the competition a one year head start.  The race is much closer than it should be by that alone.  (that was just an example of one of the problems, we don't need to go through and list them all because we all know)

I'm surprised Sony hasn't pushed out a new console yet.  This gen has been horrible for Sony.  Their games are selling awful (mostly because they are bad at advertising), they've lost tons of money, studios have been shut down, and combined with the CELL complications, split memory pool and constantly having to update games and the console itself I'm SHOCKED Sony hasn't put forth a little more effort into putting out a new console.  I love the playstation 3 probably MORE than the next guy... but the ps3 has quite a few problems.  

2014 would be better tech wise...we'd see a better console for a better price... but 2013 is more competitive for the competition..especially if Sony can really show that their console is "next gen" vs "ps3.5 with 1080p 60fps" Plus the gamer inside me is SCREAMING for bigger and better games.  Uncharted 3 really shows a technical ceiling has been hit... and I want to see what ND can do when the sky's the limit. 

Message 8 of 13 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4330 posts

Nov 9, 2012

Goldhawk1 wrote:

bronxsushi wrote:

rouward wrote:

This doesn't mean that there won't be a ps4 soon, though.  The ps2 was supported at least 2 years into the ps3's life and it did very, very well for sales.  

But this tech is 6 years old.  According to past trends, we would be owning a ps4 very soon VS next year or the year after.

A 2014 launch would do wonders for tech, but I honestly don't think this gen has enough gas for that.  People are ready for a new gen be it gamers or developers.  We're already seeing people hit their heads on the ceiling and certain devs want to break through.  We're geting to the point where games are really starting to show console weaknesses....

A 2013 launch is to be expected, at least for the xbox anyway because of competition.  If nintendo starts rolling out third party support and starts showing off "amazing" games people are going to get interested and flock to the next gen console vs staying on a playstation and playing lower quality titles.  I'm guessing that M$ and sony will push for a closer launch date because of the competition.  You can't just say "we like where our console is so we'll just stay put while you guys put out next gen and outdo our console."  That doesn't work like that.  No doubt there are many things that went wrong with the playstation 3... one of them being giving the competition a one year head start.  The race is much closer than it should be by that alone.  (that was just an example of one of the problems, we don't need to go through and list them all because we all know)

I'm surprised Sony hasn't pushed out a new console yet.  This gen has been horrible for Sony.  Their games are selling awful (mostly because they are bad at advertising), they've lost tons of money, studios have been shut down, and combined with the CELL complications, split memory pool and constantly having to update games and the console itself I'm SHOCKED Sony hasn't put forth a little more effort into putting out a new console.  I love the playstation 3 probably MORE than the next guy... but the ps3 has quite a few problems.  

2014 would be better tech wise...we'd see a better console for a better price... but 2013 is more competitive for the competition..especially if Sony can really show that their console is "next gen" vs "ps3.5 with 1080p 60fps" Plus the gamer inside me is SCREAMING for bigger and better games.  Uncharted 3 really shows a technical ceiling has been hit... and I want to see what ND can do when the sky's the limit. 

We're hoping that the launch of PS4 is probably at 2014 or later (assuming that some gamers weren't ready for the 8th gen), but if they launch too early like they did to PS3 and 360 and most of the old games are still playable, it would be a huge trap. Sales would gradually down compare to the previous gen. If only the newer consoles would add improvements especially the Backward Compatibility, it wouldn't go down (except the PS Vita).

I remember when the Vita was launched 7 years after the launch of PSP. However there are some people like me complains why did they add features of Vita that was supposed for PSP (Trophies for example) and the removal of UMD drive, thus Vita is no longer a BC. Some of them decide not to buy PSV because of that (including myself).

If Sony and other companies has listened to us, the gaming industry could doubles the lifespan. Despite of that, I already found some games I've been looking for a long time and it's enough to satisfy me. If those games were fully Backward Compatibility for PS4 or the next PSP, I would buy it.

Message 9 of 13 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Nov 9, 2012

rouward wrote:

1. We're hoping that the launch of PS4 is probably at 2014 or later (assuming that some gamers weren't ready for the 8th gen), but if they launch too early like they did to PS3 and 360 and most of the old games are still playable, it would be a huge trap. Sales would gradually down compare to the previous gen. If only the newer consoles would add improvements especially the Backward Compatibility, it wouldn't go down (except the PS Vita).

2. I remember when the Vita was launched 7 years after the launch of PSP. However there are some people like me complains why did they add features of Vita that was supposed for PSP (Trophies for example) and the removal of UMD drive, thus Vita is no longer a BC. Some of them decide not to buy PSV because of that (including myself).

3. If Sony and other companies has listened to us, the gaming industry could doubles the lifespan. Despite of that, I already found some games I've been looking for a long time and it's enough to satisfy me. If those games were fully Backward Compatibility for PS4 or the next PSP, I would buy it.

1. I know a 2014 launch would do great for ps4 tech and capabilities... but how much exactly?  It wouldn't be too much more amazing than I'm sure it already is.  The problem with the ps3 didn't have anything to do with the time it launched...well it did, because it gave the competition a huge lead but there were a lot of other problems associated with the ps3, which is why I'm shocked we aren't closer to next gen than we are.  

Sony can't afford to be too late... that was their problem last gen.  A new console with tons of features and better graphics came out and everyone jumped ship to that console because it was something new.  Then nintendo game out slightly earlier... but much, much cheaper and with a brand new gimmick.  That alone hurt playstation's sales...along with a high price tag in comparison to the other consoles.  

Sony has taken a huge hit when it comes to the fanbse this gen.  A lot less ps3s than 2s, exclusives are selling like poo... giving nintendo 2 years to get more complex games than this gen, more third  party support, price drop or two... They'll need to really impress to get people away from nintendo or even M$ and buy into their console if Sony comes out much, much later again.  

Tech wise, yeah I want the ps4 to be the most powerful console on the market...but the past shows us that just because you've got a powerful console doesn't mean you'll be the "go to" or better console for gaming.  Every generation so far has shown us that the more powerful console usually ends up with less sales.  

But from a business perspective you have to realize what they are going to be able to do with their console and games in the time it takes for Sony to get their head together and get a ps4 shipped out.  Not only that, but you also have to make up for the lost ground that they gained... you have to push out better games than they are sooner, and do something to get more third party support.  

2. The vita's problem was that they launched so many versions of the PsP..and they never had a price drop.  Each model was still really expensive then the vita comes out... $250 with no games, hardly any support... of course the ps vita is going to suffer... they went down a terrible route...it has nothing to do with how "early" it was launched.  If they were planning a vita, they shouldn't have pushed out so many versions of the PsP and they should support it WAY more.

But I also think they should have waited until around ps4 launch to launch the vita.. because the connectivity with the ps3 isn't that great, and I'm sure they'll want it to work even better with the ps4...but at that time the ps vita will have much worse graphics than the ps4 and look much more inferior compared to that console.  Unless there's a vita 2 of course... 

3. Consoles will always have a short lifetime...that's just how it works.  Because if you put amazing tech in there that'll last longer... it'll cost way, way more.  If you expect tech made back in 2006  to last us very long, that's just silly...we're already seeing people max out the ps3... how are we supposed to go another 2 or 3 years when games are suffering from so many technical difficulties and developers are getting tired of not being able to expand even more?  They will always have a short lifespan.  

People and developers will always want bigger and better games.  You can't get that through using horribly out dated tech.  

Message 10 of 13 (64 Views)
0 Likes