MVP Support
12485 posts

Re: Today's movies suck!

[ Edited ]
Aug 25, 2013

It seems like I don’t watch very many movies these days. If I’m not playing video games then I spend most of my time on the television watching television shows (series with episodes). If the "blockbuster hits" aren’t cutting it for you personally then maybe you need to dig a little bit deeper in order to find films that might appeal to you? I watched Looper (2012) a little while ago. I didn't think there was anything wrong with this film.

PlayStation Consumer Services and Technical Support: 1-800-345-7669

PlayStation Account and Billing Support: 1-877-971-7669

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 41 of 64 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Aug 25, 2013
I think Drive is my favorite movie. Every time I watch it, it gets better.
 photo sig_zpsfya567e6.jpg
Message 42 of 64 (177 Views)
Sackboy
426 posts

Aug 25, 2013

I kind of dig 1920 operas. Plays too <3 

I agree movies from then were..ARE better compared to today's. Yeah they have better effects, but I LOVE the corny, older effects. Even the TV shows. The Munsters FTW!

photo Untitled_zps78a0672e.png
Message 43 of 64 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

Aug 25, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

rengle598 wrote:
You know what? Where are all my fellow movie buffs? I swear, there are almost no movie buffs on this forum! (Well, except for possibly NikeMurphDawg. Don't know if you are one, but I assume so)

I'm a movie buff.

I haven't seen a lot of the newest stuff in theatres, this year, because I just couldn't get excited about most of it.

I wouldn't say I'm a movie buff on account of I have a terrible memory but I've seen my fair share of good and bad films. Bad being important too because you have to know what a bad film looks and feels like, IMO. 

photo Narcissus1_zps170f3e51.jpg
Message 44 of 64 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Aug 25, 2013

rengle598 wrote:
Some good movies I have seen recently... (Or at least that I thought were good)

Elysium
You're Next
The Hurt Locker
21 Jump Street (Not a gem, but sure is funny)
Looper
The Social Network
Argo
Drive
Fast 5
Fast 6
Saw (The first one is amazing! But it's overlooked now days since the rest of the series was so bad...)
Zombieland (for the lols)
Evil Dead (the remake. Haven't seen the original, but I imagine it was funnier as the remake took a more serious turn)
Pacific Rim
Les Miserables (2012)

I honestly loved all 7 Saw movies. It is a serialized series. You can watch the first movie and leave it at that, but if you watch the whole franchise, you will see they actually continue off each other, and are not just stand-alone sequels.

It's worth the time to see how it all comes around full circle.

My brother and I made it a ritual, after seeing the first one in theatres. We went to every midnight showing, for all 6 sequels, and loved the entire series. It had a good run. Was sad to see it end.

I really loved the Evil Dead remake. Though, I highly recommend you watch the original. It was serious too, with some dark humor.

The movies did not take a comical turn until part 2, then of course, Army of Darkness was mostly comedy.

The director really hopes to eventually have the "new Ash" and the original Ash meet up, in the future.

He said he did not plan the movie as just a remake / re-imagining, but as a kinda sequel to the original trilogy itself.

That is why Bruce Campbell makes a cameo in the end. He said it was to pretty much say the original Ash is still out there, somewhere.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 45 of 64 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 25, 2013

@OP

If you like good acting and deep characters, check out "Brick" and "A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints."

Great movies, im my opinion. (And no CGI! Smiley Wink)

NikeMurphDawg wrote:
I think Drive is my favorite movie. Every time I watch it, it gets better.

That movie is special. Loved it.
But, the director's follow up was just... smh. I could not get in to "Only God Forgives."

It felt like a 30 minute short film, streeeeetched and milked in to 1 hour and 29 minutes. It was painful at times.

Maybe I was just expecting something more.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 46 of 64 (152 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Aug 25, 2013
I enjoyed it. I actually watched a 19 minute long YouTube video that explained nearly everything, and it made me appreciate the film even more.
Message 47 of 64 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Aug 25, 2013

NikeMurphDawg wrote:
I enjoyed it. I actually watched a 19 minute long YouTube video that explained nearly everything, and it made me appreciate the film even more.

And when a movie like that needs a 19 minute video to explain to someone what the movie is trying to say, that is bad story telling. Smiley Tongue

Plus, keep in mind, you are just listening to someone else's interpretation of a movie, and what it meant to them.

As if to say "You didn't get it, but I did."

Message 48 of 64 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Aug 25, 2013
Smiley Sad
Message 49 of 64 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
1473 posts

Aug 25, 2013

ChangeDaBullets wrote:

I'm looking forward to what they will do with a "Splinter Cell", but too bad they couldn't have done it earlier and had Michael Ironside, who did the voice of Sam Fisher in the game, actually play the character in the movie. I think he's a very underrated character actor.

Well that guy is kind old honestly he wouldn't have the agility or special moves like most of the actors do.. that's just my opinion and I do like Tom Hardy as an actor he does have potential

Yes Michael Ironside is too old now, he's 63, but in the game itself, Sam Fisher is 42.

Tom Hardy did a great job in playing Bane, but at the age of 35, I just don't feel he looks "seasoned" enough to play the character of Sam Fisher. However, still looking forward to it!

If we took just five minutes, to recognize each others beauty, instead of attacking each other for our differences .............
Ellen Page
Message 50 of 64 (133 Views)