Fender Bender
1473 posts

Re: Today's movies suck!

Aug 25, 2013

I feel that today's movies don't have anything new in them for the most part.

It's like they can't come up with any new original ideas.

I saw Elysium - and it was a good movie, but totally predictable and had the "been there done that" feel to it. The only thing I really enjoyed, was watching Sharito Copley, who played such a good guy in District 9, play such a bad guy. Tell me, why doesn't Matt Damon have an accent like everyone else, when as a child, he couldn't speak any English and everyone around him spoke with an accent?

I saw Olympus has fallen and I gotta say, it felt like I was watching a Die Hard movie but without Bruce Willis.

I saw Oblivion, which was good, but again I found it predictable and had figured out the ending way before it ended.

I've seen both the new JJ Abrams Star Trek movies and really enjoyed them, especially with how they found characters to play the younger versions of original Star Trek series, of which I think they nailed. Again it was somewhat predictable, but the action sequences more than made up for it.

I'm looking forward to what they will do with a "Splinter Cell", but too bad they couldn't have done it earlier and had Michael Ironside, who did the voice of Sam Fisher in the game, actually play the character in the movie. I think he's a very underrated character actor.

If we took just five minutes, to recognize each others beauty, instead of attacking each other for our differences .............
Ellen Page
Message 31 of 64 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5702 posts

Aug 25, 2013

I'm looking forward to what they will do with a "Splinter Cell", but too bad they couldn't have done it earlier and had Michael Ironside, who did the voice of Sam Fisher in the game, actually play the character in the movie. I think he's a very underrated character actor.

Well that guy is kind old honestly he wouldn't have the agility or special moves like most of the actors do.. that's just my opinion and I do like Tom Hardy as an actor he does have potential

photo f9ed0560-3816-41c2-9bbf-cb66d0260acb_zpsyrnrzise.jpg
Message 32 of 64 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4354 posts

Aug 25, 2013
You know what? Where are all my fellow movie buffs? I swear, there are almost no movie buffs on this forum! (Well, except for possibly NikeMurphDawg. Don't know if you are one, but I assume so)
Message 33 of 64 (81 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Aug 25, 2013

rengle598 wrote:
You know what? Where are all my fellow movie buffs? I swear, there are almost no movie buffs on this forum! (Well, except for possibly NikeMurphDawg. Don't know if you are one, but I assume so)

I'm a movie buff.

I haven't seen a lot of the newest stuff in theatres, this year, because I just couldn't get excited about most of it.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 34 of 64 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13099 posts

Aug 25, 2013
There are good movies out there....but some movies I wonder how they even made it to production. Bucky larson:born to be a star anyone?
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 35 of 64 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
36435 posts

Aug 25, 2013

userusb wrote:

Yes, there are plenty of movies that lack originality, just go see a Bruce Willis movie. Bruce is the hero, he's badass, there's some sort of family dispute, a super villain and then Bruce kicks his **bleep**. This is why I don't see Bruce Willis movies very often, I find they're the same copy+paste formula.

But I find there are plenty of movies with original ideas as well. I find the Disney and Pixar movies are a great example. Many of the characters are unique and it would take me 20 years to come up with their characters.

There also movies with great acting and scripts. I find the Batman Trilogy with Christian Bale and Captain America: First Avenger (and other Marvel and DC Comics movies) to be fine examples of this. It's all believable and doesn't look like the actors read the script 5 seconds before the scene was filmed.

Did you see Looper with Bruce willis?  Not the typical fare.  And of course Sixth Sense.

As for the Batman trilogy being believable, they lost me at The Dark Knight.  Not believable at all.  Maybe it's time I re-posted my 40-odd major flaws and inconsistencies I found in that movie.  Batman Begins was pretty awesome.  The other two were weaksauce, and not very believable.

Message 36 of 64 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4354 posts

Aug 25, 2013
Oh there are more than just that Toxic. Way, way more...
Message 37 of 64 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Aug 25, 2013

DrGadget wrote:

userusb wrote:

Yes, there are plenty of movies that lack originality, just go see a Bruce Willis movie. Bruce is the hero, he's badass, there's some sort of family dispute, a super villain and then Bruce kicks his **bleep**. This is why I don't see Bruce Willis movies very often, I find they're the same copy+paste formula.

But I find there are plenty of movies with original ideas as well. I find the Disney and Pixar movies are a great example. Many of the characters are unique and it would take me 20 years to come up with their characters.

There also movies with great acting and scripts. I find the Batman Trilogy with Christian Bale and Captain America: First Avenger (and other Marvel and DC Comics movies) to be fine examples of this. It's all believable and doesn't look like the actors read the script 5 seconds before the scene was filmed.

Did you see Looper with Bruce willis?  Not the typical fare.  And of course Sixth Sense.

As for the Batman trilogy being believable, they lost me at The Dark Knight.  Not believable at all.  Maybe it's time I re-posted my 40-odd major flaws and inconsistencies I found in that movie.  Batman Begins was pretty awesome.  The other two were weaksauce, and not very believable.

Looper was pretty good! 

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 38 of 64 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4354 posts

Aug 25, 2013
Some good movies I have seen recently... (Or at least that I thought were good)

Elysium
You're Next
The Hurt Locker
21 Jump Street (Not a gem, but sure is funny)
Looper
The Social Network
Argo
Drive
Fast 5
Fast 6
Saw (The first one is amazing! But it's overlooked now days since the rest of the series was so bad...)
Zombieland (for the lols)
Evil Dead (the remake. Haven't seen the original, but I imagine it was funnier as the remake took a more serious turn)
Pacific Rim
Les Miserables (2012)
Message 39 of 64 (65 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
36435 posts

Aug 25, 2013

ChangeDaBullets wrote:

Most of today's movies are just special effects.. For instnace I am a HUGE star trek fan and I was utterly outraged over when JJ Abrams took the franchise over and turned the film into a star wars parody. All that disgusting film was a hot babe half naked special effects star wars theme based.. That's not star trek. but anyways.. I just prefer old classics over now adays filming.. Sure they have made some good movies but it is rare for them to actually make a block buster film. Now with a watch dogs film coming out and a new splinter cell movie coming out I really hope and pray they don't ruin it. Tom hardy supposed to play sam fisher

I too was underwhelmed by the JJ Abrams relaunch.  I took the family to the theater to see the first one.  What a waste.  I was expecting so much more from JJ.  This wasn't even good enough to be a Fringe episode.  I'll see the second one when it comes out on HBO or whatever.  There's a guy at my church who won't shut up about the new Star Trek, so I have to take him step by step down the itemized fail list.  From the second I saw the re-imagined Enterprise (which was mostly kept secret for obvious reasons) I could tell this movie would be very bad.  Lots of stuff blowing up; none of it making any sense.

RatchetH22 wrote:
Isn't the same thing said about consoles? Every year the graphics get better, but the games get "worse". I see it this way, every decade there will be great movies, and there will be crap movies. It's all opinion based anyways.

Agreed.  I've been saying this for years.  Does it really improve your gaming experience to see every individual blade of grass in that field next to the racetrack, when you're really just there to drive a torqued-out Ferarri?

Not that I hate good graphics per se, but they are not supposed to be the singular focus of the game.  Gameplay and repeat gameplay need to be at the top of the list.

Message 40 of 64 (61 Views)
0 Likes