Apr 06 2007
By: ZOFOURTWENTY Treasure Hunter 9199 posts

To Sell or Not To Sell??

36 replies 2 views Edited Apr 6, 2007
I just got a leeter in the mail stating that my company is merging with another powerhouse company and they have offered to purchase my outstanding shares that I hold at $35 a share.  I currently own 550 shares of my company's stock.  If I decide to cash in on the shares it would net me $19250.  But I would guess that I would get taxed heavily on it since it is now in my 401k and was part of a pre tax contribution.  I can either sell 100%, a percentage or keep my shares as is.  currently the stock is trading at $35.49.  I was thinking of maybe selling 25% and getting myself a nice fat check.  What do you guys think??  This money could fund my trip to Chile in July so I can ski the Andes Mountains.
Message 1 of 37 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4377 posts

Re: To Sell or Not To Sell??

Apr 6, 2007
keep those shares

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 2 of 37 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19357 posts

Apr 6, 2007
i say keep the shares man
Why, yes, I was born on January 1, 1905."
Message 3 of 37 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
18648 posts

Apr 6, 2007
You know be a smart investor. Sell some not all and keep the rest just in case.
Message 4 of 37 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17115 posts

Apr 6, 2007
The nature of merging usually cranks those stock prices up. If I was you, I would probably keep the shares. Unless you have a guttly feeling about this new company and feel things might turn for the worse. What are your co-workers ideas about it?
Photobucket
Message 5 of 37 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4377 posts

Apr 6, 2007

Hybrid oo7 wrote:
The nature of merging usually cranks those stock prices up. If I was you, I would probably keep the shares. Unless you have a guttly feeling about this new company and feel things might turn for the worse. What are your co-workers ideas about it?

yea i agree,,,,,,i wish i had shares in microsoft

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 6 of 37 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9199 posts

Apr 6, 2007

aznsniper911 wrote:

i like the way your'e thinking.  sell 10-20% and keep the rest.  i purchased 60% of the stock 2 years ago at $14 a share and the rest was given to me by my company.  I am tempted to just sell 20%.
Message 7 of 37 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
18648 posts

Apr 6, 2007

ZOFOURTWENTY wrote:

aznsniper911 wrote:

i like the way your'e thinking.  sell 10-20% and keep the rest.  i purchased 60% of the stock 2 years ago at $14 a share and the rest was given to me by my company.  I am tempted to just sell 20%.

Remember the big market crash a couple months ago? I mean seriously that could happen again and maybe even worst.
Message 8 of 37 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17115 posts

Apr 6, 2007

aznsniper911 wrote:

ZOFOURTWENTY wrote:

aznsniper911 wrote:

Remember the big market crash a couple months ago? I mean seriously that could happen again and maybe even worst.

There be the problem. People selling when they get too nervous when the market takes a dip. If you have faith in this company (almost sure it's going to go nowhere but up) just stick with it in the longrun.
Photobucket
Message 9 of 37 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9199 posts

Apr 6, 2007

Hybrid oo7 wrote:

Well my company just penetrated the Calfornia and Nevada markey about 8 months ago and the majority of the company's locations are  located in the east, midwest and downsouth.  my company relocated me to the southern california market 6 months ago in the acquistion of a company here in SoCal.  My current co-workers would not have much input as they do not own any stock of our company unless they have presonal investments.  My buddies back home said sell 18% and live it up, you only live once.  plus i would love to go home (NYC) for  a week and hang out with family and friends.
Message 10 of 37 (2 Views)
0 Likes