Nov 21 2006
By: canadaeh VP of Gaming 31107 posts

This is why you dont buy a Wii [IT HAPPENED AGAIN, PG. 7]

86 replies 1 views Edited Nov 21, 2006
Wiimote strap breaks, controller destroys TV

So there's this dude who was playing Wii Sports bowling, as his story goes, and his pal rolls a Lebowski and the next thing you know the strap breaks from the force of the swing; his slippery hands let loose, and the Wiimote flies like a missile and cracks his pal's TV. Believe it or not, having played Wii Sports bowling, this is totally something we can imagine. But you can take one of two positions here: 1) dude or his friend weren't using the wrist strap, as is recommended before every game starts, and the controller flew out of his hands and smashed the set; dude(s) cut the strap and put it on display for internet pity points (and possibly a new TV courtesy of an anxious Nintendo). Or 2) somehow the Wiimote strap -- which, for the record, we think feels sturdy enough -- does break mid-game and this guy really is out a 60-inch TV thanks to Nintendo's fabric engineering team. But we know one thing for sure, that's a helluva crack and something tells us it won't be the last.

Message Edited by canadaeh on 11-21-2006 04:36 AM

Message Edited by canadaeh on 11-21-2006 04:37 AM
Message 61 of 87 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4212 posts

Re: This is why you dont buy a Wii

Nov 20, 2006
Lol

canadaeh wrote:
Wiimote strap breaks, controller destroys TV

So there's this dude who was playing Wii Sports bowling, as his story goes, and his pal rolls a Lebowski and the next thing you know the strap breaks from the force of the swing; his slippery hands let loose, and the Wiimote flies like a missile and cracks his pal's TV. Believe it or not, having played Wii Sports bowling, this is totally something we can imagine. But you can take one of two positions here: 1) dude or his friend weren't using the wrist strap, as is recommended before every game starts, and the controller flew out of his hands and smashed the set; dude(s) cut the strap and put it on display for internet pity points (and possibly a new TV courtesy of an anxious Nintendo). Or 2) somehow the Wiimote strap -- which, for the record, we think feels sturdy enough -- does break mid-game and this guy really is out a 60-inch TV thanks to Nintendo's fabric engineering team. But we know one thing for sure, that's a helluva crack and something tells us it won't be the last.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Message 1 of 87 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3342 posts

Nov 20, 2006
when i first saw it i knew it was something my youngest kid would destroy but none of them wanted it.
My Cardomain Page.
Former GFAC USAF-8 years
Message 2 of 87 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4341 posts

Nov 20, 2006
Yeah, that looks like they cut the strap, because I couldn't imagine the strap just breaking like it shows.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 3 of 87 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4762 posts

Nov 20, 2006

the katamari king wrote:
Yeah, that looks like they cut the strap, because I couldn't imagine the strap just breaking like it shows.

Totally, the cut looks pretty clean...

Message 4 of 87 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
18074 posts

Nov 20, 2006
LOL, yeah they cut it and broke a perfectly nice thousand-dollar TV!

Message 5 of 87 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15867 posts

Nov 20, 2006
Hahaha
As much as that sucks, I have to admit with a lot of 360's failing at launch (red power light of doom) and over 48,000 PS3s that overheated/don't work, and now this, all launch systems have problems of some kind...
Message 6 of 87 (1 View)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
37639 posts

Nov 20, 2006
My kids destroy 90% of their Christmas gifts on Day 1.  It's what kids do.  That strap should be extra heavy duty industrial strength.
Message 7 of 87 (1 View)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
45517 posts

Nov 20, 2006
No, that is why you don't play Wii Bowling.
Message 8 of 87 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5470 posts

Nov 20, 2006
I see that the cord broke but why wasn't he wearing the wrist strap? It tells you to wear that in every game practically.
Message 9 of 87 (1 View)
0 Likes