Highlighted
Jan 24 2007
By: braffin Fender Bender 4393 posts

Think about this...

5 replies 3 views Edited Jan 24, 2007
First of all, I'm sure that this thread will be locked by the mods, but I thought what the heck, I'll give it a shot.

In my humanities class yesterday, we talked briefly about the religion in the Sumerian culture. I've always thought about a few of the things we mentioned, but what do you think? I was born and raised in a Christian household, and my mom is still quite a religious person. But I've thought about things and these are some questions that I've always thought about; What are the two well know of religions today? Probably Christianity and Islam at this point. Both religions think that they are right and that their respective "god" is the correct one to worship. This is pretty much the case with every religion out there. So if every religion thinks that they are right, even to the point of dieing for it, why does it make it the only one that can be right? Example: Ancient Egypt was a rather large and successful civilization for its time. They had a huge religion which included hundreds of gods. They worshiped them and probably even more fervently than we worship our god(s) today. So why aren't the Egyptians right about which religion? This could be said about every religion.
    Now also, some people might disagree with this next point, but: What about what history says about the age of the of the Sumerians/Egyptians/Akkadians vs. the early Christian civilizations. Historians say that the later came after most Sumerians/Egyptians/Akkadians. According to our textbook for humanities, the Sumerians had a tale very similar to that of the Christians' "Noah's Ark/The Flood". Other civilizations showed similar similarities.
    Lastly, if you look back at earilier religions, you will be able to see how they have changed to what they are now, if they are still around. Also, if you look at most of the large religions around today, you will probably see that there is only one god, and if not, there will probably be only a few gods. This is a change from the hundreds of gods that were around in Ancient times. I've thought, perhaps this is because it is easier to keep a religion alive, since you don't have to make every single god "alive". aka, it's easier to remember one person's name rather than the names of 400 people.
   Before I finish, I'd like to make it clear that I'm not trying to get people to convert, to question their religion, and I'm not saying that any one religion is better than another. I primarily used Christianity in examples because since I grew up in a Christian household. I'm simply just putting my thoughts down, and I'm sure that these aren't all of them.
----------------------------------------------------------
"Little Miss Muffet; sat on a tuffet; eating her curds and whey; along came a spider; who sat down beside her; and frightened Miss Muffet away. Then Muffet went back; and checked her gun-rack; grabbing a .357; finding the spider; she sat dwon beside her; and blew that poor sucker to heaven."
Message 1 of 6 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19357 posts

Re: Think about this...

Jan 24, 2007
i think LOST is the best show on tv
Why, yes, I was born on January 1, 1905."
Message 2 of 6 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12751 posts

Jan 24, 2007

Ashton305 wrote:

May I have my avatar back? Or at least scale it right....78x100
APPLE SPY
Message 3 of 6 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19357 posts

Jan 24, 2007

Aowen wrote:

Ashton305 wrote:

i'll think about it
Why, yes, I was born on January 1, 1905."
Message 4 of 6 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4393 posts

Jan 24, 2007

Ashton305 wrote:

Aowen wrote:

Ashton305 wrote:

i'll think about it

gee thanks for the spam
----------------------------------------------------------
"Little Miss Muffet; sat on a tuffet; eating her curds and whey; along came a spider; who sat down beside her; and frightened Miss Muffet away. Then Muffet went back; and checked her gun-rack; grabbing a .357; finding the spider; she sat dwon beside her; and blew that poor sucker to heaven."
Message 5 of 6 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12979 posts

Jan 24, 2007

stealthy wrote:
First of all, I'm sure that this thread will be locked by the mods, but I thought what the heck, I'll give it a shot.

Why did you post it if you knew it would get locked? Anyway, you know why its locked.
Message 6 of 6 (3 Views)
0 Likes