Highlighted
Jan 10 2013
By: Katzenbach Splicer 70 posts

The end of OPM Official Playstation Magazine)!

10 replies 148 views Edited Jan 10, 2013

So, in case no one knew, OPM, Official Playstation Magazine, has ended.  This must be the 2nd time an official magazine for Playstation died.  Why??  I'm not a hardcore gamer but I've had every Playstation console since it was introduced back in the late 90s.  How am I gonna follow new and upcoming games?  What about reviews that I trust?  Anyone else disappointed by this news?

On a side note, what are my alternatives?  I am a loyalist so subscribing to some general gaming magazine just won't do it for me!  I want PS content and PS content only.

Message 1 of 11 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Re: The end of OPM Official Playstation Magazine)!

Jan 10, 2013

Katzenbach wrote:

So, in case no one knew, OPM, Official Playstation Magazine, has ended.  This must be the 2nd time an official magazine for Playstation died.  Why??  I'm not a hardcore gamer but I've had every Playstation console since it was introduced back in the late 90s.  How am I gonna follow new and upcoming games?  What about reviews that I trust?  Anyone else disappointed by this news?

On a side note, what are my alternatives?  I am a loyalist so subscribing to some general gaming magazine just won't do it for me!  I want PS content and PS content only.

Hello, you do have the internet, don't you?..just look the info up online...With the internet you read about new games them AND watch game trailers. as for reviws you trust, i recommend you read about the game online...the game's general info...then follow that up with a 50-60 second gameplay video...if you like what you read and you like what you see, then give the game a try...if you have to have a reviewer, then just read a few online,

I'm sorry that your magazine is gone...i know it sucks to lose things that you are use toSmiley Sad

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 11 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42142 posts

Jan 10, 2013
A lot of magazines have been biting it. I think Nintendo Power just called the quits too. Online has pretty much killed them when you can get the info for a game/reveal right then and there along with trailers, gameplay, developer interviews, etc. all without waiting for your magazine to come in the mail. For those whose draw was the demo disc, the various console stores have put an end to them where developers/publishers can offer their demos to a larger portion of the gaming population without relying on getting it out to magazine subscribers/buyers only.

The digital age is taking names and leaving bodies.

Message 3 of 11 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Jan 10, 2013

Splicer:  Yes, I do have the internet and have used it to reference many games or info about them but there's just something about a physical magazine, especially one you've been reading for years!  I'm old school that way I guess.  I also (brace yourself) find getting that info for games online a bit of a pain and a longer process.  I guess now i have no choice.  **bleep** digital age!  lol

Message 4 of 11 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42142 posts

Jan 10, 2013

Katzenbach wrote:

Splicer:  Yes, I do have the internet and have used it to reference many games or info about them but there's just something about a physical magazine, especially one you've been reading for years!  I'm old school that way I guess.  I also (brace yourself) find getting that info for games online a bit of a pain and a longer process.  I guess now i have no choice.  **bleep** digital age!  lol

I actually like having something physical as well if the option is there.  I still prefer to read an actual novel physically than in 'e-Book' form.

Where have you been going to get info online whenever you've tried?

Message 5 of 11 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Jan 10, 2013

Oh, different sites like 1up.com, youtube (for game play clips & tips), and Google for random/specific inquires.  For news, previews and reviews of PS games, I was only getting it from OPM.  It was just more convenient for me.  Plus, not to be vulgar, it was one of my magazines I chose to read while on the toilet.  LOL

Message 6 of 11 (124 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 10, 2013

Katzenbach wrote:

This was actually in the news months ago, shortly after it was announced that Nintendo magazine was going to cease operations too. Actually in the US the same publisher (Future) published all three platform specific magazines. Only the offical Xbox magazine remains, and who knows how long that will last.

The staff of the PlayStation magazine must have gotten short notice on its closure because they didn't take the time to make a farewell issue that Nintendo Power did.

IMO Game Informer magazine is very good, and really is the only major domestic magazine left. The UK has a thriving magazine market, and Future's PS magazine over there is practically identical to the US one (it can be found in Barns & Noble)...

Message 7 of 11 (116 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
40094 posts

Jan 10, 2013

Katzenbach wrote:

Yea this is rather old news now & was discussed some months back in 2012,  I already got my refund for the digital version I used to read on my iPad.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 8 of 11 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Jan 10, 2013

I used to get the OPM just for the demo discs, didn't care about the reviews because it wasn't impartial, it was Sony's magazine.

It's been a long time since I read OPM, too expensive for my taste. I don't trust reviews anymore and think they're hogwash. Just people with motives who are out to promote this or that.

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 9 of 11 (111 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 10, 2013

havocsarmy wrote:

I used to get the OPM just for the demo discs, didn't care about the reviews because it wasn't impartial, it was Sony's magazine.

It's been a long time since I read OPM, too expensive for my taste. I don't trust reviews anymore and think they're hogwash. Just people with motives who are out to promote this or that.

It was Sony's official magazine, but Sony didn't run the magazine. IMO the reviews were quite impartial, there were plenty of good and bad reviews in the pages of the magazine.

You should have seen Nintendo Power magazine in the early days whe Nintendo ran the magazine. That magazine was very partial, they would give a positive spin to even the worst games released for that month...

Message 10 of 11 (106 Views)
0 Likes