Uncharted Territory
1392 posts

Re: The United States Constitution: 2nd Amendment

Apr 4, 2013
Something told me not to click this thread and to just move on to the next topic....
Message 21 of 151 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 15, 2013

photo Narcissus1_zps170f3e51.jpg
Message 22 of 151 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Apr 4, 2013

so...what was the point you were trying to make? 

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 23 of 151 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55022 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 4, 2013

SinDaFella wrote:

I don't know if I can I agree with that logic. Anything that is in fact an instrument of death in my eyes is NOT a good thing. YES! It's an instrument that can be used to provide and defend. But over time it has caused more bad than good. History has proven that to be a fact. I say this because man is flawed and perverse. No, I am not preaching because I don't believe in god. But, I do know what men are capable of doing to one another. I lived in NYC for over thirty years. To see a Tech 9 or an AR 15 in the hands of people that have no business with any kind of firearm was disturbing. And guess how they acquired those weapons? 

Someone exercised the right to bear arms. Then turned around and broke the law to make a profit. I am so torn when it comes to the 2nd amendment and gun control Acts/laws...whatever. But, we've gone too far now and there is NO turning back. They are quite a few people who are well versed in the LETTER of the law. Still not sure about the SPIRIT of the law. When the 2nd amendment was created and what it was truly intended for; NOW in MY belief has been diminished and perverted. 

I feel I am well versed in both the letter and spirit of the 2nd ammendment as are other people I've seen posting here.

What, in your opinion, was the spirit of the law when it was created?

What Was it truly intended for (in your opinion again)?

What belief of yours has been diminished and perverted?

Sorry about the questions, I just want to start a conversation with you about it so I can better understand your views. 

I think you know the answers to my opinions on those questions already if you have read all my posts here but if you want me to clarify anything don't hesitate to challenge my opinions, I won't be offended.  

Message 24 of 151 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20181 posts

Apr 4, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

I know I'm jumping in here, but these are good questions to go along with the amendment at hand.

The whole point of this law was to make sure that the American public would be able to defend itself in case there was any kind of attack occurring. In order to understand this more easily, you need to look at the time period at which the law was created; the newly formed U.S had just fought a war with Great Britain and considering that the British were all around in the former colonies, the public needed a way to defend itself if need be. This mentality is completely different nowadays, since there really isn't a homefront threat anymore, unlike the 1700s.

For its true intentions, the spirit kind of falls hand in hand with it: the people needed to be able to defend themselves and come together to fight off a common enemy if they needed to. This was largely in reference to the British at the time, but since the nation was still growing and prospering, they needed to have an easy-to-use defense mechanism if they needed it, hence the 2nd Amendment.

In theory, the Amendment is a good idea: the people can be safe from their enemies. However, with no real outside threat justifying the necessity of a gun, I can see why people would want gun control laws. Guns nowadays can be seen as a bad thing since they are used for criminal activities, such as robberies and murders, as well as being very easy to obtain because of this amendment. In my personal opinion, there do need to be changes and added gun control, but only to people who are seen as criminals or mentally unfit to own a weapon so as to uplift the safety of innocent citizens.

I'm sorry if I got off on a tangent at the end with modern gun control conflicts, but here's a summary as it pertains to the Amendment itself and when it was written: the idea at the time was good and served a good purpose. However, times change and updates need to be made to accomodate these changes in society, hence the fights for gun control today.

Again, sorry about the tangent and if I wasn't supposed to talk about it.

Message 25 of 151 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Apr 4, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

I know I'm jumping in here, but these are good questions to go along with the amendment at hand.

The whole point of this law was to make sure that the American public would be able to defend itself in case there was any kind of attack occurring. In order to understand this more easily, you need to look at the time period at which the law was created; the newly formed U.S had just fought a war with Great Britain and considering that the British were all around in the former colonies, the public needed a way to defend itself if need be. This mentality is completely different nowadays, since there really isn't a homefront threat anymore, unlike the 1700s.

Um, yes...there is. Obama is creating a personal military to do who knows what...

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 26 of 151 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20181 posts

Apr 4, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

Um, yes...there is. Obama is creating a personal military to do who knows what...

Is the U.S in danger of being invaded by another country and being taken over, starting a war on American soil? I don't really think there is, and even if there was, the U.S could easily take down whoever attacks with help from allies it has all over the world.

I honestly don't see any kind of invasion of America happening any time soon. Maybe instead "homefront threat" I should have written "invasion of America."

Message 27 of 151 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Apr 4, 2013

I dont care who it is, foreign or domestic. I want to be able to defend myself.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 28 of 151 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Apr 4, 2013
@moble

I have to say your spot on about north dakota. I lived there for 6 months and wow...I mean, I met some pretty crazy people. A tweeker kid who always had a gun on him, a big fat mexican who chased me with a machete, but, these are usually people from other places(due to the oil boom). I mean, many people, specially the ones who grew up there, were extremely nice, and we never had to worry about locking our doors like we did in bullhead.

However, many people tended to rent in north dakota, even though the price of living was so high...the flood didn't really leave them with much homes to own. Still didn't raise much crime, though.

But, I have to disagree with you on a smaller city having less crime. I grew up in Bullhead City and have seen people get shot, frequently. Hell, a man shot his whole family up just the other week over there, and Minot North Dakota has a bigger pop than Bullhead City, not to mention the city itself is small as hell. Bullhead City is really a bad place to live in, when you look at it, certain smaller cities, get more criminals, more run away criminals, because the police don't expect them to be hiding in such a desolated area. We got A LOT of california criminal runaways, which resulted in a lot of crimes in the city itself. Lots of violence, as well.

But, like you said, it's because they they attain these firearms illegally that spread the crime, however, I believe in Bullhead City Arizona, you are allowed to carry around a gun if you have the papers, etc..

But, kudos to a nice post, I learned some stuff today Smiley Wink
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 29 of 151 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Apr 4, 2013
Sorry for the double post, but this is at @sin

We are instruments of death. Anything around you can be used to kill somebody, if you put enough thought, and force into it. Your own hands are instruments of death. Its how you use these instruments is what determines if its a good thing or a bad thing.

People using guns to kill others, unless their in a life or death situation, is just silly and ridiculous. But, imo, people using guns, that actually know how to use guns, using them at a shooting range, or for big game hunting, is fine. Again, in my opinion.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 30 of 151 (141 Views)
0 Likes