Black Ops? Mine doesn't freeze and the "lag" is the same as it's always been. People are simply making excuses (lag) because it's more difficult then in the past. How is BO2 freezing legit but I got jumped by a thousand people on here for saying MW3 kills your BD?
I agree it will be a huge fail.
I have had every PS console but I will not be buying this because I really do not see it as "next-gen". I said it on the blog and I will say it here, no ps3 compatibility is a major FAIL and Sony will lose tons of sales because of it. Don't even start on that ludicrous speech about having PS3 games playable by streaming on GaiKai (or however you spell it) because without a massive internet pipeline, it wont matter. I would also imagine Sony will charge you again to play those PS3 games just like they have done with the PS2 and PS1 stuff. Buy our product for your console today and we will charge you again tomorrow to play it somewhere else.
GPU being enhanced. Seriously. Wow. I am just awestruck at the "enhanced" stuff on this GPU. Maybe it is "enhanced" because it was blessed by a monk? Just like every other GPU, it will be outdated with 2 years max for gamers unless the quality is kept below what PC games are.
Touchscreen in the middle of the controller? Oh thank you Sony for answering my dreams about how to add useless items to a controller so you can copy Nintendo. Wow, I am so thankful *sigh* So now you have to hold your controller in front of your eyes so you can see the touchscreen to make it useful. If you can't see it, you can't use it, so it is useless. Start practicing holding that controller up there ladies and gents.
Downloading things you think I will buy? ROFLMAO again, FAIL Limited bandwidth, limited available GB for downloading, etc. Those things make this idea one of the dumbest I have heard. If you can't wait for a game to be downloaded in a couple hours then you have a problem and someone needs to take your console and show you that bright yellow thing in the sky. Basically, you need a life.
Integrated Facecrap - OMG, ursokool. I can see this for the kids but with Facecrap losing thousands of people daily and even more that are just letting accounts sit idle, is this really a feature to be bragging about? Maybe Johnny 12 year old will think it is awesome, as long as mommy and daddy will buy him a new console. Facebook has become a marketing gimmick that is pushing products to buy because it has lost its way.
Share gameplay footage. Wow. Other than saying to check out that yellow circle in the sky on occasion, I have to say this is sad. Your life is that awful that you want to sit and watch another person play a game or watch their video of them playing the game? People spend money to buy hardware to do this? Wow, I hope you can make some money at it.
Vita is already a FAIL so saying the same things you have said from the beginning of the Vita still doesn't make them true. How far have Vita sales fallen Sony? Yea, welcome to the figures for the PS4.
I was a huge believer in moving to a console for gaming just because the stuff worked, until I started to really play a lot of different games that caused lockups, slow downs, etc. I can understand some bugs as long as they get fixed. Selling bugged games that will always have those bugs in them is horrid and I am hoping there is a class action suit one of these days that will bankrupt the developers for making people pay for crap.
Oh well ,I wont be buying a PS4 until PS3 play for my 40+ games is guaranteed, you can turn off the download for me crap, you can disable and totally remove and reference to Facecrap and the price drops to around $250. Premium price is for premium features and this doesn't have them.
Fanbois rip away but look at the actual facts first. WHAT is next-gen about this? WHAT is Sony pushing on you? If you know enough about hardware and software you will understand, if not, look it up.
We still got E3 so don't lose hope yet. I highly doubt they will only make "Download only" games. It would pretty much crash the retail business and plus I like having a hard copy of my game. Been use to the fact with the PlayStation, PlayStation 2, and now the PlayStation 3.
I'm perfectly fine with them releasing games as downloads but they really should release a hard retail copy of it. I mean, what would happen if you want to borrow a game? Or if you you happen to lose your data? Or your PS3 gets corrupt?
We are all excited to share our thoughts on yesterdays announcements but we are spreading our thoughts out too far.
Try using this thread for all your PS4 conversations, I can see about having the other threads merged into this one so we can track all the opinions in one place!
Please. It's getting ridiculous. I asked for a merge of all the $10 threads yesterday and they did but then more were made on all other boards and I guess it was too hard to keep up. Those died down at least. The PS4 threads are only going to keep increasing. There are already at least 4 asking for a PS4 board.
Hey, Just wanted to start off saying, Darknovaxp, you did an awesome job here. I just wanted to add a couple tidbits of my own to yours.
From what I've been able to gather so far from the really vague information that's been given, I am afraid for the PlayStation's future. Several reasons for this:
1. No disc drive? Rumors are not your ally; the specs Sony released included a Blu-Ray drive. Download only? Disproved. This basically screws everyone that has been a PS fan since the beginning. First of all, I own lots of PS1 games. I want to just be able to pop one in and play if I feel like it. I'd be willing to shell out a few extra bucks for that capability. At no time during the press conference did they say that PS1 games wouldn't work in a PS4. Instead, they're going to offer PSN downloads of POPULAR games (have a niche title you love but is not in the download list on PSN? Sorry for your luck.) Second and worst of all, if I want to play FFVII or Metal Gear Solid, I have to BUY THE DOWNLOAD even though I already have the game sitting over here on my shelf? Where is the payback for those of us who have been loyal to Sony since the start? I bought my first PS back in 96 with my very first income tax return check from my dishwashing job at 17 years old, and have never played anything else but a Sony console since. I waited in line at 3 in the morning for the PS2, went through the disc read error crap with 2 different consoles, and have never even thought about buying a Nintendo or Microsoft. Is this how you repay your fans? Wow, your 34? I'm not saying your old, but at our age I thought you would have researched this a little more before you started making such bold claims.
2. This thing with the downloadable games brings up another problem, even with a TB hard drive, you could only have a limited amount of content on your console at any one time before you would have to go thru and decide what to delete so you can download something else. That is the way it is with current consoles. No one is complaining, that is unless you're typing this under the assumption there will be no optical drive. And then what if you want to play what you downloaded before again? I'm sure it won't be infinitely downloadable as many times as you want. How are you sure? Is this witchcraft or soccery? What's going to happen to used games? That's obvious. No, no it is not. The patent, I'm assuming that is what you're basing this wild accusation on, doesn't need to be used. I'm sorry Sony, but some games are good enough to warrant a buy and play for a few weeks, but not shelling out 60 bucks for. How about the handy dandy feature of trying the game before you purchase it, as mentioned in the conference. Only the true classics are worth that, and let's face it, innovation is slowly but surely grounding to a halt.
Skylanders is honestly the most innovative thing that has come out in years. Everything else is just (Insert franchise name here) 2, 3, 4, (insert gimmicky extra title here, ex. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, etc.)...fresh ideas are running out. We need to be able to have other options. Forcing us to do things your way or the highway is a recipe for failure.Nothing to do with the console.
3. What happens when the hard drive inevitably fails? Just going off PS3's HDD failure isn't that common a problem. What about network failures that could possibly corrupt streaming content or online game saves? These are problems that can exist already, how will this make the PS4 fail colassally? What's the backup plan for this? Hope you guys learned your lesson from the PSN debacle. What do hackers have to do with streaming game saves? You know you can save to cloud storage now right? So lets say your house burned down. You could get your insurance money, buy a new PS4 and have all your saves. What's the problem?
4. When one of the "groundbreaking" features is a partnership with Facebook, that's legitimate reason to worry. Anyone remember MySpace? Social networking sites come and go, and anybody that uses FB I'm sure can see the similarities in MS starting to pop up: people whining and crying and moaning too much, WAAAAY too much sharing of photos and music videos and crap like that, FB is ROCKETING downhill...in short, it's not going to be around forever. (I would be willing to bet a max of 1-2 more years.) How will this spell disaster for a game console if no one chooses to use a social network. The PS4 will not be sybiotically dependent on social media. You do know that the PS4 can play just like a PS3 if you want it too right? All this other stuff is just more options for all gamers.
5. Another "groundbreaking" feature is the sharing of gameplay footage? I could care less about this. I don't care about the ability to stream media to my PS3, doesn't mean anything. Maybe some people do, but this should be a niche detail feature, not one of the consoles major selling points. How does an addition spell disaster? That concerns me. I just cannot picture many people in todays rushing world sitting down in front of their $500 gaming machine to watch what their friends did earlier in their game. That's what YouTube is for. I didn't know that YouTube allowed us to record gameplay footage. It lets us upload and share it. So this is another option you don't have to use, also this is a huge deal for alot of gamers. People pay hundreds of dollars to do this with software. PS4 is making it a regular feature. Amazing.
6. Other features are just rehashes of stuff that was released in this gen. PS4+PSVita basically= WiiU. Of course I can take my WiiU controller on the bus and play there. Oh wait wasn't remoteplay on the PSP, that happened before the Wii U right? motion sensors, been there done that, Is it supposed to be taken out because of it.is ok at times WITH friends, but that's about it. If they're going to go this route, it needs to go a step further and do a Kinect type "your body IS the controller" feature BUILT IN, not an extra you have to pay for. Did you know the PSeye did this? Ever play Kung Fu Live? Anyway, I'm gonna bet you can use your body as a controller if you want. I'm seeing a trend with PS4. If there's an option for it, they'll put it in.
7. Believe it or not, there are still plenty of people out there who either live in areas that do not have suitable gaming quality internet (or no internet at all) or can't afford it, and it seems that the move is finally being made to basically disregard the single player experience in favor of online net gaming. This is going to eliminate a lot of buyers who simply don't have the means to do it, even if they want to. Difference between then and now? None. It will not cripple a console because most people do have internet.
8. Sony's strategy is seemingly counting on the people that buy this console are absolute gaming freaks who live and breathe games and don't do anything else in their spare time I thought social media and extra features were a crime(not to mention spend time with the wife/gf/bf/husband/kids/go out with friends on Friday night, etc.)...also, that everyone has large amounts of friends who are gaming freaks AND have the console as well. In today's world, the average adult just doesn't have the time to invest this much money in something that seemingly assumes we have a lot more spare time than we do when you throw in full time jobs, college, family time, etc. and those that have the spare time probably don't have the money (kids). How is the PS4 different from the PS3 in this respect? Nonsense. OH! I didn't realize you knew how much it costs. So what is "this" much? Of course there are rumors from 430 to 530. Remember, PS3 was 500 to 600 on release day.
9. I personally DO NOT WANT my PS to download stuff for me it THINKS I will like. This is kind of like the "buy something, we'll keep sending it to you until you cancel" thing that annoys the heck out of me in the real world. This "feature" better be able to be turned off. That's it, the console crippling flaw! I'm sure that most features that have been discussed will be able to be turned on or off.
This and other smaller details that I'm sure will come out later (These concerns are just my "off the top of my head" FIRST IMPRESSIONS) have me very nervous about the next gen, this could possibly be the end of the line if it fails, and Sony seems to be willing to make some huge gambles here. What gambles? It's been a fun ride so far, but I must say with us already fast approaching the end of February and the console set to debut at the end of this year, Sony seriously needs to go in detail about this thing and set our minds at ease about our concerns. Yeah, its called E3 Let's face it, the economy sucks and most of us just don't have mountains of money to blow on video games anymore.Yeah, PS3 remember? 600! They're going to have to prove to me it's going to be worth it to basically start all over from scratch like the first 3 Playstations basically never existed and be at the top of their game right out of the gate. Here's hoping it goes well, but I'm being VERY cautiously optimistic. Really, cause you seemed synically pessimistic.
Putting your concerns at ease since 2008: Link to interview regarding used games
ok i know sony just announced the PS4 yesterday. thats all cool and all but what can it do or what games can it play, can it play PS3 games, PS classics like resident evil and other classic. can it do blue ray movies. if i cant play my PS3 games on it then no offence to Sony ill stick to the PS3 im happy the new system is coming out but why spend more money on a system that may or may not play blue ray movies or PS3 games. and i hope the starting price is not like when the PS3 first came out i mean $600 was way too much money for the PS3 when it first came out. so i hope the PS4 is like around $249.99 because i might ask my cousin to help me get it depends on the games that comes out for it for christmas. so Sony i know that you guys are working hard to please your gaming community and your loyal fans also do not give up on the PS3 either i know the system has been out for over 4 years but if the new PS4 doesnt do blue ray movies youll need to keep the PS3 goin for those who still love it.
Thank you for you time and hope you take my recomendation to heart and hope you guys at Sony enjoy your day.
Here's a Discussion.
The Share button. Get rid of it.
I'm a gamer, not a Tweeter. I'm all about online interactivity and integration of social media, but not on the dang controller where Select and Start should be.
Yes, I'm just one person in one message board discussion, but I feel that I speak for a lot of people. I was excited for the PS4 until I saw the Share button.
You are correct. All this integration with social media is apalling to even consider in a new console, and insulting to the consumers. The fact is most of these "features" are software based. Which means you'll be buying a Disc Drive less PS3 with a new firmware.
No, you are buying a new mother board, new CPU, new GPU, 8GB of high-speed ram, dedicate chips for gaikai powered services, new blu-ray drive, new controller. All of these bring specs improvement over the PS3 hardware. My sold point, but I still need to see it in action, is the fact that SONY has integrated gaikai and in doing so it proclaims to have solved all DLC download issues. Furthermore, not only can you cross chat but stream you game to others and, if you will, let them take control for a bit.
The specs, compared to a PC, look outdated but for a video game console they rock. It is my believe they are doing this to keep the PS4 at an accessible price.
Big words from SONY, big promises. By E3 and throughout all the other electronic conventions, SONY the pie piper better deliver.