Sackboy
470 posts

Re: The PS4 Off-Topic Area Discussion Thread

Feb 23, 2013

Is there anywhere to Pre-order yet? I want mine on launch day!

Message 121 of 144 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
7187 posts

Feb 23, 2013

MOBBDE21 wrote:

Some stores have the PS4 up on their site, but they are not taking pre orders at this time.

Message 122 of 144 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
729 posts

Re: PS4 Setting up to be most colossal fail ever

Feb 23, 2013

KnightRid wrote:

FrescanteBozak wrote:

KnightRid wrote:

Is the PS4 an advancement to the PS3, yes. Is it worth the amount of money they are asking? No. Slapping in a cheap CPU, GPU and memory does not make Next-Gen.

Holy batballs Batman!!! You know the price already? You sir must be highly connected in the industry.

Well you missed the entire point, I would re-read that if I were you because the moral of the story is, it doesn't matter what price point it is at, it is overpriced as long as it is more than $199, which it will be. I am guessing they will have a $399 version, $449 and probably one $499 or $549. Any more than that and they risj angering the fanbois who dont care about how the console works in comparison to anything else.

Sad when the only thing you can complain about is my connection to the industry. I still have not heard one person actually dismiss with fact anything i have said. I have heard the "well just turn it off" old song and dance which means absolutely nothing when most people do not want the sad features in the first place.

I feel sorry for Sony. They used to be a leader in the electronics industry and now they are trying to use their name to charge more money for inferior products. They need to hire some talented people who can help guide the company to the future and not try to rely on the past. It has to be hard for a huge corporation to look at itself and admit they are a shadow of the former company but it needs to be done, soon.

That's because I choose to listen to what top level game developers have to say, at least when it comes to the specs of the system. So far it's been universally praised by every game developer, those same ones who were complaining that the last gen has been around too long.

Photobucket
Message 123 of 144 (145 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Feb 23, 2013
Interesting showing.... But, like others I also have concerns. First off, one of the long standing traits of a PlayStation console has been compatibility with a predecessor's titles. I feel it would be a grave mistake to not have this, yes, Xbox and Nintendo have taken to ripping people off for titles they have already played, but the average ps user is not some 8yo.
I can unterstand revamping a game with updated graphics, and online features to include trophies and then selling those. But eliminating the ability to pop in any disc from previous editions we've already purchased is an insult to those consumors.
Another hallmark of pas consoles has also been the ability to do more than just play games, this is something we would like to see from the ps4. The ability to use other operating systems, to do things without having to actually hack it and violate warranties. Will we be able to upgrade our hard drives as we see fit like in The ps2 and ps3?

Thankfully the move systems from ps3 will work, along with other controllers. For the whole reverse compatibility issue of titles why not emulate the console they are from and not just contract an emulator for each title?

As for the rumors about going the way of the pc, and killing the used game market, I wouldn't mind soo much except that pc games are now costing as much as a console title, but more so, many are locked to that pc (console in this perspective) that they were installed on. Hopefully for us this will be done by installing to a main drive, and allowing backup via our a count history or cloud use. Being able to play as ourselves, from wherever we were last no matter where we physically are now is important. It sounds like that seems to be the plan for the most part.

So, what will make people want this more than it's competition? The Xbox, both of its consoles, was immediately plagued with faulty hardware, and the only title that cemented it into the gaming market was the halo franchise. What it did right, was misinformation combined with an agressive viral advertising campaign. This managed to make people ignore all the obvious flaws and lack of library, along with severely higher consumer costs in general.

What ps4 has is better hardware, better control, but will free online still be a major point or are we going to see a different sales profile? The loss of reverse compatibility also reduces available titles by about 9,000 games. And, finally, will Sony finally start making some major advertising campaigns or be subtle as usual, essentially saying "its Sony, buy it"

As for blizzard, nice, but d3??? Overhyped game, with antiquated graphics on a pay to win market, it is actually worse than the hundreds of other top down hack n slash games out there (many of which are ftp)

Butt the other titles shown were impressive. I will have some reservations about this next installment, see if if they live up to thier own standards or fall in line with the other consoles and nickel and dime people every which way for a profit. Most consumors are dumb enough to fall for things, trusting word of mouth and rumor over facts, but an informed consumer is a better one for us all.

Message 124 of 144 (139 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
33045 posts

Feb 23, 2013

chaos_789 wrote:

MOBBDE21 wrote:

Some stores have the PS4 up on their site, but they are not taking pre orders at this time.

yup. Best Buy just added a PS4 section to their online store. cant buy/pre-order anything yet. they have pretty pictures of the controller though. :smileyvery-happy:

Message 125 of 144 (135 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Feb 24, 2013

My hopes for the PS4. I know people will say this and that or argue points ect with me but I really want the PS4 and now that it can easily according to the PS4 announcement with specs ect on the 20th I hope they can port some games to the playstation that never made it before or redue some of the popular titles for PS3.

I would like to see PS4 collections of the following games like they did with PS3 for some older franchises. I would like to see all 3 Dead space games in one package, Dead Island Game of the year and riptide in a bundle, Metro 2033 & last night if they release them after THQ going out of business, and of course the killzone trilogy again, InFamous double back of 1 & 2 since we know will be getting a new series of InFamous, Resistance Trilogy and of course the Last Of Us and God Of War Collection. All of these I would like to see ported to PS4 collections on Disc not download/streaming. I really don't want to stream these games and I personally like to own a physical copy and don't want to have a brand new PS3 sitting in a box for when my other bites the dust someday just to play the old games. PC's may have some compatibility issues but you can more or less play the last 15 years of video games on them and that would be great to be able to play old and new games.

I hope online is still free, that is a trump card over microsofts pay to play, and last my personal preference is a disc tray, I prefer them personally and they are cheaper than slot loaders to some degree and this system is all about cost saving measures.

I would like to know what is going to happen to all my downloads on PSN since they aren't going to be playable supposedlly on the PS4, that is why I don't like downloads they aren't tangible and they can dissapear at any time and you are out of luck.

Message 126 of 144 (120 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Feb 24, 2013

FrescanteBozak wrote:

KnightRid wrote:

FrescanteBozak wrote:

KnightRid wrote:

Is the PS4 an advancement to the PS3, yes. Is it worth the amount of money they are asking? No. Slapping in a cheap CPU, GPU and memory does not make Next-Gen.

Holy batballs Batman!!! You know the price already? You sir must be highly connected in the industry.

Well you missed the entire point, I would re-read that if I were you because the moral of the story is, it doesn't matter what price point it is at, it is overpriced as long as it is more than $199, which it will be. I am guessing they will have a $399 version, $449 and probably one $499 or $549. Any more than that and they risj angering the fanbois who dont care about how the console works in comparison to anything else.

Sad when the only thing you can complain about is my connection to the industry. I still have not heard one person actually dismiss with fact anything i have said. I have heard the "well just turn it off" old song and dance which means absolutely nothing when most people do not want the sad features in the first place.

I feel sorry for Sony. They used to be a leader in the electronics industry and now they are trying to use their name to charge more money for inferior products. They need to hire some talented people who can help guide the company to the future and not try to rely on the past. It has to be hard for a huge corporation to look at itself and admit they are a shadow of the former company but it needs to be done, soon.

That's because I choose to listen to what top level game developers have to say, at least when it comes to the specs of the system. So far it's been universally praised by every game developer, those same ones who were complaining that the last gen has been around too long.

The only reason they are excited is due to going back to the PC architecture and making it a LOT easier to program for all the consoles and the pc without having to do extra work. Was the PS3 hard to code for? Not really, once you lerned the little nuances. Was it a pain to port games? yes. Developers had to work a bit harder or make games that just didnt work right (Skyrim anyone). The PS3 had decent enough power under the hood but it took way too long to get at it unless you developed an exclusive for the PS3 that you did not have to cheaply port to another system. Basically, other systems held the PS3 back because developers use over inflated numbers to claim how much a game cost to develop and they cant spend that much developing for every system individually, so they ported games. It is a sad and lazy practice. Now develop for a PC platform first and have consoles use the same pc architecture, then the only thing you have to do is make sure you can lower the visual quality of the game to be able to be played on the console systems.

Your "top level" developers should have explained this to you.

Message 127 of 144 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
729 posts

Feb 24, 2013

KnightRid wrote:

FrescanteBozak wrote:

KnightRid wrote:

FrescanteBozak wrote:

KnightRid wrote:

The only reason they are excited is due to going back to the PC architecture and making it a LOT easier to program for all the consoles and the pc without having to do extra work. Was the PS3 hard to code for? Not really, once you lerned the little nuances. Was it a pain to port games? yes. Developers had to work a bit harder or make games that just didnt work right (Skyrim anyone). The PS3 had decent enough power under the hood but it took way too long to get at it unless you developed an exclusive for the PS3 that you did not have to cheaply port to another system. Basically, other systems held the PS3 back because developers use over inflated numbers to claim how much a game cost to develop and they cant spend that much developing for every system individually, so they ported games. It is a sad and lazy practice. Now develop for a PC platform first and have consoles use the same pc architecture, then the only thing you have to do is make sure you can lower the visual quality of the game to be able to be played on the console systems.

Your "top level" developers should have explained this to you.

No need for them to "explain" anything to me. It's pretty apparent the only person complaining about what's under the hood is you. As I mentioned before, developers were quoted as being ecstatic with the specs (chip, memory etc.) that the PS4 has....it's a given that going back to the PC architecture made them happy. YOU complain that it's not good enough.

Photobucket
Message 128 of 144 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2481 posts

Feb 24, 2013

I will definitely get a PS4.  There's more than enough in my savings account for w/e the price will be.  But I'm in no hurry to jump into the next gen.  I still have a backlog of PS3 and PSN games to finish lol.  Only if b/c was an option, then I would consider getting it at launch.    I'll wait for ALL of the facts to come out about PS4, rather than speculate.

The announcement was pretty impressive.  It was cool to see the major 3rd parties presenting.  Not a fan of Gay-Lo, but it was cool to see Bungie there.  I thought Killzone looked pretty good.  The only "low-light" for me was the "Move" part.  Like cmon Sony, do you really think gamers care about Move anymore? lol.

Controller design:  I will miss the DS1 and DS2 design.  But I'm glad they listened to the feedback about the annoying DS3 trigger buttons.

photo 4f9f1065-23b3-4875-a40d-e36af3b1f802.jpg
#I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for what I'm not
Message 129 of 144 (100 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Feb 25, 2013

I'm probably overthinking this but I think the game developers are testing the waters right now. They are supporting the PS4 (GOOD) and Sony stated or at least I read that the foreseeable future is disc based and they wont block used games. Then you have the Xbox and this is rumor for now but they will focus on downloads and one time use discs and always on internet (yuck). I think publishers will support both just to figure out which model is more profitable. I don't know about others, but unless a game is 10 bucks or under digital downloads are too risky for me, I like to have something to hold for my money, maybe it is just me and my age but growing up if you bought something you had something to show for it. If all my PSN downloads that I spent a good few hundred bucks go bye bye because the new system doesn't support them, than that supports my theory for me to myself that downloads aren't for me.

Let's put it this way I spent 60 dollars to download all the left 4 dead content on xbox 360 with the full games all digital, then around Christmas time I spent 7.50 or so on steam for all the same content. Now loosing all the content on xbox would suck because that is a good chunk of change for a downloads. If I lost them on steam for 7.50 I could care less. I hate there is no certain model for downloading and if a service goes down in the future oh well too bad. People put too much faith in companies myself included.

Message 130 of 144 (79 Views)
0 Likes