Platinum
55494 posts

Re: Do you have your money saved already for the PS4??

Feb 22, 2013

I'm just glad you were around today brit, I'm a bit busy @ work Smiley Wink

Message 111 of 144 (144 Views)
Highlighted
PlayStation Community Manager (Retired)
4738 posts

Feb 22, 2013

Trawnza wrote:

LOLOL Smiley Very Happy

Sush!

Tempest_Fire
Ex-PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Interactive Entertainment America
Message 112 of 144 (138 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Re: The PS4 Off-Topic Area Discussion Thread

Feb 23, 2013

Hello,

My question is will the PS4 natively support keyboard and mouse?

Message 113 of 144 (124 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Keyboard and mouse

Feb 23, 2013

Hello,

Will the PS4 natively support keyboard and mouse?

Message 114 of 144 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
759 posts

Re: PS4 Setting up to be most colossal fail ever

Feb 23, 2013

KnightRid wrote:

They DID say there is no backward compatibility. They also said they are WORKING ON a solution to be able to play ps1,ps2 and ps3 games on the ps4 but that would be down the road IF they can get it to work.

8-core cpus - Bulldozer is SLOW. AMD's 8-core cpu is slower than their 6-core cpus and way slower than the Intel Core i7.

GPU - check out the Asus Ares II. PS4 is not close.

Suspend and Resume - works great till you lose power - DOH

Next -Gen to me would be a multi-chip solution that can use multi-core cpus on demand and save room for the future. It would have a GPU that could either be upgraded or have at least one empty slot to add a new GPU in the future to keep up with the demand of gaming. Lets run the PS4 at 2560x1600 resolution and see how it does. As a console gamer people tend to think 1080p is the end all of everything when it is not. How will the PS4 do on the new 4K tv sets? Hmmm...next-gen should BE next-gen. 8-core is NOW-gen, even though it is slower than it's counterparts, you can buy one right now if you want. Add more RAM. Why not have enough RAM to store the entire game and reduce load times to almost zero? They blew it by not have a MSATA or standard SSD included to do this. Next-Gen could have included a service to get your phone calls, from cell or regular, right through the system while you are playing with using a headset. How about a way to get a DirecTV (or other encrypted provider) signal to pass into the PS4 and record shows to use it as a DVR without having to pay the ridiculous fees from companies? How about a way to hook a small box to each tv in the house and be able to move to a different room and continue playing your game (not on the Vita's small screen either). How about a virtual keyboard that would show from the new controller so you could use email, web, etc without the horribly small keyboard or trying to go through the alphabet with the stick? How about a HUD display beamed up from the controllerthat could accept input by just touching the air, like a keyboard beamed on to a surface? These are not super futuristic ideas but they are ideas that could be implemented today if Next-Gen were a true goal. Heck a controller with OLED, like the Vita, that would be rolled inside the controller until you pulled it apart to use it as a remote play device, without needing a Vita.

I build computers and I see how many 8-core systems are built, hardly any. Why? They are slower than the 4-core from Intel with 8-core virtualization. I see how often true gamers want to upgrade video hardware to push resolutions and quality, something you cant do on the PS3 or PS4.

You look at the PS4 and see something that is beyond what the PS3 was and you are right. I look at it and see cheap parts put together to play at 1080p resolution max while forcing un-needed fluff down our throats. Sure you may be able to turn it off but why not add features that are useful instead.

Is the PS4 an advancement to the PS3, yes. Is it worth the amount of money they are asking? No. Slapping in a cheap CPU, GPU and memory does not make Next-Gen.

Holy batballs Batman!!! You know the price already? You sir must be highly connected in the industry.

Photobucket
Message 115 of 144 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7248 posts

Feb 23, 2013
Since trawnza hasnt told us "its" name, I suppose we have to assume its a guy?
energy
Message 116 of 144 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2853 posts

Feb 23, 2013

Speedy24xmax wrote:

Thank you Paul

I have a question in general to the public.

Do you guys think that Our PSN name will carry over to the PS4 or will we have to create new usernames?

Will trophies carry over?? I know this will probably be revealed at E3 but I am just curious.

like the dude duck360 does he kiss his 23,000 trophies goodbye?

or the guy BIELERIC with his 34,000? 

Just wondering

I think our PSN ID's will carry over. If you watch the meeting it shows a quick glimpse of what our profile pages will look like and it shows trophies. The trophies, as far as icons go, look exactly the way they look now. So based off of that I'm assuming they'll keep our current username and information. We'll see though.

Message 117 of 144 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11498 posts

Feb 23, 2013

I hope the bottom of the new controller isn't rubber, does anyone know?

LastShot-
Message 118 of 144 (91 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Feb 23, 2013

FrescanteBozak wrote:

KnightRid wrote:

They DID say there is no backward compatibility. They also said they are WORKING ON a solution to be able to play ps1,ps2 and ps3 games on the ps4 but that would be down the road IF they can get it to work.

8-core cpus - Bulldozer is SLOW. AMD's 8-core cpu is slower than their 6-core cpus and way slower than the Intel Core i7.

GPU - check out the Asus Ares II. PS4 is not close.

Suspend and Resume - works great till you lose power - DOH

Next -Gen to me would be a multi-chip solution that can use multi-core cpus on demand and save room for the future. It would have a GPU that could either be upgraded or have at least one empty slot to add a new GPU in the future to keep up with the demand of gaming. Lets run the PS4 at 2560x1600 resolution and see how it does. As a console gamer people tend to think 1080p is the end all of everything when it is not. How will the PS4 do on the new 4K tv sets? Hmmm...next-gen should BE next-gen. 8-core is NOW-gen, even though it is slower than it's counterparts, you can buy one right now if you want. Add more RAM. Why not have enough RAM to store the entire game and reduce load times to almost zero? They blew it by not have a MSATA or standard SSD included to do this. Next-Gen could have included a service to get your phone calls, from cell or regular, right through the system while you are playing with using a headset. How about a way to get a DirecTV (or other encrypted provider) signal to pass into the PS4 and record shows to use it as a DVR without having to pay the ridiculous fees from companies? How about a way to hook a small box to each tv in the house and be able to move to a different room and continue playing your game (not on the Vita's small screen either). How about a virtual keyboard that would show from the new controller so you could use email, web, etc without the horribly small keyboard or trying to go through the alphabet with the stick? How about a HUD display beamed up from the controllerthat could accept input by just touching the air, like a keyboard beamed on to a surface? These are not super futuristic ideas but they are ideas that could be implemented today if Next-Gen were a true goal. Heck a controller with OLED, like the Vita, that would be rolled inside the controller until you pulled it apart to use it as a remote play device, without needing a Vita.

I build computers and I see how many 8-core systems are built, hardly any. Why? They are slower than the 4-core from Intel with 8-core virtualization. I see how often true gamers want to upgrade video hardware to push resolutions and quality, something you cant do on the PS3 or PS4.

You look at the PS4 and see something that is beyond what the PS3 was and you are right. I look at it and see cheap parts put together to play at 1080p resolution max while forcing un-needed fluff down our throats. Sure you may be able to turn it off but why not add features that are useful instead.

Is the PS4 an advancement to the PS3, yes. Is it worth the amount of money they are asking? No. Slapping in a cheap CPU, GPU and memory does not make Next-Gen.

Holy batballs Batman!!! You know the price already? You sir must be highly connected in the industry.

Well you missed the entire point, I would re-read that if I were you because the moral of the story is, it doesn't matter what price point it is at, it is overpriced as long as it is more than $199, which it will be. I am guessing they will have a $399 version, $449 and probably one $499 or $549. Any more than that and they risj angering the fanbois who dont care about how the console works in comparison to anything else.

Sad when the only thing you can complain about is my connection to the industry. I still have not heard one person actually dismiss with fact anything i have said. I have heard the "well just turn it off" old song and dance which means absolutely nothing when most people do not want the sad features in the first place.

I feel sorry for Sony. They used to be a leader in the electronics industry and now they are trying to use their name to charge more money for inferior products. They need to hire some talented people who can help guide the company to the future and not try to rely on the past. It has to be hard for a huge corporation to look at itself and admit they are a shadow of the former company but it needs to be done, soon.

Message 119 of 144 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
680 posts

Feb 23, 2013
I think Sony has really embraced this whole image of it's products being for the niche and the rich. Hardcore gamers, videophiles and enthusiast seem to be the PS4's main market and I think it's price will reflect that. The PS Vita could very well transition to being extension of the system. Sort of how a lot of iPhone owners also have an iPad. PlayStation Mobile might be Sony's only ambassador to the casual gamer.
Message 120 of 144 (73 Views)
0 Likes