Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Re: PS4 Setting up to be most colossal fail ever

Feb 22, 2013
Very nice! I posted something as well to that person but not nearly well written.
Message 91 of 144 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15344 posts

Re: Wow PS4 but dont know what it can play or what games it has.

Feb 22, 2013

Ledis15 wrote:

I'd be shocked if blu ray is not on the PS4, but other than that they're most likely going to announce more stuff around E3. 

Sony released specs that listed an optical drive with 6x Blu Ray, I don't recall the exact wording.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 92 of 144 (183 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 22, 2013

InfinityCG wrote:

From what I've been able to gather so far from the really vague information that's been given, I am afraid for the PlayStation's future.  Several reasons for this:

1.  No disc drive?  Download only?  This basically screws everyone that has been a PS fan since the beginning.  First of all, I own lots of PS1 games.  I want to just be able to pop one in and play if I feel like it.  I'd be willing to shell out a few extra bucks for that capability.  Instead, they're going to offer PSN downloads of POPULAR games (have a niche title you love but is not in the download list on PSN?  Sorry for your luck.)  Second and worst of all, if I want to play FFVII or Metal Gear Solid, I have to BUY THE DOWNLOAD even though I already have the game sitting over here on my shelf?  Where is the payback for those of us who have been loyal to Sony since the start?  I bought my first PS back in 96 with my very first income tax return check from my dishwashing job at 17 years old, and have never played anything else but a Sony console since.  I waited in line at 3 in the morning for the PS2, went through the disc read error crap with 2 different consoles, and have never even thought about buying a Nintendo or Microsoft.  Is this how you repay your fans?

2.  This thing with the downloadable games brings up another problem, even with a TB hard drive, you could only have a limited amount of content on your console at any one time before you would have to go thru and decide what to delete so you can download something else.  And then what if you want to play what you downloaded before again?  I'm sure it won't be infinitely downloadable as many times as you want.  What's going to happen to used games?  That's obvious.  I'm sorry Sony, but some games are good enough to warrant a buy and play for a few weeks, but not shelling out 60 bucks for.  Only the true classics are worth that, and let's face it, innovation is slowly but surely grounding to a halt.  Skylanders is honestly the most innovative thing that has come out in years.  Everything else is just (Insert franchise name here) 2, 3, 4, (insert gimmicky extra title here, ex. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, etc.)...fresh ideas are running out.  We need to be able to have other options.  Forcing us to do things your way or the highway is a recipe for failure.

3.  What happens when the hard drive inevitably fails?  What about network failures that could possibly corrupt streaming content or online game saves?  What's the backup plan for this?  Hope you guys learned your lesson from the PSN debacle.

4.  When one of the "groundbreaking" features is a partnership with Facebook, that's legitimate reason to worry.  Anyone remember MySpace?  Social networking sites come and go, and anybody that uses FB I'm sure can see the similarities in MS starting to pop up:  people whining and crying and moaning too much, WAAAAY too much sharing of photos and music videos and crap like that, FB is ROCKETING downhill...in short, it's not going to be around forever.  (I would be willing to bet a max of 1-2 more years.)

5.  Another "groundbreaking" feature is the sharing of gameplay footage?  I could care less about this.  Maybe some people do, but this should be a niche detail feature, not one of the consoles major selling points.  That concerns me.  I just cannot picture many people in todays rushing world sitting down in front of their $500 gaming machine to watch what their friends did earlier in their game.  That's what YouTube is for.

6.  Other features are just rehashes of stuff that was released in this gen.  PS4+PSVita basically= WiiU...motion sensors, been there done that, is ok at times WITH friends, but that's about it.  If they're going to go this route, it needs to go a step further and do a Kinect type "your body IS the controller" feature BUILT IN, not an extra you have to pay for.  

7.  Believe it or not, there are still plenty of people out there who either live in areas that do not have suitable gaming quality internet (or no internet at all) or can't afford it, and it seems that the move is finally being made to basically disregard the single player experience in favor of online net gaming.  This is going to eliminate a lot of buyers who simply don't have the means to do it, even if they want to.

8.  Sony's strategy is seemingly counting on the people that buy this console are absolute gaming freaks who live and breathe games and don't do anything else in their spare time (not to mention spend time with the wife/gf/bf/husband/kids/go out with friends on Friday night, etc.)...also, that everyone has large amounts of friends who are gaming freaks AND have the console as well.  In today's world, the average adult just doesn't have the time to invest this much money in something that seemingly assumes we have a lot more spare time than we do when you throw in full time jobs, college, family time, etc. and those that have the spare time probably don't have the money (kids).

9.  I personally DO NOT WANT my PS to download stuff for me it THINKS I will like.  This is kind of like the "buy something, we'll keep sending it to you until you cancel" thing that annoys the heck out of me in the real world.  This "feature" better be able to be turned off.

This and other smaller details that I'm sure will come out later (These concerns are just my "off the top of my head" FIRST IMPRESSIONS) have me very nervous about the next gen, this could possibly be the end of the line if it fails, and Sony seems to be willing to make some huge gambles here.  It's been a fun ride so far, but I must say with us already fast approaching the end of February and the console set to debut at the end of this year, Sony seriously needs to go in detail about this thing and set our minds at ease about our concerns.  Let's face it, the economy sucks and most of us just don't have mountains of money to blow on video games anymore.  They're going to have to prove to me it's going to be worth it to basically start all over from scratch like the first 3 Playstations basically never existed and be at the top of their game right out of the gate.  Here's hoping it goes well, but I'm being VERY cautiously optimistic.

exactly my sentiments :

the PS3 was my first console bought w/ my own money. built up my games library too. and then this ps4 comes along saying, "not really backwards compatible...unless you re-buy your old games online"...are they f...ing kidding me? i'm seriously looking forward to the 3k3y BD emu coz at least that may survive > 10yrs where the BD drive wouldn't. i'm on 4.3x slim 3012 btw...i think i'll pass on ps4

the PS1 B/C is already a given, i think...since it is the easiest to emulate Smiley Happy

Message 93 of 144 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
78 posts

Re: My Review of Ps4

Feb 22, 2013
Hardware: 1tb it cost around $80 on sale bestbuy. If you put this to ps4 $450 or $500 bundle + 1Tb= $550 & $600 bundle PS4. I think PS4 will be 500Gb.
Controller: touch pad is for select & start and in game extra buttons . Very useful and smart . Stick was not concave but rather added with ring on top so finger won't slip. I think I will not get any blister on my finger like Xbox s stick is bad.
Message 94 of 144 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
78 posts

Feb 22, 2013
Watch the NYC meeting on ign then wait for E3 because PS4 got blu ray and so nextbox 720, backward compatible from ps1 to vita soon. Super computer than PC and cheaper. Most of all nextbox 720 can't even touch the surface of PS4 Orbis because its super and BEYOND true 1080p to 4k and Bungie halo is making Destiny with exclusive stuff for PS4 . So BEYOND
Message 95 of 144 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
78 posts

Re: Sony PS4 reveal. My response !

Feb 22, 2013
I 4 u hardcore gamer. Hope SONY is reading here. ID separate account name and gamer tag name for ability to change name. Trophies : tell the game developers to stop making the trophies hard to get like playing 2 to 3 times just to get platinum. There's a lot of good games that deserve our time.
Message 96 of 144 (134 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Feb 22, 2013

They DID say there is no backward compatibility. They also said they are WORKING ON a solution to be able to play ps1,ps2 and ps3 games on the ps4 but that would be down the road IF they can get it to work.

8-core cpus - Bulldozer is SLOW. AMD's 8-core cpu is slower than their 6-core cpus and way slower than the Intel Core i7.

GPU - check out the Asus Ares II. PS4 is not close.

Suspend and Resume - works great till you lose power - DOH

Next -Gen to me would be a multi-chip solution that can use multi-core cpus on demand and save room for the future. It would have a GPU that could either be upgraded or have at least one empty slot to add a new GPU in the future to keep up with the demand of gaming. Lets run the PS4 at 2560x1600 resolution and see how it does. As a console gamer people tend to think 1080p is the end all of everything when it is not. How will the PS4 do on the new 4K tv sets? Hmmm...next-gen should BE next-gen. 8-core is NOW-gen, even though it is slower than it's counterparts, you can buy one right now if you want. Add more RAM. Why not have enough RAM to store the entire game and reduce load times to almost zero? They blew it by not have a MSATA or standard SSD included to do this. Next-Gen could have included a service to get your phone calls, from cell or regular, right through the system while you are playing with using a headset. How about a way to get a DirecTV (or other encrypted provider) signal to pass into the PS4 and record shows to use it as a DVR without having to pay the ridiculous fees from companies? How about a way to hook a small box to each tv in the house and be able to move to a different room and continue playing your game (not on the Vita's small screen either). How about a virtual keyboard that would show from the new controller so you could use email, web, etc without the horribly small keyboard or trying to go through the alphabet with the stick? How about a HUD display beamed up from the controllerthat could accept input by just touching the air, like a keyboard beamed on to a surface? These are not super futuristic ideas but they are ideas that could be implemented today if Next-Gen were a true goal. Heck a controller with OLED, like the Vita, that would be rolled inside the controller until you pulled it apart to use it as a remote play device, without needing a Vita.

I build computers and I see how many 8-core systems are built, hardly any. Why? They are slower than the 4-core from Intel with 8-core virtualization. I see how often true gamers want to upgrade video hardware to push resolutions and quality, something you cant do on the PS3 or PS4.

You look at the PS4 and see something that is beyond what the PS3 was and you are right. I look at it and see cheap parts put together to play at 1080p resolution max while forcing un-needed fluff down our throats. Sure you may be able to turn it off but why not add features that are useful instead.

Is the PS4 an advancement to the PS3, yes. Is it worth the amount of money they are asking? No. Slapping in a cheap CPU, GPU and memory does not make Next-Gen.

Message 97 of 144 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8267 posts

Re: Do you have your money saved already for the PS4??

Feb 22, 2013

Stage_Coach wrote:
Just did some thread merging for PS4 topics. Really sorry if some of the conversations got jumbled up a bit Smiley Tongue

Its all good Thats what we have the quote button for thanks!

Message 98 of 144 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Feb 22, 2013

This merging topics together is really confusing. There should be only one topic so someone could follow these PS4 conversations

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 99 of 144 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8267 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 22, 2013

havocsarmy wrote:

This merging topics together is really confusing. There should be only one topic so someone could follow these PS4 conversations

I disagree

Yesterday OT was full of PS4 threads...

and partially still is

Message 100 of 144 (202 Views)
0 Likes