Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Re: The POLYBIUS conspiracy

May 10, 2013

Cyb3rfr34k-iso wrote:

really interresting video! thanks mate~

Yes, it is,This story has been around a while...no one can definitively say if its real or just the gaming equivalent to big-foot.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 11 of 17 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

[ Edited ]
May 11, 2013

This video explains it. (theres a part 2 and I think a part 3)

Such things lie in certain people, which is mostly from people who are susceptible to epilepsy. Flashing certain image patterns and even colors and light can affect such people, which leads to hypnosis. But hypnosis does not inherently lead to criminal acts or self-mutilation without VERBAL interaction.

The whole notion of mind-control, insomnia, and suicide, that the video mentions cannot be solved because they're playing on an urban legend. Sort of.

There is no quantifiable proof, that such things can cause any sort of mental illness that causes people to become unstable, experience insomnia, or commit suicide, without fully knowning the mental health of the particular person.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 12 of 17 (68 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

[ Edited ]
May 11, 2013

What the...those people just let him drag their friend off...and casually go with him...haha...what?

And, after watching part 2...it looks pretty fake what they're doing.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 13 of 17 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

May 11, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

What the...those people just let him drag their friend off...and casually go with him...haha...what?

And, after watching part 2...it looks pretty fake what they're doing.

As TV shows and most conspiracy theory videos are....

But it does set the precedence that there are people who are susceptible to patterns which can cause them to be hypnotized like the video i posted suggests.

I know of a few friends of mine who are EASILY hypnotized, but not easily manipulated, and others who are easily manipulated but unable to by hypnotized. I only have this anecdote because we were all part of local college research project about the validity of "mind kontrol" or MK-Ultra, especially under the context that nearly every conspiracy theory about out government...

Which nearly debunks the whole thing, as there is SOME truth in "programming" someone to be able to do or not do certain things and even get rid of fears or instill fears (like fear of heights or arachnophobia for example)..... similar to how we indoctrinate our own children, only in a more traumatic example.

The ultimate notion that ANYONE can be programmed a certain way is not possible, UNLESS the individual WANTS to be programmed. Its nothing but a game of will-power for the most part.

I read a few books on people being "controlled".... and even seen their interviews. One such person "admits" that she committed murder/assassinations.... except its clearly debunked because there are SO MANY holes in the story as it keeps changing, and theres no actual validity to it and no evidence of such thing taking place.
Similar to the sleep walking theories.

Ever seen that movie "The Manchurian Candidate" ? Exact premise.... 

But the common flaw in such is that there is always someone that has to be around for such things to happen because even the simplest action of a hypnotized individual needs constant verbal direction.
Its not something that can be "programmed" into the person when in a disassociative or trancelike mental state and then triggered later on (days, months, years) by a few simple word combinations or specific video etc etc.

Its not THAT easy as snapping your fingers and saying a keyword.

The human brain is only as powerful as the will of the individual. 

Similar to how "The Force" works "only on the weak minded" in the Star Wars movies/universe.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 14 of 17 (57 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

May 11, 2013

Very cool video. I never heard of this Polybius before but all the CIA stuff and MK Ultra I've researched quite a bit for the last 6 or 7 years. It's a major reason why I don't trust the American government, but that's a different story.

The second video posted I didn't watch yet as I have to leave for the day but when I get back I will check it out and post a comment.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 15 of 17 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1472 posts

May 11, 2013

My thought on the video is that with such a large amount of effort in the Polybius backstory it could be an exciting and fresh base to create an action-thriller game from.  Add in a few touches of comedy, traditional-style stories arcs, and things like characters that do not relate to the player's storyline to balance out as well as boost the thriller aspect and I think it could be a fairly great game.  

They could offer a 'believer' addition where the packaging could include tinfoil and directions on how to make a hat.  Smiley Tongue  

OH MAN!  What if the new PS camera could somehow visually detect tinfoil and had facial recognition - that way it could tell if players are wearing the hat.  Then there could be portions of the game, dialogue options, or other items that change when a tinfoil hat is detected.  

Greatest game ever? 

Message 16 of 17 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

May 11, 2013

haha, thats funny.

My thoughts on the Polybius mythos has always been, there is a pretty innocent explanation. I'm sure the game existed at some point...was a very old version of some astroids style game, and gave some kids seizures, thus, the game was pulled and never seen again, because by the time they fixed it, it was simply released as another game.

There is another theory that nintendo worked on it as well...and that the head guy at Nintendo (blanking the name right now) when asked about it, never comments.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 17 of 17 (42 Views)
0 Likes