Oct 03 2012
By: moblesuit75 Treasure Hunter 4421 posts
Accepted Solution

The PILE ON approach to Forum Discussions

5 replies 124 views Edited Oct 3, 2012

Hello all;

While having a heated discussion in another forum, it came to my attention.  

Why are some members so adamant about their particular sector, we will call it,  that they begin to pile on with negativity?  I can see where my ideas or other's ideas can be seen as negative to that sector,  when the idea goes to the point of drastically changing something in a certain genre.  That aside, it almost always seems to break down into immaturity.

I though Forums were to exchange ideas.  Some responses can counter the point being made, in a civilized manner.  Others just degrade into name tossing and nitpicking.  Questioning the poster's resolve, dedication to the gaming world, their character, and on occasion their morals, goes beyond the scope of mature debate.

I still hold to the idea, if someone is posting something you don't agree with, by all means let it be known.  Don't spend an eternity throwing disparagement back and forth.  Make a point and get on with it.  Now if any poster is being degrading in an unacceptable manner, then that is worthy of chastising.  

The Forum is here for ideas and counter views to what is within the realm of PlayStation.  If someone offers an idea, you shouldn't need to take them to task on it.  Read the post, make a comment or not, but prolonging the argument with petty quips is just a waste of time.  

I will be the first to admit, I have done it.  

I am just wondering what it is that makes us pile on?

Moble

Message 1 of 6 (124 Views)
Lombax Warrior
160 posts

Re: The PILE ON approach to Forum Discussions

Oct 3, 2012

I had a similar experience in an IGN forum where I replied to an old post regarding the name of a certain game they had played at an arcade. I thought I was being helpful, but instead I got bombarded by insults from old time members. I was even threatened to be banned by the moderator for "Trolling". 

I don't know what makes people do this, you are right. Forums are places to learn, exchange ideas, and help each other out. Everyone's comment should be respected.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 6 (111 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
40006 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 3, 2012

Moble, you have no idea what you're talking about, the topic is stupid & you're only adding to the arguments, I really thought better of you, what the hell were you thinking creating a Thread like this, it's madness, have you been drinking or something, are you on drugs, were you dropped as a child?....geeezzzzz!

Okay did I get your attention?

Okay back to being serious lol, I think we have all been guilty to some extent or another to doing exactly what you're referring to in your OP, sometimes it just happens, sometimes people will blatantly "go after someone else because it goes against everything they believe in, sometimes they just got out of bed the wrong side, had an argument with their wife or girl/boyfriend or just hadn't had enough coffee that day yet, there are many reasons.

I myself really "ripped" into someone once, I went away, came back, realized I had been a complete & utter ********* & apologized unreservedly to them, it was the right thing to do.

Don't get me wrong I have no time whatsoever for "trolls" & people who just come on here & "rant" that Sony broke their PS3, stole their money, took the will to live away from them for something that has happened, I will as you already know not suffer fools gladly.

Having said all that I enjoy a good discussion, I really do, having differing views is good, it's what kind of makes the world go around, if we were all the same & agreed with everyone else it would be a very boring world indeed.

Forums, these Forums in particular are generally where people to come to because they have a problem or a question about the PS1, 2, 3, PSP, Vita etc, so to those first timers their first experience here needs to be a positive one, sometimes it is not, & yes people come to Forums to discuss things, debate things even & yes sometimes we disagree, that's life, but I would like to think I would not go to the lengths some people go to when responding to others within the Forum, sometimes it makes me so mad, on the other side if someone is saying something I know to be untrue & is sticking with their view the I will "push" a little harder, but never to the extent that some do.

I've made some good friends in the time I have been here, most of the people on my friends list are from here, they are good people who have a lot to offer both the Forums in general & to me personally if I need to ask them something.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 3 of 6 (108 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Oct 4, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

Moble, you have no idea what you're talking about, the topic is stupid & you're only adding to the arguments, I really thought better of you, what the hell were you thinking creating a Thread like this, it's madness, have you been drinking or something, are you on drugs, were you dropped as a child?....geeezzzzz!

Okay back to being serious lol, I think we have all been guilty to some extent or another to doing exactly what you're referring to in your OP, sometimes it just happens, sometimes people will blatantly "go after someone else because it goes against everything they believe in, sometimes they just got out of bed the wrong side, had an argument with their wife or girl/boyfriend or just hadn't had enough coffee that day yet, there are many reasons.

I myself really "ripped" into someone once, I went away, came back, realized I had been a complete & utter ********* & apologized unreservedly to them, it was the right thing to do.

Don't get me wrong I have no time whatsoever for "trolls" & people who just come on here & "rant" that Sony broke their PS3, stole their money, took the will to live away from them for something that has happened, I will as you already know not suffer fools gladly.

Having said all that I enjoy a good discussion, I really do, having differing views is good, it's what kind of makes the world go around, if we were all the same & agreed with everyone else it would be a very boring world indeed.

Forums, these Forums in particular are generally where people to come to because they have a problem or a question about the PS1, 2, 3, PSP, Vita etc, so to those first timers their first experience here needs to be a positive one, sometimes it is not, & yes people come to Forums to discuss things, debate things even & yes sometimes we disagree, that's life, but I would like to think I would not go to the lengths some people go to when responding to others within the Forum, sometimes it makes me so mad, on the other side if someone is saying something I know to be untrue & is sticking with their view the I will "push" a little harder, but never to the extent that some do.

I've made some good friends in the time I have been here, most of the people on my friends list are from here, they are good people who have a lot to offer both the Forums in general & to me personally if I need to ask them something.

BRIT, you scared me for a second there, LOL.  But you are absolutely correct.  You are definitely a shining example of the kind of members the Forum should have.  In my original experience, you were there with friendly advice, while other "piled on".  I am grateful for that, and I thank you.

Moble

Message 4 of 6 (81 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8267 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 4, 2012

Ill agree with that Brit is a excellent member....

As for me I try to be helpful when I can, I learn alot here on the forums I give advise sometimes not always right but there would be wonderful people here to correct me so I am always learning.

Yes there can be some rude people at times but its how you handle it... me personally I just ignore them and let them continue with there life.

I view everyone here as equal.... Why? because everyone is entitled to their own opinions as well as being a member here... a person with say 1 post will get equal respect from me as to a person with 11,111.

Anyway with all of that I do hope to see everyone get along but sometimes thats not the case there is 1 or 2 that would aim at just derailing a topic 

Anyway everyone just my Smiley

have a great day pplz

Message 5 of 6 (79 Views)
Highlighted
MVP Support
40006 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 4, 2012

moblesuit75 wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

BRIT, you scared me for a second there, LOL.  But you are absolutely correct.  You are definitely a shining example of the kind of members the Forum should have.  In my original experience, you were there with friendly advice, while other "piled on".  I am grateful for that, and I thank you.

Moble

Sorry, couldn't help myself Smiley Tongue.

To both you & Speedy, thank you too.

Speedy has always been there for advice, to have some fun with & maybe even some good-natured teasing too, we get on well, Moble, although new to the Forums, without trying to sound condescending you're a good addition to have around, I know you didn't have the best of starts here but hopefully over the past days & weeks you have seen that some of us can indeed be decent, helpful & never afraid to reach out & apologize if the need arises.

Okay, now back to that drug taking & being dropped as a child thing....

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 6 of 6 (71 Views)