Reply
Sackboy
Registered: 06/26/2013
Offline
569 posts
 

Re: The Nintendo Wii U continues to sell poorly

[ Edited ]
Oct 31, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

teeborg wrote:

A new IP in the last 15 years wouldn't have hurt.

 

I don't know, I like the Wiis (for what they cost). Hated the N64 & Gamecube. Hurt just to even look at those eye sores.


You like the Wiis...but hated the Gamecube and N64?

 

The Wii/Wii U had a designated audience- the casual market. The Gamecube and N64 aimed at the Nintendo fans (the casual market had not arisen yet). The N64 and Gamecube have a ton of great games that wer enew and exciting (some of which are now cult-classics).

 

The Wii had some gems, but it was focused on young kids which meant only some first party games went outside the basic formulas for the key franchises.


The N64 was definitely aiming for the younger demographic with their cartoonish looking games and garish controllers. Nintendo was well known for their stance on mature themes even back in the Genesis day when Mortal Kombat had no blood in the Snes version.

 

Survival horror and JRPG genres were very popular in the late 90s, and the N64 did absolutely nothing to attract those fans.

 

Ugly console, ugly controllers, ugly box art, and outside of a handful of titles, a boring library that paled in comparison to the PS1.


sig by Grindhead_Jim
Message 31 of 52 (122 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14623 posts
 

Re: The Nintendo Wii U continues to sell poorly

[ Edited ]
Oct 31, 2013

teeborg wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

teeborg wrote:

A new IP in the last 15 years wouldn't have hurt.

 

I don't know, I like the Wiis (for what they cost). Hated the N64 & Gamecube. Hurt just to even look at those eye sores.


You like the Wiis...but hated the Gamecube and N64?

 

The Wii/Wii U had a designated audience- the casual market. The Gamecube and N64 aimed at the Nintendo fans (the casual market had not arisen yet). The N64 and Gamecube have a ton of great games that wer enew and exciting (some of which are now cult-classics).

 

The Wii had some gems, but it was focused on young kids which meant only some first party games went outside the basic formulas for the key franchises.


The N64 was definitely aiming for the younger demographic with their cartoonish looking games and garish controllers. Nintendo was well known for their stance on mature themes even back in the Genesis day when Mortal Kombat had no blood in the Snes version.

 

Survival horror and JRPG genres were very popular in the late 90s, and the N64 did absolutely nothing to attract those fans.


And Wii was even worse! While the Nintendo 64 was kid-friendly, it did not have the "for kids" vibe. And I believe my copy of Mortal Kombat 4 on the N64 had plenty of blood featured

 

And the JRPG thing is not Nintendo's fault. The SNES had plenty of JRPGs. The N64 simply did not have as much. It was not Nintendo. It was the publishers. Square was putting them on the PS1. And the disc format was a big reason if I recall.

 

Survival horror was not even a genre until the 90s, so there was not that large of an audience to pull in.


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 32 of 52 (117 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 06/26/2013
Offline
569 posts
 

Re: The Nintendo Wii U continues to sell poorly

[ Edited ]
Oct 31, 2013

Oh yeah, the lack of any FMVs too. Don't remind me.

 

 

Kind of bizarre how Nintendo hasn't tried to give the Wii U a shot in the arm with HD versions of ds games. I mean, 2nd (touch) screen...seems like it would be pretty obvious.


sig by Grindhead_Jim
Message 33 of 52 (107 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 12/17/2004
Offline
22834 posts
 

Re: The Nintendo Wii U continues to sell poorly

Oct 31, 2013

Juan1992 wrote:

I think Nintendo should just make another console but that would just make the Wii U one of the most pointless platforms ever made and they'd lose plenty of money. I don' t know what's worse the Wii U or the Virtual Boy.


they did manage to sell 3.9 millions ..

 

so maybe it's not time yet..

 


the wii us is  in its on category...  while the ps4 and xbox1 are in the same category..

 

to some gamers they don't even consider the wii u this time around.. like the last gen with the wii..

 

i guess for those you have the money and like the graphic..   we have PC gaming..

 

for those with less amount of cash but like the grahic.. we have consoese PS4  and Xbox 1..

 

and the wii u is in the category by itself

 

 

just my 2 cents..     i could be wrong..   :/

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 34 of 52 (94 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 01/23/2013
Offline
543 posts
 

Re: The Nintendo Wii U continues to sell poorly

Oct 31, 2013
all they needed is a couple of good games, hopefully smash bros boosts their sales next year. the only games i would buy would be WW HD, MH Tri U, mario 3D(would prefer a new galaxy though) which isnt enough =/
 photo ak0mq_zpsbdfaa4d4.gif
Message 35 of 52 (94 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 05/22/2013
Offline
13881 posts
 

Re: The Nintendo Wii U continues to sell poorly

[ Edited ]
Nov 1, 2013

Litsa_Kardassis wrote:
Open world Pokemon RPG. You are welcome for the millions of consoles sold, Nintendo.

Oh heck yea. That would be one really nice game. I'd love to play a game like that. Also being able to develop your characters similar to what you can do in Fable would be kind of cool too. You'd get to choose between being a trainer, a Pokémon Breeder, or a member of Team Rocket, or whatever they'd decide to call the team.


Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 36 of 52 (77 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 05/08/2008
Offline
778 posts
 

Re: The Nintendo Wii U continues to sell poorly

Nov 1, 2013

I really do hope it picks up after Mario Kart 8 comes around. It's a really neat system, but Nintendo isn't marketing it right.


Follow me!
Twitter Twitch
Message 37 of 52 (69 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 05/22/2013
Offline
13881 posts
 

Re: The Nintendo Wii U continues to sell poorly

Nov 1, 2013

Sarobi wrote:

I really do hope it picks up after Mario Kart 8 comes around. It's a really neat system, but Nintendo isn't marketing it right.


Yea they really need to market it out to more than just casual gamers and nostalgic ones.


Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 38 of 52 (68 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 05/08/2008
Offline
778 posts
 

Re: The Nintendo Wii U continues to sell poorly

Nov 1, 2013

Box9Missingo wrote:

Sarobi wrote:

I really do hope it picks up after Mario Kart 8 comes around. It's a really neat system, but Nintendo isn't marketing it right.


Yea they really need to market it out to more than just casual gamers and nostalgic ones.


The fact that some people still think it's just an add-on to the original Wii.. just shows they need to do more with it. I was literally in shock when a friend told me not long ago that he had no idea Wii U was a whole new console.


Follow me!
Twitter Twitch
Message 39 of 52 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 05/22/2013
Offline
13881 posts
 

Re: The Nintendo Wii U continues to sell poorly

Nov 1, 2013

Sarobi wrote:

Box9Missingo wrote:

Sarobi wrote:

I really do hope it picks up after Mario Kart 8 comes around. It's a really neat system, but Nintendo isn't marketing it right.


Yea they really need to market it out to more than just casual gamers and nostalgic ones.


The fact that some people still think it's just an add-on to the original Wii.. just shows they need to do more with it. I was literally in shock when a friend told me not long ago that he had no idea Wii U was a whole new console.


Didn't know that people thought that. But I can kind of see how they might... it does look similar to the Wii. Will be getting one myself someday. For what it's worth. Hopefully things will start to look up for it. It would be a shame if it didn't work out. There are some innovative things that can be done to make games more immersive in terms of the gamepad.

 

Like if you're playing an RPG, you can have the menu take place in the gamepad itself, or have that be available as an option.


Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 40 of 52 (63 Views)
Reply
0 Likes