Dec 05 2012
By: BRIT-KO MVP Support 39470 posts

The New York Post, right, wrong, something else?

21 replies 290 views Edited Dec 5, 2012

Some of you may have heard of the terrible news when, after an altercation with a "deranged man" a man was on Monday pushed to his death in front of a New York Subway train.

The front page of today's New York Post looked like this:

The front page above shows Mr.. Han trying to climb up from the tracks, seconds later he was dead.

The front page above has sparked outrage from some quarters, outrage at both the photographer for not helping Mr.. Han, the victim & at the New York Post for using it.

Personally I don't think I can lay blame on the photographer, at least not only on the photographer, there were a number of others on that platform too on Monday, they were either all guilty of not helping or they were not.

Whether the new York Post was right to carry the picture or not I just cannot decide, is it news, yes, 100%, but should the dignity of the man who perished & his grieving family be put before that?, I'm torn on that particular point.

Help me out here a little, what are your thoughts on this terrible incident & on the actions or not as you see them of the photographer & the decision of the New York Post to carry the picture?

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 1 of 22 (290 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30942 posts

Re: The New York Post, right, wrong, something else?

Dec 5, 2012

Not surprised they used the picture for the front page. It's shocking and controversial and it probably sold like crazy (which, in a dying media, probably made their day). 

I see the photographer as just doing his job. This story is probably burried on page infinity without this picture. I probably would not have used the picture without the family's permission myself but for reasons stated above, I see why they did it. It's a very interesting photo... Kind of mesmerising... Seeing a man staring down death and being helpless... 

And regarding the other people on the platform, I can't really condemn them as I don't even know what I would have done in that situation. I have a fear of subway platforms and going to the edge creeps me out. 

Message 2 of 22 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Dec 5, 2012

DUMB! ONLY NY. NO respect for the family!

Message 3 of 22 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42128 posts

Dec 5, 2012
I kind of have a problem with the media when they do stuff like this just to make a big story. Stuff that should be personal and kept private out of respect or run past the families of people/victims first. I think I just have a distaste for reporters and such though and I'm not sure if that stems from movies where you see reporters and the like pretty much disregarding decency just for a story ("The people have a right to know"). Eh.

As for the photographer and the other people on the platform...hard to say what I think. Saying the photographer was doing his 'job' instead of making the attempt to save a man's life doesn't get a pass from me. For the other people standing around that probably just watched, could be they saw it as a futile effort to make the attempt, they were struck with fear at what was going on before their eyes or they just didn't care. Maybe everyone saw that no one else was helping so they didn't bother to help themselves. One person going to help could have made the difference. I think I've had this discussion before on here and someone tried to explain it to me with a particular name for it.

I remember reading a story a few years back (think it was also in NY) about a man that was stabbed/shot and was bleeding out on the sidewalk and people just either walked over him or walked up to took pictures with their cellphones. Don't think anyone called 911 or anything (if I remember the story correctly). Just hearing about stuff like that drags my view on humanity into the negatives.

Message 4 of 22 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 5, 2012

Typical media scum.  Just remember the general media credo; "If it bleeds, it leads".

Sad, truly sad.  

I agree; in that, maybe the timing was so fast, no one could have really helped the man. Using whatever time there was to pull up the camera and snap the shot, leaves the question of whether the photographer was even interested in helping.

Moble 

Message 5 of 22 (202 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39470 posts

Dec 5, 2012

I've been discussing this with my wife this morning, she said she's not condemning anyone in this situation per se, how can she she said because she wasn't there, she also said that she & no one else can ever know how they'll react when faced with a situation that requires swift & immediate action, however she did say that if she was ever in need of help she didn't want the photographer being anywhere near her!

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 6 of 22 (200 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Dec 5, 2012

Just learned that the photographer is getting hammered.  As well as the NY POST.  The post had time to think about this before they printed it.  No ethics for them!  

Message 7 of 22 (194 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7546 posts

Dec 5, 2012

Ok this is trajic, sad, wrong, and this is the exact reason I avoid the majority of the "news."  I will try my best to explain myself.

1. I do understand somewhat the newspaper for using it.  They need to make money, this is the kind of thing that sells. HOWEVER I do not condone it. I think it is morally and ethically wrong for this to have happened.  To take the last seconds of the man's life and blast it like that before the family even has a chance to process any of it sickens me.  This was a horrible mistake and totally discredits this source of "news" paper.  I'm not sure how the person that authorized this to be printed sleeps at night.

2. The photographer was "just doing his job" is bull. Period.  A man's life is on the line in front of you, you have a chance be it a small one to save him.... and you take a picture? censor this>>>> **bleep** you buddy.  I hope the 300 bucks he got for that photo was worth him having to live with the fact that he could have done something.

3. Clearly this upsets me.  As far as the whole " I don't know what I'd do in that situation" mantra goes.... I encourage you to think long and hard on that.  What kind of person do you consider yourself to be? If you consider yourself selfless and a good person you would do something, anything to try and help that man.  If you would just stand there..... that speaks volumes.

Message 8 of 22 (189 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8267 posts

Dec 5, 2012

Thats really messed up...

But believe it or not that is not the first time ive heard of something like that happening.

When I used to live in NY a few times I  heard either someone was pushed or someone fell onto the tracks leading up to death.

But that cameraman is wrong regardless he didnt even help. And being in NY I know there was more people around.There is alot of grimy people that would watch another person get hurt and just keep walking like nothing happened.

I dont know people can be really mean sometimes.

Message 9 of 22 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Dec 5, 2012
Poilce made an arrest in this case. Not the guy who I wanted to go but the guy who pushed him is under arrest.
Message 10 of 22 (156 Views)
0 Likes