Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/12/2013
Offline
5477 posts
 

Re: The Death Penalty

Jul 20, 2013

maarillianaire wrote:
Im Christian as well,but there is a time for everything,and a season for all under God,and remember there comes a time when punishment must be dealt and the grace period expires,most likely the mans gonna kill himself,most lifers in prison do,if God didnt want the Death Penalty,then it wouldnt exist. It serves its purpose.

I'm really sorry to be the guy that brings this up, but you do not get to justify secular policy with religious dogma.  That may be why you hold the opinion that you do because of your faith, but that faith alone is not justification for any law, in any country that has separation of church and state.

 

The only reason I bring this up is that I think this debate has the potential to be very interesting - and very civil.  The second people start propping up their opinions with their faith (no matter how benign or sincere), the discussion is going to completely fly off of the rails.

 

Some people get their morality from religious faith; others do not.  The common ground is that we all have a set of values that definite our view.

 

If we can agree on that, then we can agree to discuss our views on the death penalty, not the source of our morality. It's not my thread, and I don't mean to intrude, but can we try that?  I'm just tired of threads getting derailed into arguments that lose their relevance to the original topic.

 

 

Grindhead_Jim

Message 11 of 35 (118 Views)
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/27/2013
Offline
923 posts
 

Re: The Death Penalty

Jul 20, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

maarillianaire wrote:
Im Christian as well,but there is a time for everything,and a season for all under God,and remember there comes a time when punishment must be dealt and the grace period expires,most likely the mans gonna kill himself,most lifers in prison do,if God didnt want the Death Penalty,then it wouldnt exist. It serves its purpose.

I'm really sorry to be the guy that brings this up, but you do not get to justify secular policy with religious dogma.  That may be why you hold the opinion that you do because of your faith, but that faith alone is not justification for any law, in any country that has separation of church and state.

 

The only reason I bring this up is that I think this debate has the potential to be very interesting - and very civil.  The second people start propping up their opinions with their faith (no matter how benign or sincere), the discussion is going to completely fly off of the rails.

 

Some people get their morality from religious faith; others do not.  The common ground is that we all have a set of values that definite our view.

 

If we can agree on that, then we can agree to discuss our views on the death penalty, not the source of our morality. It's not my thread, and I don't mean to intrude, but can we try that?  I'm just tired of threads getting derailed into arguments that lose their relevance to the original topic.

 

 


If i offended u by simply stating my religion then i apologize. But if u think abt it,u are using ur faith,Atheism to dismiss mine,and our country was founded on God so please dont whine abt Christianity. Naturally,personal beliefs will be a factor in every other belief in life,so i dont see your point. All i did was say where i stood and still stand on the matter. And putting my religion aside,i still have the same perspective on it.
.................!!!
Message 12 of 35 (114 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/12/2013
Offline
5477 posts
 

Re: The Death Penalty

Jul 20, 2013

maarillianaire wrote:

If i offended u by simply stating my religion then i apologize.

No need to apologize.  I was not offended.


maarillianaire wrote:

But if u think abt it,u are using ur faith,Atheism to dismiss mine,and our country was founded on God so please dont whine abt Christianity.

 First off, you assume I am an atheist.  I am not. 

 

Secondly, I am not going to get drawn into a debate about the founding fathers or the constitution in this thread.  Separation of church and state exists in America.  That's not up for debate.  Also, I used the words "faith" and "religion" for a reason.  My point is the same, no matter what religion you practice.

 

Third, I think I made a fairly rational and humble request.  Don't accuse me of whining just because we disagree.

 


maarillianaire wrote:

putting my religion aside,i still have the same perspective on it.

 Thank you for ultimately proving my point.  Can we please move on? Thanks. Smiley Happy

 

 

Grindhead_Jim

Message 13 of 35 (109 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 08/24/2008
Offline
4170 posts
 

Re: The Death Penalty

Jul 20, 2013

If they are absolutely sure you killed someone. Like that theatre guy whatever his name is, they should kill you at the scene of the crime honestly. There is no need for a trial if they see you with their own eyes killing innocent people.

 

 

Message 14 of 35 (101 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/18/2012
Offline
4354 posts
 

Re: The Death Penalty

Jul 20, 2013
Well, after doing a lot of thinking on it (that's a lie), I think that ultimately, the death penalty isn't exactly punishment. Given that most criminals who commit crimes that result in the death penalty when caught know what they're getting into, they're pretty much ready to die anyways. Next, you have the brilliant point you made at the start, which is the fact that there are better punishment options. I'd rather die than have a life sentence in jail, where I would probably die. If you die, they pretty much put you to sleep using drugs, so you don't feel much pain. Man, I think this is wrong. Mind me for being rather extreme on the topic, but I think that all deaths in result to the death penalty should be long, drawn-out and painful.
Message 15 of 35 (98 Views)
Sackboy
Registered: 03/09/2009
Offline
415 posts
 

Re: The Death Penalty

[ Edited ]
Jul 20, 2013
This is a pretty heavy subject. Here is my two cents on the whole prison system. It's a tax sucking joke. Yes in some cases the person that breaks the law does their time and they are reformed. They go on to live a decent productive life. In most cases the individual ends up right back in prison. Leaching off the tax payer till they are released and head back to commit more crimes. I wish the system was run differently. I won't go any further into the ways I wish the corrections system is run. Because my views may be extreme to others. Sufficed to say I am for the death penalty in cases of murder and the like.
 photo 241cbbb8-c0fa-4ff8-92f5-868a50a26232.jpg
Message 16 of 35 (83 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 03/01/2010
Offline
24784 posts
 

Re: The Death Penalty

Jul 20, 2013

maarillianaire wrote:
Im Christian as well,but there is a time for everything,and a season for all under God,and remember there comes a time when punishment must be dealt and the grace period expires,most likely the mans gonna kill himself,most lifers in prison do,if God didnt want the Death Penalty,then it wouldnt exist. It serves its purpose.

Sorry for the subject change but this is too good to pass up.

 

By that reasoning God must want abortions too. Otherwise they wouldn't exist. Usually it's the religious people wanting abortions outlawed. Your perspective is refreshing.

Message 17 of 35 (77 Views)
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/27/2013
Offline
923 posts
 

Re: The Death Penalty

Jul 20, 2013

ne1atall wrote:

maarillianaire wrote:
Im Christian as well,but there is a time for everything,and a season for all under God,and remember there comes a time when punishment must be dealt and the grace period expires,most likely the mans gonna kill himself,most lifers in prison do,if God didnt want the Death Penalty,then it wouldnt exist. It serves its purpose.

Sorry for the subject change but this is too good to pass up.

 

By that reasoning God must want abortions too. Otherwise they wouldn't exist. Usually it's the religious people wanting abortions outlawed. Your perspective is refreshing.


Theres a difference,Death Penalties existed back in Biblical times,abortion is just being legalized. You are twisting my words like a typical anti-God person. Now what i meant by that was,God did order certain people to kill certain others because of horrible crimes such as murder, but abortion is much different. Please stop being ignorant and learn to understand plain English.
.................!!!
Message 18 of 35 (73 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 07/08/2013
Offline
1668 posts
 

Re: The Death Penalty

Jul 20, 2013
I am against the death penalty because some innocent people die, it costs more (because of the many trials), and someone would suffer more through several years of jail rather than a quick death.
Message 19 of 35 (67 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 07/16/2012
Online
14142 posts
 

Re: The Death Penalty

Jul 20, 2013

While I generally don't agree with the death penalty, I can somewhat agree that the person may sit in jail for several years without an ounce of remorse for what they done to their victims before they're excuted with a needle or die from natural causes.

 

I can also agree with your four reasons on why you're against captial punishment, bob-maul. That's because I also can't imagine myself killing a victim because it'll be game over for the both of us, me sitting in jail and my victim's life and joy taken away.

Playstation Telephone Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-8:00pm PST (Closed on Saturdays & Sundays)
Customer Service - 1-800-345-7669
Account and Billing Support - 1-877-971-7669
Sony Rewards - 1-888-715-7669
Message 20 of 35 (62 Views)
Reply
0 Likes